Brewer Fanatic

Hart Trade Thread: Latest-- Does Hart's injury mean no deal?

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they had that many picks, they probably wouldn't have the money to sign them. Plus, even if they took college players, they would be several years out from being a decent team again.

At least one of Hart & Prince have to be traded, and probably both. I agree with Paul that it appears Hart will be moved this season in a deal involving a young pitcher, and Prince will be moved this offseason. I still think a Weeks extension could happen this offseason, moving Lawrie to a new position. If he can't be signed, he's the type of talent you don't mind losing for comp picks (as opposed to Fielder, who is the type talent where the comp picks aren't nearly enough), and Lawrie should be ready to step in to fill 2B.

If we can trade Hart for someone like Wade Davis or Minor who can step right into the rotation, we will have a full staff for next year, so we will have a lot of flexibility in dealing Fielder. For example, we could get a high quality MLB-ready starter if one is available, or we could target some high upside AA arms, a young MLB ready RF/1B, etc. From a trading perspective, Hart's hot 1st half has been a Godsend for the Brewers. We just need to strike while the iron is hot.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Holding out for all "compensation" (notice I keep putting that word in quotes) draft picks for all three of Hart, Fielder, and Weeks would be terrible. Not only are those high picks not guaranteed (see the Sabathia situation with the Yankees), but we'd be looking at a bunch of guys that would be 2-3 years out, minimum, from helping the big league club. By that point, Braun and Gallardo would be almost done with their current contracts.

My gut feeling is similar to monty. I think Hart gets traded before July 31, as I think there are a lot of clubs he could help out right now. I think Fielder will be dealt this winner, when there will be more buyers for a 1B type. And I think Weeks is kept for next season, and possibly extended (or let walk for FA and possible comp picks then).

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

If they had that many picks, they probably wouldn't have the money to

sign them

I was just kidding about that possibility. It sure would be something though wouldn't it? And I think they'd have plenty of money to sign all the picks if they do happen to go this route because you'd have probably $30 million coming off the books from those three alone.

Corey Hart is playing so great right now. It's such a hard decision. If he has actually turned the corner offensively, he could be a great asset to the team. He could actually move back to first base to replace Fielder. But if he resorts to his old status before we trade him, we've wasted an absolute golden opportunity. I'm still leaning towards trading him, but it's getting to be a tough decision.

If the Brewers didn't extend or trade any of Fielder, Hart, Weeks before their contracts expire, I'd put the percentage chance we lose all three at about zero. I am guessing we'd overpay, or at least match whichever MLB team was going to overpay, and keep at least one of Hart or Weeks. I just think there is a zero percent chance we wouldn't sign at least one of those three IF we held onto them all the way to free agency. So the point about all those draft picks is pretty darn unlikely any way you slice it.

I wonder if Hart really wanted to stay and the brewers made a good offer would he tell his agent to accept the deal?
I really believe Hart would love to stay in Milwaukee. I know athletes say things like that all the time, but for some reason I believe Hart when he's said he'd like to stay here. He's almost seemed to be asking for an extension in some of his interviews.

That said, I hope he's traded while his value is up and the Brewers hopes for the playoffs are down. All players have risks, but to me Corey's lows are too low. Nothing personal, as he seems like a good guy, and I've briefly met his family and they're nice people. The Brewers just have to make the decision that will bring the most value to the franchise, and if they can get a good pitcher they will "control" for 5-6 years, I think they have to go that route.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Just a little update from mlbtraderumors this morning:

Brewers right fielder Corey Hart is "being eyed" by the Rays and Padres, writes John Shea of the San Francisco Chronicle. Two days ago, Phil Rogers of the Chicago Tribune tweeted that the Rays "appear to be getting serious" about Hart. And don't forget the Giants, whose interest is well-known to MLBTR readers as well as Hart himself.

Hart fits a criteria shared by the Giants and Padres: he's under team control for 2011. He has about $2.16MM remaining on this year's contract, and he'll be arbitration-eligible for 2011. Hart posted an All-Star first half: .288/.349/.569 with 21 home runs and 65 RBIs in 338 plate appearances. But any suitor has to be concerned that the Brewers are selling high.

I understand the thoughts of selling high on Corey Hart and that RFs are generally a dime a dozen but what is everyone's plan if he is dealt coupled with the inevitable Prince deal?

It seems to me that we are focusing on not missing the opportunity to trade Hart, but not focusing on the realities of the everyday lineup once these two pieces are moved. Hart and Fielder both being gone for pitching opens massive holes in the lineup that are going to be filled by who...Cain, Lawrie, Gamel? Or unproven talent that very well could end up playing like LaPorta or Brantley and guaranteeing the Brewers go in the tank for the next 5 seasons. I know we aren't the Yankees and can't afford to have Hart go all Billy Hall on us, but give me the guy who has proven he can hit HRs and over .250 for his career over the shining prospect. See Hardy J v. Escobar, A. Yes, Hardy hasn't lit the world on fire in Minnesota but I personally would rather have seen him, Hart and Weeks resigned for what it will take to keep Fielder.

