Brewer Fanatic

Hart Trade Thread: Latest-- Does Hart's injury mean no deal?

Three reasons I dont want Sanchez.

1. Age, would be 28 next year, combined with;

2. Control issues, combined with

3. Service time, I believe he will be at 4+ at the end of the year, which leaves him with 2 years left. Id be looking for at least 3 years from a pitcher.

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hart alone isn't going to net Bumgarner. We'd have to send a good prospect or two as well. Hart, Rivas +, maybe.

I would imagine we would have to give up a 5th starter in any deal with them to replace Sanchez or Bumgarner in there rotation.

Would a package of Hart, Narveson/Bush/Capuano or even Parra + another piece be enough to bring back Bumgarner?

@WiscoSportsNut

Hart alone isn't going to net Bumgarner. We'd have to send a good prospect or two as well. Hart, Rivas +, maybe.

I would imagine we would have to give up a 5th starter in any deal with them to replace Sanchez or Bumgarner in there rotation.

Would a package of Hart, Narveson/Bush/Capuano or even Parra + another piece be enough to bring back Bumgarner?

That would be great if Hart and Narveson or Bush or Capunao could get Bumgarner. I hope they don't trade Hart for Sanchez, not a big fan of his. He is Manny Parra, but slightly better.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I am definitely all for trading Hart as I am not convinced that he will be able to keep having as much success as he has had this season. I definitely don't want Sanchez due to age but would take Bumgarner in a heartbeat.

All the rumors from the past 24 hours seem to indicate that the Giants would love Hart, but the Brewers aren't sure they want to trade him now. I wonder (pure speculation) if that's because the Giants tried offering Sanchez and the Brewers are holding out for more/a different pitcher.

It's also kind of funny reading comments from fans on both sides. Brewers fans are saying, "Why would we want Jonathan Sanchez? He's just going to be another Manny Parra." Giants fans are saying "Why would we want Corey Hart? He's just going to be another Aaron Rowand."

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

I would think any trade with the Giants would happen at the end of this series, not in the middle of it. It'd be awfully strange to see Hart starting in a Giants uniform, in Miller Park, tonight or tommorow! In fact, while I'm sure it has happened a few times in MLB history, I cannot recall such a scenario

All the rumors from the past 24 hours seem to indicate that the Giants would love Hart, but the Brewers aren't sure they want to trade him now. I wonder (pure speculation) if that's because the Giants tried offering Sanchez and the Brewers are holding out for more/a different pitcher.

It's also kind of funny reading comments from fans on both sides. Brewers fans are saying, "Why would we want Jonathan Sanchez? He's just going to be another Manny Parra." Giants fans are saying "Why would we want Corey Hart? He's just going to be another Aaron Rowand."

There definitely seems to be some GM posturing. First SF says they're interested in Hart. Then Melvin says "maybe we'll hold onto him." Then SF says "maybe we aren't that high on him... he could just be on a hot streak." Both teams seem interested and are just trying to play their cards right. Melvin's saying that if we don't get enough in trade we just won't trade him, and Sabean's saying that if we ask too much they'll look elsewhere. Who knows, maybe another team will jump into this. I'd have to imagine that the Padres, Dodgers and Rockies don't want the Giants to land Hart.

I agree it's funny reading the comments. "Maybe they'll take Cain and Sanchez off our hands. They both stink." "I sure hope we aren't looking at Fielder, we have enough fat guys on the team." "If we're trading Sanchez, I think we should target Braun."

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I would think any trade with the Giants would happen at the end of this series, not in the middle of it. It'd be awfully strange to see Hart starting in a Giants uniform, in Miller Park, tonight or tommorow! In fact, while I'm sure it has happened a few times in MLB history, I cannot recall such a scenario
When the Brewers traded for Ray Durham, he refused to play or make the trade official until after the series, "out of respect for his former teamates" or something like that.

A month ago I would have been thrilled to trade Hart for a #3ish pitcher but since the interview where Hart admitted his slacking my opinion has changed. He seems to finally be maturing and understanding that he has a gift which requires hard work to optimize. No more lollygagging on the bases and on defense. The new Corey Hart has arrived at last.

For what it's worth, I saw Brandon Belt in AA Richmond a couple days ago and he looked really good (in only his 2nd or 3rd game). You have to take his Cal League stats with a grain of salt, but the power's legit and I think he'll hit for decent contact/average too. He has a nice, balanced stance and generates tremendous bat-speed with a stroke that was much more compact than I expected for a power hitter in his first pro season. I think he's a definite player to target in a Fielder deal, but not a player Hart could return.

