Brewer Fanatic

John Axford's Workload

AJAY
Is anyone else concerned that John Axford is being used a lot lately? I really worry about Ken Macha blowing out his arm. It also seems like Capuano and Hoffman rarely pitch anymore. I can understand going with the hot hand, but overall I just feel a little uneasy about the distribution of workload in our bullpen. I hope this does not hurt over the long haul.

What? You're saying Macha might overwork the hot hand in the bullpen? It's not like he did that with Coffey, Villanueva, Hawkins and Vargas earlier this year.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I'd say he's not "over worked" but that he should get the day off. I'd say because of the two innings the other night that it would be a smart move. Let's hope we are up 5 and we can bring in Hoff or something.

The Great Mustach-eo is amazing!

I agree, he hasn't been over-worked yet. At the same time, last night would have been a perfect time to let Hoffman close the game. You accomplish two things, see if Hoffman can close a game with a 3 run lead, and you save Axford for Thurs if the game is closer.

I admit I was surprised last night to see Axford pitch after throwing two innings the evening before. I guess you have to give Macha credit for sticking with him.

I imagine Hoffman will get a turn today if warranted, as Axford really should rest, though.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I agree, he hasn't been over-worked yet. At the same time, last night would have been a perfect time to let Hoffman close the game. You accomplish two things, see if Hoffman can close a game with a 3 run lead, and you save Axford for Thurs if the game is closer.
I really think you had to go with Ax last night. It's so much better to get the first two games of a series. Now people can be relaxed and come out and go for the sweep. Give Hoff the ball today if needed. Less pressure and not as big of a deal if he blows up.

As long as he doesn't pitch again tonight in the series finale against the Twins I'm totally ok with his work load. Hoffman should be brought in if there is a save situation. He has pitched well over his last outings and I would be confident putting him back in there occasionally. I actually like the idea of being flexible with the closer and having Axford go two innings occasionally when necessary, knowing that we have Hoffman to take pressure off him during subsequent games.

Macha needs wins now, so he has no interest in whether or not his actions lead to injuries in the future. Yo has thrown more pitches than just about any pitcher in baseball, and we have some relievers who are used almost nightly while others never see the field. I'd guess that keeping Capuano on the shelf for two weeks and then probably throwing him out there for multiple innings won't be the best thing on his war-torn arm.

Please note that I'm not insinuating that Macha wants his pitchers injured, just that his job is on the line, so every win this year is very important to him. The potential that Yo could be watching games with Mark Prior in a couple years isn't as much of a worry for him as he probably won't be the team's manager by then.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Ok you guys are probably right, Axe should get the night off. I’m just worried that Hoffman will come in and get one or two saves and all of a sudden he’ll be the permanent closer again even though Axeford is clearly the better pitcher at this point in time. I do like the direction that SenatorShriv is going in: be flexible with the closer. Axe could get the occasional two inning save, and possibly pitch mid relief in crucial situations, possibly giving Hoffman the chance to close some saves here and there. I’ve never been a big fan of the designated closer idea anyway. But I do think Axeford is the better pitcher so he should be the primary guy. As far as Hoffman goes I hope that when/if he gets a chance, he will be on a short leash. If he goes out there in the 9th inning and looks bad, pull him before he has a chance to blow the game, just like Ron Washington did the other day with Felix against the Brewers. I thought that was a brilliant move.

I did not want to see Hoffman in the game last night. I'm glad Macha went for the win and played it like the 7th game of the WS. In any 3 game series there always seems to be that one game that can go either way. That game was last night in this series. Winning those games is the difference between losing 90 games or winning 90 games a year.

Not sure why anyone would be itching to see Trevor Hoffman pitch in a meaningful situation. He is pretty much the reason why the Brewers are 9 games under .500.

However, Axford has to be off limits today. So go with Hoffman if needed and hold your breath.

If Corey Hart had a longer at-bat last night, giving Hoffman time to warm up, I fully believe we would have seen Hoffman instead of Axford last night. To Macha's credit, before it was a 3 run lead, he was going to stick with Axford, but Hoffman was up as soon as it was a 3 run lead. He just didn't have time to warm up.

I was thinking the same thing, and at the same time wondering what Hoffman must be thinking. A two run lead is not safe for him to enter the game, but a three run lead is. Maybe that is how Macha has laid it out to him, but if that was the case he should have been warming up when there was a solid threat of scoring another run.

How can Capuano have not pitched for so long but it seemed like we saw Suppan almost 2-3 times a week?

Suppan was a wiley veteran, due to his high numbers of innings pitched in the past. Because of Cappy's injury, he has yet to achieve the title, so Macha doesn't trust him.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

Archived