Brewer Fanatic

Hart Trade Thread: Latest-- Does Hart's injury mean no deal?

I don't know how Lars Anderson would be a replacement for Fielder, he's not close to be ready. In AAA at the same age Escobar was last year, he has a lower OPS than Escobar did, and Escobar's wasn't good. Escobar is hitting to his MLEs this year, with a 643 OPS. Pretty sure I don't want that kind of production at 1B.

The Red Sox have a decent farm system, but its abysmal if you compare it to other teams by dollars spent per production. If it wasn't for overslot signings, they'd be terrible.

Just to play Devil's advocate . . . the Red Sox also rarely get the opportunity to pick in the top 2/3 of the first round, where you get elite advanced talent with upside (except this year!). Where the sox pick, you usually have to select a raw toolsy player with high-end upside, or a more advanced high-floor player with a slightly lower ceiling. In my mind, the Sox have done a great job stocking the lower minors with high-upside lottery tickets and have a deep system that should start to bear fruit at the upper levels in the next couple years.

On your other points, I agree completely. Bowden's FB tendencies and average K-rate make him a less-than-ideal fit for the Brewers, and Lars is definitely not ready to start in the majors . . . yet. However, he might be the most interesting/thoughtful person in baseball. If any of you are bored, look for some interview transcripts. They're great.

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On your other points, I agree completely. Bowden's FB tendencies and average K-rate make him a less-than-ideal fit for the Brewers, and Lars is definitely not ready to start in the majors . . . yet. However, he might be the most interesting/thoughtful person in baseball. If any of you are bored, look for some interview transcripts. They're great.
Being interesting/thoughtful are something you don't want to see on a scouting report that usually means you are a AAAA player or worse a career minor leaguer. Both of which I could see Anderson becoming.

I'm going to be very upset with Melvin if Corey Hart isn't traded for pitching. There are multiple teams interested, and if he can't work something out, to me, it just continues to show how incapable he is of acquiring pitching. If any one lesson can be learned from the past two seasons, it's that all offense and no pitching is not going to make you a contender. Yes, you can't just give Corey Hart away, but his value is about as high as it's ever going to be, so he should be able to get a decent prospect or two. He also has never had the kind of pieces to trade for pitching as he does now. You need to take a chance on young pitching. Teams like Atlanta and TB have plenty to choose from, but you can't expect too much, which I have a feeling is what he is doing. This team is not going to go anywhere next season without pitching, and it's become obvious that free agency is not the way to go (for various reasons). I don't really care what he does....just do something. What we're doing now is not working.

I'm going to be very upset with Melvin if Corey Hart isn't traded for pitching. There are multiple teams interested, and if he can't work something out, to me, it just continues to show how incapable he is of acquiring pitching. If any one lesson can be learned from the past two seasons, it's that all offense and no pitching is not going to make you a contender. Yes, you can't just give Corey Hart away, but his value is about as high as it's ever going to be, so he should be able to get a decent prospect or two. He also has never had the kind of pieces to trade for pitching as he does now. You need to take a chance on young pitching. Teams like Atlanta and TB have plenty to choose from, but you can't expect too much, which I have a feeling is what he is doing. This team is not going to go anywhere next season without pitching, and it's become obvious that free agency is not the way to go (for various reasons). I don't really care what he does....just do something. What we're doing now is not working.

Doing something just to do something would be the worst possible move imo.

It's clear Melvin is trying to acquire pitching - as evidenced by him asking for Bumgarner or Sanchez from the Giants. If teams aren't going to give up good young pitching (Sanchez doesn't even fall into the young category) then there is no point in trading Hart right now. If he continues to rake the rest of the season, his trade value will be higher in the offseason.

The Red Sox also have the ability to carry double the payroll if they want. They can overpay slot value on any player that falls in the draft, get a ton of comp picks for players that were offered arbitration. Not to mention they can afford $50 million just to negotiate a contract with a player.

Being interesting/thoughtful are something you don't want to see on a scouting report that usually means you are a AAAA player or worse a career minor leaguer.

It actually read to me like he was making a completely different, throw-in point. That's quite the leap in logic from you.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Being interesting/thoughtful are something you don't want to see on a scouting report that usually means you are a AAAA player or worse a career minor leaguer.

It actually read to me like he was making a completely different, throw-in point. That's quite the leap in logic from you.

Wasn't basing it off of what he said just stating that when you have something being said like that for a player it usually means they stink and you just want to find something nice to say about them. Which I believe right now Lars Anderson isn't anything more than a AAAA player or a career minor leaguer.

Which I believe right now Lars Anderson isn't anything more than a AAAA player or a career minor leaguer.

I think your jumping the gun on that, he's 22 years old. I said earlier I don't see him ready to replace Fielder now, but Anderson could be real good 2 years from now at age 24.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Wasn't basing it off of what he said just stating that when you have something being said like that for a player it usually means they stink and you just want to find something nice to say about them.

