Brewer Fanatic

Braun, Hart, Gallardo make All-Star Team; Hart in Home Run Derby [Latest: Hart now starting]

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For Braun it depends what teh All Star games means. If its for the proven best players in the game, Braun deserves to go. If its for teh players who ahd a good 3 montsh to begin the year, then he really doesn't.

And in either case that doesn't include Ryan Howard....

Well, I personally have never understood why the last three months of the previous season never factor into people's thinking. It's like half a guy's season gets completely disregarded. I think it's about having the best overall players play, not just the guys who were hot for April-June of a given season.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

For Braun it depends what teh All Star games means. If its for the proven best players in the game, Braun deserves to go. If its for teh players who ahd a good 3 montsh to begin the year, then he really doesn't.

And in either case that doesn't include Ryan Howard....

Or Heyward. Braun has better overall numbers than Heyward. I just do not see who was the glaring omission with Braun being on the team. Werth, Soriano, Willingham, Rasmus, Gomes and Torres have higher OPS' but many have done it in much fewer at-bats. No doubt Braun's numbers would be higher if he had a day off here and there. Werth is the only glaring omission. When the ESPN writers voted on all-stars Braun was 4th. They thought he deserved to be there. Those other guys who did not get on have the one player per team rule to blame b/c guys like Bourn, and Young have no right being there.

Verified Member

Byrd made it on the player vote, so he wasn't a "pity" pick. Instead of Bourn and Meek, I would have gone McCutcheon and Oswalt- that would be less of a reach both ways. Wigginton, Chris Young, Fausto Carmona, Joakim Soria, and Matt Thornton were the other "pity" picks- Soria deserves it anyhow, but I think Konerko or Rios would have been better picks for the W-Sox.

Looks like Prado starts for Utley, and Phillips was named as a reserve. One of them would have to drop out for Weeks to make it.

I agree Votto is the biggest exclusion so far. There are so many good NL 1b- Dunn also deserved consideration before Howard and Fielder.

I have no problem with the comments, (Hart) was mistreated and rather disrespected by the team. Why shouldn't he be proud he was able to battle through it, come back, and prove people wrong.

Whether or not he was mistreated/disrespected by the team is subject to debate. But there's no debate about the fact that he battled a tough situation and came back to prove people wrong (at least so far).

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Omar Infante over Rickie Weeks?

Rickie got robbed, big time.

Infante made the team specifically as a utility player, so he didn't really make it "over" Weeks. I know many on here would like to try Rickie at CF, RF and 3b from various posts over the years so maybe someday he'll be eligible for the role.

Also with Hart in the derby many will blame his participation for a lack of 2nd half HRs should that come to pass. Of his current 20 HRs, 15 came in 119 AB during a five week stretch from 0515 to 0619. He hit 3 before the stretch and 2 since for a total of 5 in 172 AB. Stretch: 7.9AB/HR Rest of year: 34.4AB/HR So because Hart was only hitting HRs for a five week stretch in May/June the derby ruined his swing?

Hart has been promoted to start in the all star game to replace Jason Heward.

Good - I'll be on the East Coast so I won't have to stay up late to see Hart. I can turn it off halfway through when both are subbed out.

Archived