Brewer Fanatic

Hart to Braves?

the braves are looking for a right handed bat, and mlbtraderumors.com mentions hart being on the list of who they are looking at. they have some good young pitching such as mike minor, julio teheren, and brett devall. would hart net one of them and maybe cody johnson(outfielder who has been in the system for a few years who doesnt really seem to be in their plans for the future). how does the crew match up with the braves?

Braves have lots of pitching especially at the High-A level & below....but they have virtually nothing for major league ready hitting prospects

I doubt the Braves would trade Kris Medlen, Jonny Venters, Craig Kimbrel, Julio Teheran, Arodys Vizcaino or Randall Delgado....but there's still plenty of power-arms including 2009 1st round pick southpaw Mike Minor & Robinson Lopez, a 19 year from the Dominican .... and you can include the above mentioned DeVall too

If we could get one or two really good good pitching prospects for Hart at this point, even if they are only in High-A at this point; I think you have to do it. If Prince is dealt we can hopefully get guys who are much closer to MLB.

Aren't you guys listening to Attanasio? Hart's not going anywhere. Attanasio believes that even if they can't quite get there this year, that they have a team that will contend in 2011. That's not all that far fetched. Dumping Hart for two pitchers in A ball? Won't happen. Hart is starting to put up stats that could make him a type A, and if he does, then he'd bring 2 high picks after 2011 anyway.

Yeah, and what if he has a season like he did in 2009 next year? I just don't trust Hart to keep up this level of production indefinitely. Plus trading him now would clear a big chunk of payroll for next season, in addition to all the money they already have coming off the books.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Yeah, and what if he has a season like he did in 2009 next year? I just don't trust Hart to keep up this level of production indefinitely. Plus trading him now would clear a big chunk of payroll for next season, in addition to all the money they already have coming off the books.

It's not what you or I think Invader3K. It's what Attanasio and Melvin are thinking, and when you hear as I did last night listening to the Astro telecast that: "the Brewers see Hart as comparable to Jayson Werth as a guy who took a while to really blossom as a player", that stuff doesn't come out of thin air. It starts at the top.

Frankly I don't see Hart repeating 2009 in 2011 which is his big contract year.

If Atlanta (or someone else) were willing to give up some high-upside young arms for Hart, I'd definitely do it, but I think JohnBriggs is right. Mark A & Melvin are swinging over to the buyer category. In a perfect situation, Hart would remain a Brewer, help us to the playoffs next year, and leave as a Type A free agent. Personally, I share Invader's concerns over Hart. A few months ago, I thought we'd be giving him up for nothing at the end of this year, and many wanted to DFA him after he won his arby case. If an uber-hot streak (which he's been prone to in his career) can lead to a couple of high-upside pitching prospects, do the deal.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

It's not what you or I think Invader3K. It's what Attanasio and Melvin are thinking, and when you hear as I did last night listening to the Astro telecast that: "the Brewers see Hart as comparable to Jayson Werth as a guy who took a while to really blossom as a player", that stuff doesn't come out of thin air. It starts at the top.

Comparing Hart to a guy like Werth is perfect because it could lead to someone overpaying for his services. I get what you are saying, but we have to remember what the owner and GM say publicly and what they're really planning can often be two different things.

Anyway, it's probably too early to discuss at this point. The team won't make any significant moves until after the All-Star break, either way.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Comparing Hart to a guy like Werth is perfect because it could lead to someone overpaying for his services. I get what you are saying, but we have to remember what the owner and GM say publicly and what they're really planning can often be two different things.

Anyway, it's probably too early to discuss at this point. The team won't make any significant moves until after the All-Star break, either way.

The way Hart is hitting this year, the only way I would even consider trading him is if a team let the Brewers choose any two pitching prospects from their system. Outside of that, the only way that I think about moving Hart is if Wolf goes with as well. Hart is absolutely raking, leading the league in HR, close in RBI, and most importantly laying off the outside slider in the dirt. I'm not giving him away to 'sell high'. I'm not sure building for 2013-2014 is something that I want to endure.

