Brewer Fanatic

Brewers "listening" on Villanueva, Coffey Offers

From Fanhouse's Ed Price:

#Brewers not yet decided on overall buying or selling but already listening on relievers Carlos Villanueva & Todd Coffey.

Link via Twitter.

I was kind of surprised to see this earlier today, but I have to say I'm not completely against the idea. Both have been struggling lately, the Brewers are going to need a couple of spots on the roster for Doug Davis and LaTroy Hawkins soon, and there may be a contender out there willing to give up a live arm for bullpen help. Boston's had big problems, and the Yankees are in the same boat.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Makes me think Melvin is aware that he should be a seller, and soon.

I hate the word "seller". I don't think the Brewers have to be "sellers" at the trade deadline. Even if the Brewers trade away either Hart or Fielder I still won't consider that to be selling depending on the pieces coming back. Perfect example would be trading Fielder and Hart to the Mariners for Lee and a prospect and then flipping Lee and paying his salary to the Rangers for Perez and Reed or something like that.

Even trading Hart for a player that can help this year and beyond wouldn't be "selling" it would be "buying". Though that is just semantics I just hate it when people throw around the terms "buying" and "selling" like that is what the team is doing when it couldn't be further from the truth. I believe the Brewers will be buyers this deadline and it isn't the "buyers" that the media and everyone is thinking about. I believe Melvin is going to get some players that will be helping this year and in the future. It is not like the Brewers opportunity to win is going away and the Brewers won't be competitive again for another 5-years here. The Brewers should be competitive next year and if not next year they will definitely be rather competitive in 2012.

I agree that this isn't about selling, its about managing the roster. The Brewers have an over-abundance of decent relief pitchers, while they trot out a replacement level CF.Teams often over-pay for relief help this time of year, and the Brewers need to take advantage of that.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I agree that we have lots of decent releivers and it would make a lot of sense to trade one or two away to re-stock the minors with some decent prospects be it pitching or position players. It doesn't have to be Villanueva or Coffey. Offer them all around and get someone to overpay for one of them.

I agree that this isn't about selling, its about managing the roster

Me too, but it's just a phrase. A bit of overreaction on semantics, if you ask me. Whether anyone individually likes it or not, it's what's widely accepted & used. Since that's the case, it's completely confusing & really a waste of time to try to re-label the Brewers "buyers". Most fans will see that the team is trading away a supposedly known commodity for these "unknown" prospects, so it's obvious why it gets labeled "selling" imo.

But the larger point you guys make is absolutely true. Hart, Villanueva, Coffey, even Fielder to an extent, are all guys that can be almost immediately replaced from within. Since their values will probably never be higher than they are right now, the team should absolutely be actively shopping them around. I'd hope that, between at least these four guys, the Brewers would be able to bring in some good pitching prospects & help reload the organization on that front.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I would think some teams may be interested in Riske as well. He has looked pretty darn good since coming back from surgery. Has his velocity back around 90 as well. I'm fine with selling off Coffey, Villanueva, Riske, Hart, Fielder, Counsell, Edmonds, etc.

It seems like every time the Brewers look like they might make a run, they lose a game or two and just don't seem to be gaining any ground. Might as well sell and get some of the youngsters up to get ready for 2011.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Archived