Brewer Fanatic

Milwaukee Bucks 2010/2011

bullox
  • Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't lump me in there twirl. I was right there with ya. Ugh. What was Hammond thinking with that contract?

Ersan has been absolutely terrible, and that makes me sad. He's my favorite player.

This team looks polar opposite to the team we saw in March and April last year. I'm willing to give it time, but the early returns are not good.

What I can figure out is why it seemed we were running our offense through Drew Gooden? 13 shots? Bogut barely saw the ball. Salmons looked listless out there. Jennings made way too many poor decisions and when he made a good decision no one could hit an open shot. Horrendous shooting night from 3. I guess things can only get better.

I didn't see the game, so grain of salt...if Bogut is limited offensively by his injury, it probably creates an identity problem for the offense. If that's the case, I would look at a more guard oriented offense. Jennings, Salbass, Maggette, Delfino, CDR going to the rack is probably not a bad option rather than running the offense through the post with an injured Bogut or a terrible Gooden.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
You guys realizing what I said about Gooden? The guy is a horrendous basketball player who is a negative contributor on the court.

It's two games.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Noboby else was doing anything and Boykins wasn't horrible for the first few minutes. After we got within 6 I would've taken him out though. Way too much of a defensive liability with his size to be playing a lot of minutes. At one point last night Jennings was guarding Wesley Johnson who has 6 inches and 35 pounds on him.

its two games....+8 years.

I wanted to type a big long response but was too lazy. My point was that it's two games into the season. He may have played like junk but its way too early to say he's a bust. Delfino was terrible the first half of the year last season until he fell into his role. The same may happen to Gooden.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

No one's talking about a sudden change. It's about settling into a role. If he's asked to do certain things within the framework of the offense and he does them then he'll contribute. If not, he won't. But I won't judge anyone or any team after two games.

Gooden isn't that bad. I'd certainly rather have him then watch Villanueva play no defense AND jack up threes.

Though this may have been discussed elsewhere in this thread, does anyone know why is it that the Bucks never open up at home? I may have missed something, but I can't remember a season opener at home going back to the early 90's at least.

homer wrote:

If he's asked to do certain things within the framework of the offense and he does them then he'll contribute. If not, he won't. But I won't judge anyone or any team after two games.

But that's my point. He has never fit into the framework of any offense and he kills the defense. He thinks he's much better on offense than he really is. A career .519 TS% is not someone who should be taking as many shots as he does. That's worse than Charlie Villanueva's career TS% and no one would mistake him as a good offensive player. He's also horrendous on defense, slow on everything. Can't play out on the perimeter because he's too slow and too slow to react on the weakside. Also commits dumb fouls. Skiles is going to hate the way he plays when he sees him more and I think it's pretty clear he's already starting to hate the way he plays based on his minutes. This is going to be an albatross contract that we're going to be looking to shed and soon.

RockCoCougars wrote:

Though this may have been discussed elsewhere in this thread, does anyone know why is it that the Bucks never open up at home? I may have missed something, but I can't remember a season opener at home going back to the early 90's at least.

Kohl wants the home opener on a weekend and the season never opens on a weekend so we always start on the road.

RockCoCougars wrote:

Kohl wants the home opener on a weekend and the season never opens on a weekend so we always start on the road.

That's what I figured. Thanks.

3 games in... my thoughts:

Delfino looks like he's taking another huge step forward so far.

Magette is what he is. And has looked good doing it.

Gooden isn't comfortable playing next to Bogut yet. They played all of 5 minutes (or so) together in the pre-season. That's understandable. I don't understand why they insist on throwing him the ball in the post so much, though. He might lose his starting spot in a hurry if he continues to be a black hole when he gets the ball.

Jennings has seemed lost defensively so far. I'm saddened by it, as he was SO good at the end of last year.

Dooling has no business being on the floor. Ever. I'd rather Delfino or Salmons try to run the point.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

homer wrote:

If he's asked to do certain things within the framework of the offense and he does them then he'll contribute. If not, he won't. But I won't judge anyone or any team after two games.

But that's my point. He has never fit into the framework of any offense and he kills the defense. He thinks he's much better on offense than he really is. A career .519 TS% is not someone who should be taking as many shots as he does. That's worse than Charlie Villanueva's career TS% and no one would mistake him as a good offensive player. He's also horrendous on defense, slow on everything. Can't play out on the perimeter because he's too slow and too slow to react on the weakside. Also commits dumb fouls. Skiles is going to hate the way he plays when he sees him more and I think it's pretty clear he's already starting to hate the way he plays based on his minutes. This is going to be an albatross contract that we're going to be looking to shed and soon.
I guess what I'm saying is that I'm hopeful Skiles is able to corral him a bit and put him in situations where he will be successful. I'm not disagreeing that he plays below average D on the perimeter or that he shoots too much. I"m just hoping that, like Delfino, he ultimately learns his limitations and contributes. Yes, I know that hasn't happened in his career and maybe I'm a glass is half full kind of guy but I never want to judge someone on a new team until he proves that he can't fit in (I made an exception with Carlos Gomez http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif.

And even if he doesn't pan out I still think they can trade him. The guy has been traded like 7 times in his career I'm sure his salary isn't so awful that another team wouldn't take him on and trade him away again.

Archived