Brewer Fanatic

Hart Trade Thread: Latest-- Does Hart's injury mean no deal?

http://twitter.com/jordan...ing/statuses/19514691287

Jordan Schelling says Gerut started a rehab assignment today. Could this mean a Hart trade is being prepared for?

I doubt it. Gerut has been on the DL since May. At some point he had to start rehab, right?
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hart's injury is another reason I'd like to see a deal done ASAP. Thankfully, it looks like Corey will be back in action in a day or two, but had that been a broken wrist, we could've just given up one of our best chances of getting some decent pitching. While Melvin needs to get the best deal possible, he does need to pull the trigger at some point. If a good deal is on the table, there's a lot of risk in waiting. Someone could get injured, or the other team could look elsewhere.

I know there used to be a "gentleman's agreement" not to claim players going through waivers after deadline, but I don't know if that's the case anymore. Baseball is more business than it's ever been, and I can't see teams letting useful players slip by. That said, I think most players are put through waivers just to see who's claimed (then waivers is revoked) and who makes it through. I wouldn't just put blind faith in our players making it through waivers. It's much more practical to get a deal done prior to the trade deadline. It's somewhat worrisome that it's July 26 and Melvin hasn't even made a minor move (Edmonds, Counsell, Inglett, Bush, Hoffman).

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I'd hold Fielder bet you can get more for him in off-season.

Hart to the Rays for Wade Davis, Matt Joyce, & Benoit

I'd assume if a trade like that was possible, it would have happened by now. I guess things can change in the next five days, though.

Yeah, teams get more desperate.

I'd try to work a three team deal possibly. Possibly even send Prince to one team and Corey to the other and have the team A (contender) send a young Major Leaguer or high ML bat to team B (contender) and have them send a starter over to team A and load up on prospects from both teams. Crazy!

Just a little trade idea I came up with.

Red Sox Get:

OF Corey Hart

Brewers Get:

SP Felix Doubront

3B Michael Almanzar

Doubront made 3 starts this year and already posted a better WAR than any Brewers starter not named Gallardo (This made me laugh). I think he could be pretty close to helping out, possibly right now, or in the rotation for next year. This is really just on a whim, since I saw a report that the Red Sox were serious about getting David DeJesus before his injury.

@rcon14: Yeah, I think a 3-team deal could work out. I'm not entirely sure who we could involve in such a deal, maybe the White Sox and Rays? Send Prince to the White Sox and Corey to the Rays, and get an influx of prospects from both teams?

Red Sox Get:

OF Corey Hart

Brewers Get:

SP Felix Doubront

3B Michael Almanzar

Doubront made 3 starts this year and already posted a better WAR than any Brewers starter not named Gallardo (This made me laugh). I think he could be pretty close to helping out, possibly right now, or in the rotation for next year. This is really just on a whim, since I saw a report that the Red Sox were serious about getting David DeJesus before his injury.

@rcon14: Yeah, I think a 3-team deal could work out. I'm not entirely sure who we could involve in such a deal, maybe the White Sox and Rays? Send Prince to the White Sox and Corey to the Rays, and get an influx of prospects from both teams?

I saw you posted that in mlbtraderumors too, and I don't think it'd be a bad idea, but I'm curious as to what we could do with a 3-way deal.

Red Sox Get:

OF Corey Hart

Brewers Get:

SP Felix Doubront

3B Michael Almanzar

I sure hope that the Brewers can get more than this for Corey Hart. Neither of these players are top prospects by any means.

John Sickels had neither player ranked in the top 22 Red Sox prospects coming into the year.

I'm still crossing my fingers that we can get some pitching from Atlanta (Randall Delgado, Aroldys Vizcaino, Brandon Beachy, etc.)

Think getting either Mike Minor from the Braves or Wade Davis from the Rays is a pipedream.

Getting Madison Bumgarner from the Giants for him is nothing more than a fantasy.

Red Sox Get:

OF Corey Hart

Brewers Get:

SP Felix Doubront

3B Michael Almanzar

I sure hope that the Brewers can get more than this for Corey Hart. Neither of these players are top prospects by any means.

John Sickels had neither player ranked in the top 22 Red Sox prospects coming into the year.

I'm still crossing my fingers that we can get some pitching from Atlanta (Randall Delgado, Aroldys Vizcaino, Brandon Beachy, etc.)

Think getting either Mike Minor from the Braves or Wade Davis from the Rays is a pipedream.

Getting Madison Bumgarner from the Giants for him is nothing more than a fantasy.

