Brewer Fanatic

Brewers in Cliff Lee sweepstakes?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a juicy one from Buster Olney, via Twitter:

Heard this, again: The Mariners really like Brett Lawrie, who they might get if they can get a third team to deliver pitching to the Brewers. The Rays have pitching; the Rays like Lee. Purely a speculative question: Could a Wade Davis-Lee-Lawrie framework work, with the Brewers and Mariners getting less valuable pieces to round out the deal? Imagine a postseason rotation of Lee,Price,Niemann.

If the Brewers were going to trade Lawrie, you could certainly do a lot worse. I'd hate losing Lawrie in any deal, but Gallardo-Wade Davis could possibly be one hell of a 1-2 punch for years.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

I am ok with that trade as long as we extend Weeks and get another piece or two that could help. I am not familiar with either of those teams Minor League systems but we should get a lot for a 20 year old former first round pick who is doing well in AA.

why would the Marines make that trade? they'll get much more than that for Lee

The Rays would also be sending prospects to Seattle. Milwaukee would be involved because the Rays don't have a power prospect like Lawrie, and Seattle covets offense.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Hellickson would seem to be untouchable...but TB could promote him and deal whoever he replaces, and/or who Lee would replace. That could open the door to Shields/Garza being dealt.

The best player we could get aside from Hellickson given trajectory and contract status is Wade Davis. I would imagine Shields and Garza will be getting paid soon or already are.

I heard a rumor about Davis and got extremely excited. Shields are Garza are great pitchers but I would much prefer Wade Davis.

I consider Davis untouchable. Shields and Garza might make too much for TB, who draws little and gets very low TV ratings due to a lack of tradition. Garza and Shields are both solid SP's, and yes, they'll get paid.

Garza has 3 years of team control arby years left, and Shields will only make $7M over the next 2 years, with options after that.

Every single player gets rumored about ending up in New York at some point in time. I'm sure there are rumors in some part of the New York press about Fielder and Hart ending up there despite having no place to really play.

Ugh, if the Yankees get Lee, I'm going to be rather sick.

I would actually be rather happy, as I think it could help create a market for guys like Wolf or Davis. If Lee goes to the Yankees, obviously Tep Lilly moves to the top of the available pitchers list, and once he is gone, desperation could set in for a number of teams. Do I expect either Wolf or Davis to be moved for anything of value? No, but Lee to the Yankees certainly should help more than it hurts.

Well, the story is up on MLB Trade Rumors now, so it seems to have some legs. Supposedly they could get the deal done as soon as today, with Montero and other prospects going to the Mariners. Ironically, Lee is scheduled to start against the Yankees tonight, but there may be some sort of gentleman's agreement in place where Lee would not start tonight for either team.

Now this says the Twins are considered the favorites to get Lee. Going to be a crazy day on Twitter and such, I think: http://ballhype.com/story/new-leader-for-cliff-lee/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

The Phillies would be absolutely nutz to only get Vazquez in return for Werth. But my bet the yankees would win the world series just got a bit better. Baseball will be my 3rd favorite sport until their is a salary cap....and that's sad since I love the game itself.

I don't even know why the Yankees would trade for Cliff Lee. They're already probably the favorites to win the World Series, so they'd be giving away Jesus Montero (and more) for no real reason at all, other than maybe just keeping him away from Tampa Bay...but if they want to go back to giving up top prospects in unnecessary trades, I say let them.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Why do they care about top prospects? If they for some reason would need a 2B in a year, they'll outbid everyone for Rickie Weeks. More likely, they'll pay Cano whatever it takes to make sure he doesn't leave until they want him gone. If they need a catcher, they'll outbid everyone for the top catcher on the market.

They want Lee because he is one of the best pitchers in MLB and definitely the best pitcher available. It will help them win the World Series this year and the money involved is not an object. As it stated in the linked article, they don't care about a negotiating window, as they'll just outbid everyone else once FA starts. This will simply allow them to negotiate with Lee sooner if they choose to do so.

There is a reason why the Yankees are the most hated team in sports. They have a monstrous unfair advantage over everyone else trying to compete with them. That said, I do agree with the poster above who said that whenever a big name is being traded, the NY media assumes they will be traded to a NY team (see LeBron James).

One positive for the Brewers is the Red Sox and Rays may be more willing to spend big to acquire a big bat (aka Corey Hart or Prince Fielder) in an attempt to remain in the race.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Another deal that's bad for baseball. Let's see they can run out 4 starters who are a combined 40-10. Is there any reason at all to watch postseason baseball?

I agree. Seriously how can anyone compete with that? What a joke. They will probably resign Lee also and if it goes bad, they will trade for another Lee a year or two from now. Now I seriously can't wait for the Packers' two-a-days........

The Yankees are dumb to make this trade. They are the favorite without Lee and could just sign him in the offseason and keep Montero. Their ego is as big as LeBron James's.

Why are they dumb. Being the favorite and actually winning the WS are two different things. This trade greatly increases their margin for error. If they lose a SP to injury, they have it covered come playoff time. There is literally no downside for them. If they end up short on prospects down the road, they can just buy a MLB player.

Archived