My point was that I took it as 804Sox's own insight, not him regurgitating it from scouting reports.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I think your jumping the gun on that, he's 22 years old. I said earlier I don't see him ready to replace Fielder now, but Anderson could be real good 2 years from now at age 24.

I just don't see him being anything more than a AAAA player. He should be dominating in AAA this year as it is his 2nd or third time in AAA at this time and he isn't. I just don't think he will develop enough power to be anything but a AAAA player.

I just don't see him being anything more than a AAAA player. He should be dominating in AAA this year as it is his 2nd or third time in AAA at this time and he isn't.

It's his first time.

It's his first time.

I thought he was in AAA last year. NVM it was his AA time that it I was thinking about. I still don't see him adding much power and his numbers are not all that good he feels more like an over hyped east coast prospect than anything else.

It's clear Melvin is trying to acquire pitching - as evidenced by

him asking for Bumgarner or Sanchez from the Giants. If teams aren't

going to give up good young pitching (Sanchez doesn't even fall into the

young category) then there is no point in trading Hart right now. If he

continues to rake the rest of the season, his trade value will be

higher in the offseason.

True, but if he reverts to how he played for the past year and a half they'll get absolutely nothing for him. I never meant trade him just for the sake of trading, I guess I meant more of don't hold on to him because you're asking way too much for him. I think if Melvin really believes he'll get Bumgarner for Hart he needs to wake up from his fantasy. I'd settle for a number 3 pitcher because a number 3 pitcher is still better than most of what we have.

Yeah. If, for example, Sanchez is the absolute best offer you can find for Hart, I'd probably still do that trade. I wouldn't be excited about it, but at least we would have a pitcher able to help us out next season. I just can't see how Hart's value is going to be so much greater this off-season than it is right now (even if he continues hitting at his current pace). Prince I think you can make the argument for, but I'm not sure about Hart.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Hart if he can proove he's good to go in a couple of days may now be very interesting to the Tigers. Not only do they need the bat with Ordonez down, but his injury should prevent his option from vesting, so that puts the Tigers in a position to look at Hart as a longer term option. My biggest concern is that there are actually so many players to deal that Melvin can't get all of them done that should be. We can debate the merits of shooting for a revamp next year or 2012, but at a minimum: Bush, Hoffman, Riske, Counsell, Edmonds, and at least 1 of Hart or Fielder needs to be dealt. If you can't find takers for all of the spare parts it's not the end of the world, but each is an opportunity to get a little bit better in future years, and all have at least some value (even if in Hoffman's case it might just be salary relief).

LHP Andrew Oliver for Corey Hart I would do in a heartbeat. Really like that he is almost major league ready. I really love their top pitching prospect RHP Jacob Turner, but I'm sure it would take Prince for a package that included Turner.

Maybe:

RF Corey Hart

RHP Dave Bush

for

LHP Andrew Oliver

RHP Charles Furbush

I hope you are reading this Mr. Melvin. Give Dave Dombrowski a jingle.

Hart if he can proove he's good to go in a couple of days may now be very interesting to the Tigers. Not only do they need the bat with Ordonez down, but his injury should prevent his option from vesting, so that puts the Tigers in a position to look at Hart as a longer term option. My biggest concern is that there are actually so many players to deal that Melvin can't get all of them done that should be. We can debate the merits of shooting for a revamp next year or 2012, but at a minimum: Bush, Hoffman, Riske, Counsell, Edmonds, and at least 1 of Hart or Fielder needs to be dealt. If you can't find takers for all of the spare parts it's not the end of the world, but each is an opportunity to get a little bit better in future years, and all have at least some value (even if in Hoffman's case it might just be salary relief).
Neither Hart nor Fielder need to be dealt right now if the deal isn't there. Hoffman and Riske make enough that they can be moved in August and Bush is right on the cusp of that as well.

I'll agree that Hoffman an Bush could potentially make it through waivers. Riske maybe but not because of the money as much as not too many people bothering to block a middle reliever. I'm skeptical that the best deal wouldn't be right now. Two pennant races vs. one is a big value difference on top of the recent spat of OF injuries means that those two are the top bats out there. I could be led to believe that the deals were subpar because everyone was so tight fisted with their prospects that we're better off drafting our own, but I wouldn't expect that to change in the offseason or at next year's deadline.

Man....with Cody Adams, Evan Frederickson, Seth Lintz, Arnett, etc., I'd rather have Melvin pick from someone with more of a track record than trust the crapshoot of the draft. They've had too many high draft pick misses on pitching for me to be comfortable with the, "take the draft picks in the future approach." Additionally, we won't see any possible impact for years from that approach.

No way Bush makes it through waivers. Prorate his salary of $4.2M with only 38% of the season left and it comes to only $1.6M for the rest of the season. The net profit of just making the playoffs from TV revenue, ticket/parking/concession/merchandise of at least one home playoff game is probably 20x that.

Just off the top of my head, I would figure the Cards would jump at the chance to get Bush if they could. He's a pretty solid 4/5 starter, and WAY better than Suppan. So yeah, he's not making it through waivers.

Archived