According to SoxProspects.com, Doubront is the Sox 5th best prospect. Now, I'm not sure how credible this source is, but on every scouting report on all of the 60 prospects listed on that site, it seems to be extremely accurate. Also, if the Red Sox don't consider Doubront a top prospect, why did they call him up to replace Buchholz when he went on the DL? Wouldn't they have just called up one of their "top prospects" like Casey Kelly, Michael Bowden, Junichi Tazawa, or Stolmy Pimentel? (Also, I'm not sure about the list you linked to. The guy had Michael Bowden as their 5th best prospect, and I just can't see Bowden ever being that good... Heck, he's been compared to Jeff Suppan). I mean, Doubront and Bowden have both started games in the Majors, and Doubront has pitched better in those starts than Bowden did in his... just sayin'.

We probably won't get anything from Atlanta, since they don't seem terribly interested. As for Wade Davis, he's much more likely to be moved than you might think, considering just how bad he's been this season, and considering the Rays have Hellickson waiting. Bumgarner from the Giants was definitely nothing more than a fantasy.

Three team deal with the White Sox, Rays, and Brewers? White Sox get Fielder, Rays get Hart, Brewers get Dan Hudson, Wade Davis, Jordan Danks, Matthew Sweeney, and Dayan Viciedo. (I'm not sure, though, what the White Sox and Rays would send each other...)

I don't understand why it seems everyone (Melvin included if reports are true) believes that Bumgarner is the only piece the Giants have to offer in a trade. Belt and Wheeler are both exciting prospects. I'd be very intrigued by a deal featuring either of them. The Giants may not be willing to part with either, but unlike Bumgarner, they strike me as reasonable targets to ask about.

I just want to hurry up and get Corey in the lineup so offers start coming in.

Yeah, I have to agree with that. He's not in tonight's lineup. Maybe he'll be back in tomorrow?

As for Belt and Wheeler, I doubt we could get both. If we could, I think Melvin would have to jump on that deal.

Doug said it nicely today, that no team wants to give up anyone on their major league roster, instead they offer a couple A ball guys. For instance, the Sox can't trade Danks, or they'd have to trade for another SP. Ditto for SF.

We don't need to be going after someone on a major league roster necessarilly. Someone capable of helping us in Nashville or Huntsville this year would be fine. We are going nowhere this year, so why do we need major league roster bodies for certain. Sounds like Doug is passing on Erwin Santana and getting ready to deal Prince for Cordero, Mench, and Nix...

Maybe Gamel will be the throw in that we add as a sweetener to get three major league guys back in a trade.

Sounds like Doug is passing on Erwin Santana and getting ready to deal Prince for Cordero, Mench, and Nix...
This is easily my biggest fear. Take the best talent you can get. If that talent is in the majors, great. If that talent is in A+, do it. I don't want to limit the talent that we get because they weren't major leaguers or weren't major league ready.

I almost cried at your last sentence HtR. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif

Corey with a soft cast on the wrist tonight. It was said his thumb nail was lost and most of the pain is coming through the thumb. They also said he is hoping to be back by the end of this series. If he is back that soon, I have to think he will be traded if he is 100%. Otherwise there is no reason to rush him back this fast.

trwi7[/b]]
Sounds like Doug is passing on Erwin Santana and getting ready to deal Prince for Cordero, Mench, and Nix...
This is easily my biggest fear. Take the best talent you can get. If that talent is in the majors, great. If that talent is in A+, do it. I don't want to limit the talent that we get because they weren't major leaguers or weren't major league ready.

I almost cried at your last sentence HtR. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif

I have been thinking about this for a while. In hindsight, do u think the Indians wish they would have Cain over Brantley. DM should be concerned about getting the best baseball players available, not the 2010 attendance or 2011 roster

According to SoxProspects.com, Doubront is the Sox 5th best prospect. Now, I'm not sure how credible this source is, but on every scouting report on all of the 60 prospects listed on that site, it seems to be extremely accurate. Also, if the Red Sox don't consider Doubront a top prospect, why did they call him up to replace Buchholz when he went on the DL? Wouldn't they have just called up one of their "top prospects" like Casey Kelly, Michael Bowden, Junichi Tazawa, or Stolmy Pimentel? (Also, I'm not sure about the list you linked to. The guy had Michael Bowden as their 5th best prospect, and I just can't see Bowden ever being that good... Heck, he's been compared to Jeff Suppan). I mean, Doubront and Bowden have both started games in the Majors, and Doubront has pitched better in those starts than Bowden did in his... just sayin'.

