Brewer Fanatic

Milwaukee Bucks 2010/2011

bullox
I didn't say that. It is a two way street, but I just don't think LeBron begged to have this. For all we know, ESPN came to LeBron and asked him to do it this way. I've mentioned he should not have done it. So I'm not saying he should have done it this way, but at the same time ESPN was probably thrilled to do it/that he accepted it.
This is beginning to get way off topic so feel free to start a new thread mods. Perhaps 'Where has integrity gone?'

Of course they were thrilled, their business is advertising and their responsibility is to their shareholders to maximize wealth. James business is putting a ball through a hoop and shuffling his feet on defense and his responsibility is to his family, fans and himself. He says yes or no - not ESPN or any other media outlet. He could have quietly done this with integrity like Durant did. He chose to make a circus of this - no one else. No one put a gun to his head.

For the record I don't think ESPN (or the advertisers for that matter) is/are blameless either. I think they are perpetuating this type of behavior for the future, but ultimately the responsibility lies with the individual.

Just my opinion.

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suspect that the Heat will be just fine without a true point guard, they can just go with a cheap, undersized SG who can concentrate on getting open for 3 pointers, and not have to worry about defending taller players. Wouldn't surprise me if they bring back Damon Jones to be their Derek Fisher.

It's just the other 8 roster spots that I'd be worried about. Seems that they'll have to fill the rest of it with their Bird rights guys (if they haven't already renounced them for cap space), or whoever is willing to take a minimum salary. Don't know how Mike Miller would fit.

My

favorite part of that letter was all the random quotation marks. Some

of them made sense in a way, but some of them were completely pointless

and made no sense whatsoever. I totally think Dan Gilbert comes out of

this looking like a complete tool.

Using these "lasers", we will then penetrate this so-called "King's" knee, causing a massive ACL tear...unless...he comes to play for us?

Of course they were thrilled, their business is advertising and their responsibility is to their shareholders to maximize wealth. James business is putting a ball through a hoop and shuffling his feet on defense and his responsibility is to his family, fans and himself. He says yes or no - not ESPN or any other media outlet. He could have quietly done this with integrity like Durant did. He chose to make a circus of this - no one else. No one put a gun to his head.

For the record I don't think ESPN (or the advertisers for that matter) is/are blameless either. I think they are perpetuating this type of behavior for the future, but ultimately the responsibility lies with the individual.

I agree. My only point was the blame goes both ways.

And I also think it is a bit odd to think his only business is putting a ball through a hoop. Clearly that isn't the case in regard to ads and endorsements. LeBron appears to be trying to establish his brand and I think he may have taken it a bit too far. Everyone wants to have an empire like Jordan.

Back to more Bucks stuff...James signing in Miami could have somewhat of an impact on who the Bucks get a PG. I hope we got and contact a guy like Dooling before Miami does.

Back to more Bucks stuff...James signing in Miami could have somewhat of an impact on who the Bucks get a PG. I hope we got and contact a guy like Dooling before Miami does.
Take it for what it's worth, but I heard from a very good source that two guys they are looking at for the backup PG job are Luther Head and Travis Diener. TD was already mentioned by the local media, but I hadn't heard Head's name before.

Take it for what it's worth, but I heard from a very good source that two guys they are looking at for the backup PG job are Luther Head and Travis Diener. TD was already mentioned by the local media, but I hadn't heard Head's name before.

I hope if TD is brought in it is not to be the backup...3rd PG or whatever is fine.

What's the deal with Luther Head? His stats look pretty good for a backup, but was he hurt over the course of his career? How is his defense?

I'm sure the Bucks are pretty happy about that, too, since they can get the insurance money if he's not on the active bench. not like he was ever going to play, anyway.

doesn't Diener shoot 3s? don't we still need a guy who can shoot 3s? (I ask out of ignorance)

it's pretty neat how it seems like Hammonds was about the only GM around building his team as soon as FA started and not just sitting on his hands like everyone else for one of the big-name FAs to make their announcement. glad we're not scrambling for scraps like Cleveland is going to be doing now.

Diener does have some 3 point range.

Having a back-up point that can hold the fort here and there (IMO) is critical for 2010-11. Jennings plays as such an intense level, that you could see him miss some time/games.

If a deal could be made, I'd consider moving Ersan (and I really like him) or a future pick for "that guy." I wonder if DJ Augustin could fit that?

If a deal could be made, I'd consider moving Ersan (and I really like him) or a future pick for "that guy." I wonder if DJ Augustin could fit that?
NOOOOO!! Squad 7 would be devastated! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Diener actually did a good job with Indiana and Orlando as a backup when healthy. He can shoot, doesn't turn the ball over, and can run the offense. Defense would be a question, but he couldn't be any worse than Ridnour. In fact, his game reminds me a lot of Luke's, but a few million dollars cheaper.

