Brewer Fanatic

Would the Phillies being a good landing spot for Hart?

Ibanez is hitting poorly and Werth will be a FA after the year. I know they have Dominic Browne in the minors, but he's only in AA at the moment. Hart would provide a lift for them this year and allow them to ease Browne into the lineup next year.

The question is, do the Phillies make a good trade partner? What players would make for a good return?

i would not say no to j.a. happ. he's on the dl right now but i'm sure the phillies wouldnt be ok with that deal. kyle kendrick would be ok too. he's got quite a bit of service time racked up though(2007)
I'm not a real fan of either Kendrick or Happ.

I don't see Happ being any more than a #4/5 type starter and Kendrick is along those same lines. Neither excite me much at all. I'd hope for more upside in a trade for Hart, and would much prefer a guy equal to a Wily Peralta in A ball, or maybe even AA.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I assume Hart would replace Werth in RF. It might be a fit, if the Phillies have guys at or nearly ready to contribute. If healthy, Happ and another near ready guy might be a good match. Of course, if Happ is healthy, the Phillies may not want to deal him for a stopgap.

I think a lot of it depends on how confident the Phillies are in being able to re-sign Werth after this season.
I thought it was essentially a foregone conclusion that Werth was gone next year and would not be re-signed?

With long term deals all over that lineup, Brown ready to come up in the near future, I didn't think they were keen on giving Werth the 12-13 per he'd likely command.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I think a lot of it depends on how confident the Phillies are in being able to re-sign Werth after this season.
I thought it was essentially a foregone conclusion that Werth was gone next year and would not be re-signed?

With long term deals all over that lineup, Brown ready to come up in the near future, I didn't think they were keen on giving Werth the 12-13 per he'd likely command.

I was also under that impression that Werth would not be back. And it's likely he'll be a type A FA. I could see the Phillies acquiring Hart and decreasing (maybe alot) the amount of playing time for Ibanez. Let Werth leave, get the pick(s). The OF in 2011 would then be Ibanez, Victorino, & Hart giving them the luxury of having Brown in AAA for the whole year if they want. After 2011, they could let Hart walk and likely see type A compensation for him as well. I just don't know what the Brewers would receive in return if a deal like that was to go down.

Archived