SoxProspects.com is definitely a legit site, as evidenced by the weekly collaborations they do with ESPN Boston on the Red Sox minor league system and players. The main difference is that Sickels' rankings were done in the offseason, while the SoxProspects rankings are updated weekly. Doubront has had a lot of helium this year - due to adding a little bit of velocity and outperforming people's expectations in the high minors. That said, SP.com had him ranked #11 in the offseason and has been on prospect-followers' radar for the past few years, so he hasn't come out of nowhere. While definitely a solid prospect, Doubront is another guy with mid-rotation ceiling - which in my mind is all Hart is worth. Personally, I wouldn't give up any of Wheeler, Belt, Doubront, etc. for Hart because I don't think he's better than an .800-.820 OPS hitter, but we all have different opinions.

People are thinking a little too inside-the-box here. While Hart or Bush alone might not net a top prospect, I would gladly throw in a mid-level prospect or two along with Bush or Hart to get better prospect. I.e. someone like Rivas, Scarpetta, Lasker, Gindl, Bucci, Komatsu, Butler, Fiers, Dykstra, etc. Other teams value prospects as much as the Brewers do, so if they are getting a prospect in return they might be willing to give up more.

And if Gamel is either not putting in the work to become a better defensive 3B or is putting in the work but not capable of being a better 3B then they have to move him to RF. Which means another year in the minors learning to play the OF, which means he won't be in the majors until 2012. With that in mind...

... wouldn't you add Gamel to Hart to get Bumgarner or two top pitching prospects from the Giants? Or to get two top pitching prospects from the Braves? Maybe the Braves think they can make Gamel into a 3B, as they will need one with Jones retiring soon.

People are thinking a little too inside-the-box here. While Hart or Bush alone might not net a top prospect, I would gladly throw in a mid-level prospect or two along with Bush or Hart to get better prospect. I.e. someone like Rivas, Scarpetta, Lasker, Gindl, Bucci, Komatsu, Butler, Fiers, Dykstra, etc. Other teams value prospects as much as the Brewers do, so if they are getting a prospect in return they might be willing to give up more.

And if Gamel is either not putting in the work to become a better defensive 3B or is putting in the work but not capable of being a better 3B then they have to move him to RF. Which means another year in the minors learning to play the OF, which means he won't be in the majors until 2012. With that in mind...

... wouldn't you add Gamel to Hart to get Bumgarner or two top pitching prospects from the Giants? Or to get two top pitching prospects from the Braves? Maybe the Braves think they can make Gamel into a 3B, as they will need one with Jones retiring soon.

I agree with everything you said there. However, I'd be hesitant to deal Gamel, simply because we really don't have much at 3B in the minors beyond him. If it could get us a very good prospect, though, I would probably be willing to deal Gamel

While definitely a solid prospect, Doubront is another guy with mid-rotation ceiling - which in my mind is all Hart is worth. Personally, I wouldn't give up any of Wheeler, Belt, Doubront, etc. for Hart because I don't think he's better than an .800-.820 OPS hitter, but we all have different opinions.

I'm with you, which is why it's painful for me to think that Melvin may turn down decent pitching in a seemingly futile effort to convince other GM's that Hart is worth a top-of-the-rotation arm. I'd be happy to trade Hart for a near-MLB-ready #3-ish SP. Then we could trade Prince for a bunch of talent that doesn't have to be MLB ready.

And if Gamel is either not putting in the work to become a better defensive 3B or is putting in the work but not capable of being a better 3B then they have to move him to RF. Which means another year in the minors learning to play the OF, which means he won't be in the majors until 2012.

While I agree it would take some time, I would think that if they'd move him now so he can play the rest of this season in RF, he should be capable of playing the position next year for the Brewers. I wouldn't think it would take him a year and a half to learn RF. That said, I'm not against trading him, but we do have to draw the line somewhere, as we can't trade all of our position players to get starting pitchers.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

How about a Hart/McGehee package to San Fran for Bumgarner/Torres?

I would definitely be up for that. Braun/Cain/Torres is a super fast outfield. Gomez can be the backup.

Why would we want Torres? He's 32 already, although he is having a good season.

I had asked about this the other day in an ESPN.com Insider chat with some of the ESPN reporters. I asked them if Casey McGehee to the Phillies made any sense. They seemed to like the idea, and we could probably get a nice pitching prospect in return for Casey alone (specifically, they mentioned someone like Trevor May).

I do like the idea of including someone besides Hart in a trade, though, if it would get us better talent.

I don't think SF would think Hart/McGehee would be enough for Bumgarner. That's the problem with any of these proposals, the value of a somewhat proven high-quality starting pitcher is higher than what logic would tell us.

Also, as far as including Gamel in a deal...I don't see that either. He's not going to get fair value either. Plus, the Brewers really need LH bats, especially since Fielder will most likely move on at some point.

Archived