Brewer Fanatic

applying for work out-of-state. how?

GAME05

just finished grad school and a little vacation, and i'm broke as a joke. i'm back in WI looking for part-time work to save up enough money to eventually move out of state to look for work. in the meantime, i'm applying for jobs in Austin and Asheville and a few other cities that I like. question is, what is the best way to go about applying for a job that is a long ways away? do you put on your cover letter that you'd hope for a phone interview first and then you could come down there? or do i use a local address on my resume and pay to drive down there every time i land an interview? i've also considered using a local address, and if they call for an interview, telling them that i'm in WI visiting family and would prefer a phone interview before i head back for a face-to-face interview.

just not sure how to go about this all. it's tough knowing that i'm probably going to get ignored for some interviews because the employer doesn't want to deal with someone who lives 1,000 miles away. i figure on moving to Austin once i save up about $1,500, but i'm just not there yet.

I'm in the exact same situation, Game05. I'm applying for jobs using an Alaska address so hopefully potential employers realize that I will not be able to make trips to the lower 48 for interviews. Hopefully it doesn't hurt my chances too much.

Re cover letter: I would not mention a phone interview in the cover letter. I would wait until the employer contacts you, and then discuss your situation.

Re address: I think honesty is the best policy.

I'm curious to hear the rest of BF nation's advice.

"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

It would be ridiculous for a company to expect you to come down there without even giving you a phone interview at first. Use your WI address. If/when they contact you express your interest in the company, tell them you'd welcome to a face to face interview after a phone interview, to be sure the company is the right fit for you, and you're the right fit for them.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I just recently graduated from college and completed my first real job search. Every company that I interviewed for requested a phone interview first. I'm not an HR guy, but I think that's the way that most employers operate these days. I'd stick with the truth and handle each situation as it arises.

I've moved across the country for my last two jobs, and always put my current address on my vita. They both did phone interviews before flying me in for a face-to-face. My being out of state was not an issue at all.

If you're looking at professional jobs, you should have no problem. Now, if you're looking for an unskilled part-time, hold-you-over-for-now job, being far away may hurt you because there will be a bunch of locals that are probably qualified.

an additional question, then: If I kept my WI address, should there be some sort of mention of it in the concluding paragraph of the cover letter? Right now I'm adding '...i'm a distance from Austin, but i hope something can be worked out.' and i'm also using that space to say that i'm planning on relocating to Austin soon, and that if hired, i can move down there on short notice. or maybe i should just not mention anything like that at all? i have the feeling that maybe if my resume is good enough, they'll end up calling to see what's up regardless.

phone interviews must be a new trend. which stinks, because i developed a very slight stutter maybe five years ago and it tends to show up over the phone.

phone interviews must be a new trend. which stinks, because i developed a very slight stutter maybe five years ago and it tends to show up over the phone.
Well, for better or worse, phone interviews as a first step are a pretty easy way to cut recruitment/hiring costs.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Game05, I would not include the statement about your willingness to relocate. Simply applying for the position shows your willingness to do so.
"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

I've got family in Georgia, and my in-laws have told me that employers down south absolutely love hiring people from the Midwest due to our work ethic. If you have spent some time down south, you know how bad customer service can be.

thanks for the advice. i'll start turning in my long-distance applications just as i would local ones.

in the end, this is going to be rough going. i'm already over-educated/under-experienced. plus i'm going for Parks jobs, and most all government agencies are cutting budgets.

I'll add a couple of thoughts. For that type of job you may want to make it clear that you plan to move down there immediately at your own expense. I know when I get resumes from out of state, I'm wondering if the applicant is expecting us to pay relocation expenses. Wouldn't hurt to mention how much you love the area, want to call it home, etc. By all means, show that you know something about their parks.

Finally, if you do get nervous or start to stuuter, use it to your advantage. "I'm sorry if I sound nervous, but I'm just so excited to be talking about my dream job in my dream community." (You can do better than that, but you get the idea.)

• 4 weeks later...
well, so far i'm 0-25 on even getting an interview out of state. it seems that's a large enough sample to say that there's some sort of problem, and the best answer might really be my distance from the job. i don't do it for every job, but select ones i've started listing an Austin address. i figure maybe if i land an interview, maybe i stay in Austin a week to look for some get-me-by jobs. it's a decent risk to spend the money to get down there and interview against 15 or so other people, but something has to change.

I'm about 10 for 500 on even getting phone interviews in the last year... and that's in state.

The market is just horrible. I'd look at temp agencies, as they are a good way to maybe, get your foot in the door with certain companies. Contract-to-hire is a nice thing.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Game05--I work in HR and scan through about 50-100 online applications and resumes a week, it's in a totally different environment than you are looking into but if you want to send me your resume I can give you a simple critique if you would like.

As far as what to include in a cover letter. I would recommend expressing your desire to relocate at your own expense as FVBrewerFan stated earlier. I would include an explanation of your situation, currently residing in Wisconsin temporarily and hoping to find a dream career in whichever area you are applying. If you do get the chance for a phone interview, set yourself up in a quiet area without distractions and have some questions prepared to ask ahead of time. I would suggest actually dressing up for even a phone interview as it sets you up mentally to be professional. The more preparation that you do before hand, the easier you may find it to not stutter and to get your passion across.

Everything I've ever known, I've learned from Brewerfan.net....Seriously though

well, so far i'm 0-25 on even getting an interview out of state. it seems that's a large enough sample to say that there's some sort of problem, and the best answer might really be my distance from the job. i don't do it for every job, but select ones i've started listing an Austin address. i figure maybe if i land an interview, maybe i stay in Austin a week to look for some get-me-by jobs. it's a decent risk to spend the money to get down there and interview against 15 or so other people, but something has to change.
I'm 0-I have no idea in getting interviews in my field and 2-even more than that in getting interviews at all. It's probably not you.

thanks, Blancofan. i'll take you up on that. i'll add the explanation to my cover letter, too, add that i have a place to live already and whatnot.

been debating with the father. he thinks i should apply for decent jobs in the middle of nowhere. i get a year or so of relevant experience but accept that i'll dislike living there and move yet again. i'm a little more inclined to move to the place i'd like to stay at, take a poor job and wait out a better one to eventually open up. if i were 23 i think he'd be right, but at 33 i dread moving to a place i'd dislike and accepting that i'd have to move yet again in a few years.

• 2 weeks later...

I really don't think your location is factoring into getting an interview - it's just a tough market. My first job after college was all the way across the country. They phone interviewed me, offered me the job (without an in-person), and when I asked if they pay relocation they said no. So I paid for it myself. Then my next job was back in Wisconsin. I got a phone interview, they paid to fly me out, and they paid relocation. It all depends on the employer.

But really, they're going to look for the most qualified person, and location is not a qualification. Especially if you're applying for government jobs, we're not allowed to consider that.

Archived