Thomas Neal has looked good the couple times I've seen him too. He has a CANNON arm in the OF - one of the best OF arms I've seen in person - and does a good job staying back on pitches and taking what the pitcher gives him (going back up the middle, oppo field, etc). Don't see a star player, but definitely a solid contributor.

Belt looks like an awesome hitter, but he's a 1st baseman. The Brewers already have five 1st basemen in their starting lineup. They need guys that can defend an actual position. Neal is OK, but Caleb Gindl is just as good at the same level, and is a year younger.

I really don't think the Giants need to do anything. Pat Burrel has been a huge addition, Huff is good, Posey is finding his footing, and Sandoval is starting to wake up. If they add something, it should be a middle infielder.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Please whomever comes here for Hart let him be a hard thrower.
And can throw strikes!! If it would be Sanchez I will probably just cry ha be such a wasted trade. If we can somehow get Bumgardner (maybe Hart wins HR Derby and MVP of the All-Star game or the Giants just like him that much) I cwould be estatic! A true 1 or 2 pitcher to go with Yo. He's still only 20 but can't complain about he has already done in his first 3 starts. Parra is the only pitcher outside of Yo I really care about staying on the team. So if it takes one of pitchers who is not Parra or Yo get it done.

[quote author=X ellence wrote:

[/b]I really don't think the Giants need to do anything. Pat Burrel has been a huge addition, Huff is good, Posey is finding his footing, and Sandoval is starting to wake up. If they add something, it should be a middle infielder.

SF uses Travis Ishikara at 1B much of the time. Needless to say, they'll be adding a 1B or OF before the deadline.

trwi7]Rosenthal tweets that the Brewers and Giants are expected to talk about Hart before the Giants leave tomorrow. The Brewers like Jonathan Sanchez but it remains to be seen if a deal can work.
As much as I hope this is not true and that Melvin would have the brass to stand his ground.....Given the Brewers' history with these types of things, I would bet on Hart + one of the relievers for Sanchez and scraps (multiple 'prospects' to make the deal look better). Going further, it won't happen until after the break, in order to spare the negative P.R. for the Crew. A true Sal Bando/Dean Taylor special.

I'm sure we'll hear a lot about the Sanchez no-hitter from the spin doctors during the broadcasts. Maybe we could make a drinking game out of it during Sanchez starts. Take a drink every time Bill and Brian use the word 'nasty', 'stuff'', or 'potential', finish your drink when they mention the no-hitter during a Sanchez start, everyone take a shot if Mark A. or Melvin mentions the no-hitter during the broadcast, bang your head against the wall every time he walks a batter, turn the TV off if he doesn't make it through the 5th, etc.. Terrible trade.

Sanchez's BB/9 and K/9 ratios are almost identical to Nolan Ryan's, so I would not worry about that. Sanchez is still just a solid SP rather than an ace because he throws so many pitches and is unable to go more than 6 innings many nights, something Ryan did not experience, to say the least.

Is he developing slowly and still getting better? Possibly. Or maybe he'll settle in as a 4 ERA guy who throws about 180-190 frames a year. Doubtful he's ever a top guy, but you're not going to get an ace for Hart, especially not 1.5 seasons of a pretty expensive Hart.

You don't hear trade rumors for Yo, and for good reason. You gotta get those top guys while they still are prospects, one way or another.

I'm not at all against getting Sanchez depending what comes with him. He'd be a major upgrade to Parra and Narveson. While I don't see Sanchez developing into a #1 or even a #2 I think he's a solid #3 type guy which we badly need. We also need a #2 guy badly but that would have to wait for another day. I'd love to get Schierholtz back with him as well as I think he's been majorly underutilized in San Fran.

A month ago I would have been thrilled to trade Hart for a #3ish pitcher but since the interview where Hart admitted his slacking my opinion has changed. He seems to finally be maturing and understanding that he has a gift which requires hard work to optimize. No more lollygagging on the bases and on defense. The new Corey Hart has arrived at last.
Or he seems like a guy that is looking to land a big contract. After what he admitted, I would have a really difficult time making a long-term comittment to him.

As for trade possibilities, if all the Giants are going to give us for him is Sanchez, then perhaps we need to look into sweetening the pot a bit. Sanchez has been good this year but what we need is someone that we can depend on to be a difference maker, NOT a 27 year old with a 4.50 career ERA (1.41 WHIP) who is having a career year.

Either package something with Hart or go after a minor leaguer with big-time upside.

Archived