I'm not totally disagreeing with you guys. Prince is 100% gone and the return should soldify 1-2 SP questions with young talent i.e. Wade Davis- Matt Garza. Coupling that with a resigned Weeks and Hart is a better option than trading Fielder AND Hart and hoping for a San Francisco rotation, while having a San Diego lineup of Braun and under .250 hitters like Escobar and Gomez and whatever other prospects fill out the lineup.

As much as Corey has been a "feel good" story this year, the Brewers have to look at trading him now. I think we were all uneasy at the thought of paying $4.5MM for Corey's inconsistency. Even though he's having a great year, how will we feel about paying $8MM for the same inconsistency next year? After that, we're looking at a big, multi-year commitment. I'd love to think he's turned a corner, but I fear that we'll see the downside again at some point when Corey starts flailing a sliders in the dirt.

At the end of the day, hitting seems to be easier to draft and develop quickly (at least for this franchise). If there is quality, advanced starting pitching available I think you have to take it.

The best the Padres can probably offer is a deal centered around Simon Castro. He was the starting pitcher for the world team in the futures game. Corey Luebke could be a nice complimentary piece like Michael Brantley was in the CC Sabathia deal.

@WiscoSportsNut

I understand the thoughts of selling high on Corey Hart and that RFs are generally a dime a dozen but what is everyone's plan if he is dealt coupled with the inevitable Prince deal?

A valid concern, and one reason I'm so happy to see that other teams appear willing to give up near-MLB-ready SP for Hart. That allows us to trade Fielder for best value, which may well be a solid, young RF and 1-2 high-upside AA arms.

Or, we could sign one of Dunn, Konerko, Berkman, D. Lee to a 1-2 year deal this offseason to fill 1B.

Barring injury, I would have to think that Cain will be on the MLB roster next season. Whether we will go Braun/Cain/RF or Bruan/Gomez/Cain would be the question, and I think we need to give Gomez a lot more PT this season to see if he could be an option for CF next season, or at least to raise his trade value.

If Hart brings back someone for the rotation next season, Prince brings in a young RF, and we either sign a 1B or let McGehee/Gamel play there, we should have a decent offense to go along with vastly improved pitching, and probably better defense as Hart and Fielder are below average defenders. Lucroy and Escobar having a year's experience under their belts should help them both offensively and defensively as well.

As I said, you do have a valid point in that we can't focus solely on trading away all our offense in search of pitching, so if one of the rumored Hart-for-pitching deals goes through, I'd guess part of the "Prince package" will include an offensive player coming back.

~Bill Walsh

Good point about loss of offense Monty. Trading Hall may make sense long term but who plays RF this year- Gamel or Cain? Who plays it long term? I think the Brewers need a bat for at least this year if they trade Hart.,

Katin comes up and would platoon with Edmonds (assuming a 40 man spot opens up). Gomez would play until he gets better or drives everyone insane.

I agree with Katin/Edmonds. That would at least make us better defensively. Katin is a very strong defender.

I spent last night trying to find a minor league RF who's close to MLB ready, but there really isn't squat out there. Only Dominic Brown, and he's earmarked to replace Werth.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/98366204.html

Some interesting comments from Melvin on the trade front.

Despite many trade rumors flying around, especially with rightfielder Corey Hart, Melvin also said he is not on the verge of making any trades. He said he will engage in trade talks but isn't interested in stripping down his team.

"I'm not actively shopping anyone," said Melvin. "I'm always available to talk. I've made some phone calls.

"If I think we have matches with other clubs, I'll talk to them. If something came along that made us better for now and in the future, you've got to look at it. If a trade makes you better, you do it. You don't trade just to trade."

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Interesting the Brewers like Moore. I know nothing about him, but he is in high A ball and seems to walk a lot hitters. He probably wouldn't help the major league club for 2 years.

From brewernation on twitter. Rays and Crew are talking on a Hart Deal. brewers trade hart for Matt sweeney and Matt Moore or Wade Davis. Brewers prefer Moore over davis as well

I hope to god that this is a wishful thinking proposal cooked up by a Rays fan. If Melvin makes this trade, fire him immediately. You have a 22 year old who has already missed a year due to injury and has been playing in A ball this year and hit at a .189 clip in AA. You also have an A ball pitcher. Not to mention that Sweeney is a 3rd baseman. I guess that 3-4 of them isn't enough for the Brewers. Never mind, Melvin will probably throw Gamel in as well.

Archived