Head has been a better 3 point shooter over his career compared to TD while also having more than double the 3 point attempts. I know TD went to Marquette and is from Wisconsin, but I don't know how much interest we should have in him as a backup PG. TD was waived by the Pacers. If we really have bigger expectations next year, I don't know if we can go with TD as a backup PG. I know we can go with 'anyone' to backup Jennings, but reality is he likely isn't going to be able to play every single game. I'd much rather have a better PG when he likely will have a few spot starts.

A lot of people here mentioned Ridnour possibly going to the Knicks, but New York came to terms with Ray Felton today. Don't know if they'd still bring in Ridnour or not, but Felton is a nice upgrade over Chris Duhon for them.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

[quote author=RU Rah Rah wrote:

[/b]I'm not an NBA GM, but don't you need a decent PG to be able to compete?

No. The Lakers have won 2 titles in a row with trash at the point. Chalmers is already better than what they had, plus Wade and LeBron are both among the best passers in the league.

Their bigger problem will be a guy who can legitimately play center. I think they're good on the perimeter, especially if Mike Miller joins the team. No team has any combination of perimeter players anywhere close to LeBron, Wade, Miller and Chalmers. Even if they add the worst guard in the NBA (Jennaro Pargo? Royal Ivey?) to fill out the rotation they are still way ahead on any other team. If they get a competent player like Jason Williams or Carlos Arroyo instead, that would be excellent.

As for big men, Joel Anthony is horrible and useless and I hope he leaves. That would leave the Heat with just Bosh and their 2 2nd round bigs, Dexter Pittman and Jarvis Varnado. I'm actually pretty high on both of those guys but it's a tall order to expect a 2nd round big man to be able to contribute much in his rookie year. Ben Wallace would probably be the ideal pickup but I don't know if he would be interested in Miami or in taking the minimum. If not him, Kurt Thomas or perhaps even Kwame Brown would a nice pickup. Udonis Haslem is undersized and would likely eat up the Heat's 2011 MLE but he wouldn't be necessarily be a horrible option either.

Really, if the Heat come out of this somehow with Miller, Arroyo, Williams, Wallace, Haslem, and Thomas to go with the big 3 and Chalmers, they won't lose 5 games. Miller is rumored to be happening. Wallace and Haslem probably aren't too likely but the other guys could happen (they've all played for the Heat before and are likely looking at near minimum deals wherever they sign).

I agree with you Joe that the only main concern for the Heat is finding some reasonably capable bigs to fill out the roster. All the need from a PG is the ability to help handle the ball a bit and hit open threes, James and Wade will be the creators on offense. If they can add say 2 bigs that can defend and rebound decently, then they'll be ready to roll. That said, i'm not sure i'd make them the favorites yet for this year. After this season though, they'll be able to put better role players around their big three.

dadofandrew]Diener strikes me as more of a #3 PG on a good team, as he likely would struggle defensively versus taller, more athletic points.

I could be wrong here because i'm far from a cap expert, but i believe the Bucks only have a 2 million dollar exception to use on a PG. If that's true, it really limits the pool of players for them to go after.

Yeah, I believe we have only the BAE to use. Which is fine. I hate carrying a 3 pg on the roster. Delfino (or Hobson) could slide there for a game if need be. Then you go get a guy from the D's.

Still, if I had my druthers /Yost, I would go out and get Delonte West. He could be the backup pg, and log some minutes at the 2.

don't we still need a guy who can shoot 3s? (I ask out of ignorance)
Delfino is a very good 3 point shooter, and will probably play a lot of minutes, both at the 3 and the 2.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I didn't want to start a whole new thread just for this, but is there some kind of rule in the NBA where every time you give an interview you are required to use the phrase "at the end of the day" at least two times? Seriously....every single interview by a player and every time an "analyst" talks, that phrase is used. It's getting really annoying. At the end of the day, I think people need to come up with a new catch phrase.

If we don't re-sign Ridnour, I wouldn't even bother with retreads like Diener and Ivey. We already know they're terrible. I'd rather take my chances with a D-League star (and there are some decent PGs out there) who hasn't been given a chance yet in the NBA - even if he sucks, he's probably still no worse than Royal Ivey. And if he's average...awesome!

I'm getting worried about who our backup PG is going to be. I think that is a very important role in the NBA, and right now we have nobody. I also hope that losing K. Thomas, Ridnour and Stackhouse won't come back to bite us, I think their veteran leadership was very important last season.

Archived