Brewer Fanatic

Brewers in Cliff Lee sweepstakes?

Sparky (1250AM-WSSP) is babbling on about some rumor that if the Brewers play well this weekend against St. Louis, and the owner is convinced that things could turn around, the Brewers could get involved in the Cliff Lee talks.

They speculated Gomez/Parra/Gamel for Lee.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sparky is an idiot. The Brewers just lost 2 of 3 to Houston...at home. If they win 3 of 4 in St Louis all of a sudden they are a contender? The Brewers biggest problem is that they don't face facts. This team is not a playoff team. Prince Fielder is not going to re-sign. They have an opportunity to get some good young pitchers in trades if they only make an attempt. If they trade Hart, Fielder, and maybe some relievers like Coffey and/or Hoffman, they can probably get at least 4 mid to high ceiling pitching prospects.

Though I highly doubt its validity, I'll pass on that one- even if the Brewers manage to pull within 3-4 games by the deadline. No way am I giving them two upside guys off the major league roster and another that should be on the major league roster for what would be a two month rental.

It almost sounds like they're misinterpreting or building off of the old rumor that the Brewers would get involved in a three-way trade for Lee. Obviously, they wouldn't be the ones getting him in that scenario. If they did get involved, it'd be because they have the bats Jack Z wants in return that no one seems willing or able to give up. Even then, the bats would be required would make me want Michael Pineda and I doubt Jack would trade Lee and Pineda away in the same deal.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

What about trading Fielder and Hart for Lee and Pineda along with

trading Lee to the Rangers for Perez/Font and Evan Reed. That would

give the Brewers three starting pitchers in the minors who all have good

to great stuff. That maybe a low return for Fielder and Hart but

really the Brewers are getting an ace pitcher in Perez a possible ace or

#1 in Pineda and a #3 or #4 type pitcher in Reed. There maybe one or

two more players in the deal but those players are going to be guys with

big question marks. This would definitely help out the Mariners in the

long run since they will be receiving one premium bat in Fielder and an

average bat in Hart for Lee and Pineda along with any prospects the

Brewers could pick up for Lee.

I posted that in another thread before but that is what I would like to see happen. If the Rangers were not able to add on salary then I would just pay all of Lee's salary for this year just to get Perez and Reed. I believe that would be a rather fair trade for all teams involved.

Doesn't the fact that this supposedly grown man chooses to go by "Sparky" basically invalidate any kind of rumor he might throw out there? Aside from my distaste for the nickname, I don't think one credible thing has come from this radio show. His job is to draw attention to the show, so he does with this ridiculous nonsense.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Buster Olney raised the possibility of a three team deal involving Lee and the Brewers again, but this time suggests they part with Brett Lawrie. It's just an idea on his part; but I wouldn't like it unless we get a really good couple arms in return.
I saw that also. That would be a horrible deal by the Brewers if they did that. Unless the Brewers somehow can get Lee + a lesser prospect from the Mariners plus what the Brewers could get for Lee from someone.

Buster Olney raised the possibility of a three team deal involving Lee and the Brewers again, but this time suggests they part with Brett Lawrie. It's just an idea on his part; but I wouldn't like it unless we get a really good couple arms in return.
I was just going to mention this.

If this team traded Lawrie for pitching, I would be irate. I understand this team needs pitching, but Lawrie is the guy the Brewers should use to make up for Fielder's/Hart's departure. This team needs that new wave of hitting prospects to replace those guys not trade them away.

With that being said, I have very little confidence in Melvin.

If this team traded Lawrie for pitching, I would be irate. I understand this team needs pitching, but Lawrie is the guy the Brewers should use to make up for Fielder's/Hart's departure. This team needs that new wave of hitting prospects to replace those guys not trade them away.

With that being said, I have very little confidence in Melvin.

What prospect has Melvin traded that we really regret?

The CC trade

- LaPorta- has looked over-matched in the majors. He could get a lot better but he has not shown much

- Brantley- still cannot hit for power. Cain has surpassed him as a prospect

- Bryson - Has a plus arm but cannot stay healthy. He could be a nice bullpen guy

The Linebrink trade

- Inman - has struggled since the trade. Cannot go deep into games and struggles with control. Looks like a back-end of the rotation guy or long-relief

- Garrison - Has been hurt a lot, but has potential

Durham

- Ford and Hammond (?) - neither has amounted to anything

Lopez

- Gillespie - probably the guy who has looked the best

I guess I just do not see why people act like Melvin has made terrible trades. I think people tend to over value our prospects a lot.

I guess I just do not see why people act like Melvin has made terrible trades. I think people tend to over value our prospects a lot.
You did a nice job analyzing the recent trades by Melvin, however, where are the pitchers? what did Linebrink do for us? Nothing. CC got us to the playoffs, but he was gone quickly afterwards. I think a lot of the skeptisism by Brewers fans come from Melvin's lack of success with obtaining good pitching when he makes trades. Chirs Capuano is the only one I can think of as I do not count the CC rental.

Melvin has shown with the Rangers and the Brewers that he and his minions can build a heckovan offense, but has no ability whatsoever in building a competitive pitching rotation.

What prospect has Melvin traded that we really regret?

Melvin is way too far into his tenure to be graded on his personel moves. He has been here long enough that he can now be graded on his teams record, which is terrible, which means he's done a terrible job.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

You did a nice job analyzing the recent trades by Melvin, however, where are the pitchers? what did Linebrink do for us? Nothing. CC got us to the playoffs, but he was gone quickly afterwards. I think a lot of the skeptisism by Brewers fans come from Melvin's lack of success with obtaining good pitching when he makes trades. Chirs Capuano is the only one I can think of as I do not count the CC rental.

Melvin has shown with the Rangers and the Brewers that he and his minions can build a heckovan offense, but has no ability whatsoever in building a competitive pitching rotation.

Good point. It is obvious Melvin has struggled to obtain pitching (you cannot fail to count CC though because that run was huge for the Brewers and their fan base). However, the "wonder boy" Jack Z did a terrible job giving Melvin pitching in the minors. Melvin did a terrible job signing good pitchers and Jack Z did a terrible job drafting pitching. Right now this rotation is comprised of two FA signings - Wolf and Narverson (or Davis), 2 draft picks - Gallardo and Parra, one trade - Bush.

As for trading for pitchers Bush and Cappy were decent trades. But he needs to net good pitching for Hart and Prince.

Yep, Gomez has negative vale for the Mariners. I could see the Brewers make a run at Lee in the offseason since they have so much money coming off and Attanasio was talking about having a similar payroll level next year but again that's the offseason.

Archived