Brewer Fanatic

Gallardo and his pitches

Has Gallardo been starting to throw more changeups? I haven't been able to watch his last 2-3 starts, but I kept thinking to myself earlier in the year, when he wasn't going deep into games, that if he'd just use his changeup, he'd be able to attack the zone more than nibbling as much as he was, seeing the hitters would have to have another pitch to worry about in the back of their minds. Is there a site that shows the pitches thrown by a pitcher each game, as a % of each pitch compared to the total pitches thrown?

You can use the pitch f/x tool at Brooks Baseball to look at data about any pitcher's appearance on a given date. Just navigate to the day of the game you're interested in, choose the game (Minnesota Twins vs. Milwaukee Brewers, for example), and select the pitcher. It'll give you a ton of information and graphs, but you'd probably be most interested in the tables that break down the pitch types.

Here's the data from Yo's start today. As for your changeup question, it doesn't appear that he's throwing more of them, at least not today -- he only threw 4 according to pitch f/x, but it's important to remember that the pitch type data isn't always accurate (the data comes from GameDay, and sometimes they make some interesting decisions on pitch types).

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

I think its just his Fastball command has improved a lot since his first few shaky starts on the year. If he keeps spotting his fastball and getting ahead of hitters and getting them out, his pitchcount can stay down like today and he can just flat out dominate. Great W today!

Archived