Corey Hart 2008

Pre All-Star .831 OPS

Post All-Star .659 OPS

2007 good all around year boosted significantly by 1.039 OPS in June and 1.022 OPS in September (.762, .798, .768, .879 in other months)

2009 pretty bad all around

He's always been streaky, and I still think there's a good chance he'll be below average (sub-.800 OPS) in the second half of the year. Of course, there's also a chance he'll remain above average. The belief that a good half season brings his trade value to the level of "...a team lets the Brewers choose any two pitching prospects from their system..." is probably overstating his value by a significant amount. There are very few players in the league who would command that in trade, and Hart's value isn't up there with the Ryan Braun's of the world.

I doubt he (or anyone else on the MLB roster) will get traded this season, as we're probably going to be buyers. I'd guess he'll be shopped in the offseason. Regardless of what he does in the second half of this season, he will get around $7-8MM next year in arby. His history would seem to show that for your $8MM, you will either be way over paying for a .750 OPS player or underpaying for a high-.800 OPS player. There doesn't seem to be an in-between for him, he's all or nothing.

Again, if we could get a couple of high upside young arms for him, I'd take it. Of course, I think we're hoping for a miracle if we're shooting for the playoffs this year, so while I'm not into trashing the team to build for 2013-2014, I'm not into giving up the future for extra wins this year. With a few correct moves, we should be competitive next year with or without Hart. We could miss out on a really good year, or we could benefit by not having a bad fielding .750 OPS RF.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

i just think that its such a long shot for the crew to be considered a playoff team this season(unless they can do a full on rockies style turn around) that they should be looking for next year. most of the braves pitching prospects (minor especially, i'd really like to get him) could be ready for the majors next year. gallardo/wolf/minor/ and two of parra/bush/narveson could be a really solid rotation next year plus all the money coming off the books after this season that could net a really good free agent outfielder. i dont think tradeing hart is dismantling the team at all.

David O'Brien is the Braves beat-writer for the Atlanta Journal-Constitution

David O'Brien

July 1st, 2010

12:39 am

Not sure where the

Corey Hart rumor started, but I’m told by someone close to situation in

Milwaukee that Brewers aren’t inclined to trade him as well as he’s

playing right now, even though he’ll be eligible for free agency after

next season. They can wait and move him in offseason if they want to.

If

they did trade him right now, they surely would ask for one of the

Braves’ top young pitchers or pitching prospects in return, and I really

doubt the Braves would do that to get another outfielder who’s having a

great year but hasn’t been all that the past couple of seasons (OPS

under .760 in 2008 and 2009). Besides, the Braves stilstill have McLouth

under contract for another season, and Melky’s still an arbitration guy

who’ll be affordable next season, and right field is obviously set for

years to come … If they’re going to trade away good young talent to get

an outfielder, I’d think it’d have to be someone of the caliber of a

Matt Kemp, and that it’d more likely be an offseason move unless they

also had another trade lined up to move one of what would be a surplus

of outfielders on hand this season once McLouth is healthy.

LinkReport

this comment

If they’re going to trade away good young talent to get an outfielder, I’d think it’d have to be someone of the caliber of a Matt Kemp

who the hell keeps convincing people that kemp is good? his defense is extremely poor for a center fielder and is more streaky at the plate than hart.

I'd say get Julio Teheran and Mike Minor for Corey and PTBNL.

As far as winning in 2011, what about the team is going to be so different?

Hopefully some better pitching and perhaps a little bit more consistent offense. The right trades and one or two decent FA acquistions (they'll have money to spend) can put this team right back in the hunt.

And yeah, I'd seriously consider that trade, but doesn't sound like the Braves are willing to give up that much.

I’m told by someone close to situation in Milwaukee that Brewers aren’t inclined to trade him as well as he’s playing right now, even though he’ll be eligible for free agency after next season.

http://hollywoodhatesme.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/exploding_head.jpg

Yeah, you know, why would you sell high on a player you can probably replace through your farm system?

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived