Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Mon. 6/21 -- The Helena and Maryvale Rookie Squads Debut Nicely

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Monday's Daily Menu:

Times Central; pitchers subject to change --

Nashville: LHP Chuck Lofgren at home vs. Oklahoma City (Rangers), 6:50 PM pre-game; 7:05 gametime

Live Audio Link

Huntsville: Idle

Brevard County: TBD (likely RHP Michael Fiers) at home vs. Clearwater (Phillies), 6:05 PM gametime

Sorry, no audio for this series...

Wisconsin: Idle -- All-Star game coverage on Tuesday

Helena: RHP Tyler Cravy at home vs. Missoula (Diamondbacks), 7:50 PM pre-game; 8:05 gametime

As of this post, there is no Helena-based audio link available via MiLB.com or the radio station website; will attempt to learn more from Media Relations Director and play-by-play man Steve Wendt this afternoon

UPDATE: MiLB.com has now added the Helena audio feed.

Live Audio Link

Arizona Rookie (Maryvale): at the Indians' complex in Goodyear; games begin at 7:00 local time in the desert; never audio for games in this league

DSL Brewers: at the DSL Mariners, 9:30 AM

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Follow Monday's action as it happens:

Here's what you do, right click on each of the links below and choose "Open in New Tab or New Window". Choose "Recap". While you're listening to your minor league game of choice (or watching/listening to the big league Crew when they are playing), simply refresh your game log browsers every so often.

Nashville (Gameday also available)

Brevard County

Helena

Arizona Rookie (Maryvale)

DSL Brewers

Brewer Fanatic Staff

PCL American North
Club W L PCT GB *ELIM # Home Away L 10 Streak
Omaha 37 31 .544 - - 19-19 18-12 7-3 L1
Iowa 38 32 .543 - - 20-17 18-15 7-3 L1
Memphis 37 32 .536 0.5 75 18-13 19-19 4-6 L1
Nashville 37 32 .536 0.5 75 18-15 19-17 4-6 L1

SOU North
* Tennessee 42 27 .609 - - 18-17 24-10 6-4 W1
West Tenn 39 30 .565 3.0 E 16-19 23-11 4-6 L2
Chattanooga 33 36 .478 9.0 E 16-17 17-19 7-3 W2
Huntsville 33 37 .471 9.5 E 15-20 18-17 6-4 W4
Carolina 30 39 .435 12.0 E 16-19 14-20 5-5 L2

FSL North
Dunedin 39 28 .582 - E 16-16 23-12 5-5 L2
Tampa 35 30 .538 3.0 E 18-16 17-14 5-5 L2
Clearwater 35 32 .522 4.0 E 20-15 15-17 5-5 W2
Lakeland 35 32 .522 4.0 E 18-16 17-16 3-7 L2
Daytona 33 34 .493 6.0 E 15-21 18-13 7-3 W2
Brevard County 26 40 .394 12.5 E 14-19 12-21 5-5 W2

MID Western
* Cedar Rapids 43 25 .632 - - 25-8 18-17 6-4 W2
Quad Cities 40 29 .580 3.5 - 23-11 17-18 6-4 L1
Peoria 38 31 .551 5.5 E 23-11 15-20 6-4 W1
Beloit 37 32 .536 6.5 E 19-16 18-16 8-2 W2
Clinton 37 32 .536 6.5 E 21-15 16-17 4-6 L2
Kane County 32 37 .464 11.5 E 18-16 14-21 5-5 L2
Wisconsin 26 42 .382 17.0 E 13-22 13-20 5-5 W2
Burlington 22 47 .319 21.5 E 10-24 12-23 2-8 L2

DSL S.D. North
DSL Cardinals 12 7 .632 - - 9-1 3-6 6-4 L1
DSL Mariners 9 9 .500 2.5 52 6-4 3-5 7-3 W1
DSL Athletics 9 10 .474 3.0 51 5-4 4-6 3-7 L1
DSL Brewers 7 11 .389 4.5 50 5-3 2-8 4-6 W1

WooHoo! Almost back to the full link report, Helena has always been a favorite audio choice of mine.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Link Report Bonus:

This kid just won Pitcher of the Week honors in the Midwest League.

If I'm the Cubs, I'm doing anything I can to acquire him from the Tigers. You'll see why it would make one of the greatest major league batteries in history.

I'd prefer to see Giovany Soto for the Milwaukee Brewers striking out Geovany Soto for the Chicago Cubs!
Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: DSL Mariners 4, DSL Brewers 2, completed early after 5 1/2 innings

DSL Brewers Box Score

There were 11 half-innings played before the rain came, and in six of those frames, a single run was scored, accounting for the final; 18-year-old LH-hitting CF Ruben Sanchez may prove to be a name to remember, he reached all three times up on two singles and a walk, and stole his second base (in five attempts); 3B Allixon Cequea and catcher Carlos Pena had run-scoring doubles; SS Andres Martinez was yanked after striking out to end the Brewer 4th -- you'd have to think that was a disciplinary situation; 18-year-old RHP Jeffrey Saba trying to re-capture his opening start magic -- he's 6'2", 152, wow...

DSL Brewers Game Log

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Manatee Sergio Miranda, playing third base tonight, was pulled after the 3rd inning for no apparent reason. Just something to watch the next day or two...

While waiting for Helena audio, a three-run first inning for the Sounds, up 3-1. Luis Cruz remains clutch, as does Joe Koshansky. Chuck Lofgren survived a shaky 1st himself, which included an injury delay as Lofgren and big Joe each remained in the game after getting tangled in a first base collision.

I'm sure Mass will get his share of the updates, I'll get mine in the late PM early AM hours.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Hmm, Steve is making Tyler Cravy sound like another Amaury Rivas under the radar type pitcher, I was curious about him being the opening day starter, and now I'm up to intrigued on the prospect meter.

The opposing pitcher in the Helena game is Patrick Schuster, anyone who follows the draft will remember him as the FL high school pitcher who through all of the consecutive no hitters prior to the draft last season.

edit. I spelled Tyler's name wrong.

- Plato

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Staff
I'm sure Mass will get his share of the updates, I'll get mine in the late PM early AM hours.

TheCrew07 and I will be in touch with each other daily and will be splitting up the nightly action beforehand, especially now that as many as seven Brewer teams could be in action on any given night. There will be similar splits in responsibilities even when our friend battlekow returns from his well-deserved vacation time -- "bk" should be back at the end of the month, middle of next week. My thanks to TC07, as I've indicated before.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Tyler Cravy toiled in anonymity in Maryvale last season -- so given his 1-2-3 1st inning, seems like a good time to let everyone know about him with this article done after the 2009 draft --

Link while active, text follows:

Brewers ink Cravy

By MARTY JAMES

Executive Sports Editor, Napa Valley Register

Tyler Cravy said it’s always been his dream to get drafted and play professionally.

Cravy can stop dreaming.

The Napa Valley College freshman pitcher was chosen last week by Milwaukee in the 17th round of the 2009 First-Year Player Draft. He agreed to terms and signed with the Brewers late Friday.

“Baseball’s only going to give you one chance in life and it’s real hard to pass it up,” Cravy, a 6-foot-3 right-hander, said Sunday before leaving town. He was assigned to the Brewers’ rookie league team in Phoenix, which opens its season June 21.

“It wasn’t even really the money — it wasn’t even that big of an issue to me,” said Cravy. “All I’ve ever really wanted to do is play baseball. This is the first step.”

Cravy said will receive a $75,000 signing bonus and $25,000 for college, if he returns to school when he’s done playing. Cravy agreed to the contract after meeting with Justin McCray, a Brewers scout. The Napa resident was the 526th overall selection.

“I feel like I’m able to play at that level,” said Cravy. “I’m going to get better and have good coaches there that know a lot about the game. I feel like I’m ready. I want to pitch as good as I can, get stronger and stay healthy.

“I just want to show them that I can pitch with any of the guys, hopefully show them how much that I want to play.”

Milwaukee announced the signing yesterday.

Cravy, who had a record-setting season as a starting pitcher, was named to the Community College Baseball All-America team. Cravy, a pitcher-position player, was chosen as the Bay Valley Conference’s Player of the Year as the Storm (22-18 overall, 16-11 BVC) took third place, missing out on the Northern California regional playoffs.

“I felt like I had a pretty good year,” he said. “I worked hard and did my best.”

It was his first season with the Storm after taking the 2008 season off.

“To be an All-American and the Player of the Year in our conference is really something special,” said Storm coach Bob Freschi. “He was a pleasure to coach and fun to watch.”

Cravy was 8-3 in 15 appearances with a 2.99 earned-run average. He broke Phil Simpson’s school record, set in 1988, by striking out 110 batters in 90 1?3 innings. Simpson had 108 strikeouts.

“We’re very proud of him and excited for him,” said Freschi. “We want what’s best for each player — Tyler has that opportunity to live out a boyhood dream. He’s going to do it.

“Tyler’s a special talent and he had a phenomenal year for us, both pitching and offense.”

Opponents batted .188 off Cravy, a right-hander, who went to Hogan High School-Vallejo. He made 12 starts with three complete games. He throws in the 88- to 90-mph range with good control.

Cravy also starred as a shortstop, first baseman and hitter, batting .335 with three home runs, 10 doubles, five triples and 40 RBIs.

“I’m very proud of him,” said Warren Brusstar, the Storm’s pitching coach.

“The biggest adjustment for him going into pro ball is that you’re going to be at the ballpark every day. I’m sure he will be one of the top five guys, arm-wise, that they will have there.”

Cravy was a Day 2 selection during the draft. He said he had no idea that he’d be where he is today.

“I didn’t really expect to have a standout year,” said Cravy, 19.

“I was just getting back into baseball. I just wanted to play again, I missed playing a lot. I ended up having a good year.”

Following the season, Freschi began getting calls from different four-year colleges wanting to know about Cravy, who has very good arm strength. His make-up, body type, and the action of his pitches got the attention of pro scouts.

“The ball just gets on you as a hitter,” said Freschi. “It’s just a matter of him developing and progressing. He’s just going to get better and develop and hopefully stick around for a while.”

Cravy’s fastball explodes out of his hand, said Brusstar, and he showed very good consistency from start to start.

The righthander also throws a curveball and changeup for strikes.

“He still has a long ways to go, but he will do nothing but get better,” said Brusstar. “The body’s there, the arm’s there — that’s what they’re looking for.

“The best of luck to him."

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Venezuelan 19-year-old RHP Francisco Rivero is the starter for the Maryvale crew tonight. He pitched in Maryvale in 2008, the DSL last season.

Your Opening Night lineup in Arizona --

AZL Brewers
Player AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO AVG
Shaw 2B 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .000
Rivera SS 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .000
Allison LF 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .000
Roberts, T C 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .000
Parker 3B 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .000
Rogers 1B 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .000
McKelvie, D DH 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .000
Walla, M RF 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .000
Garvey CF 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .000
Rivero, Fr P

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Look for your full update later this evening, but what a blast listening to Steve tonight (describing Helena's walkoff 7-6 win!).

Have to admit, in this age of MLB Extra Innings packages and such, I have definitely spent more time on the living room couch with the big league Crew than I have sitting by my computer speakers taking in full minor league audio calls as I did early in the decade back when listening to Mountain and Pacific time zone games in Helena, Ogden and/or High Desert were a regular event.

So tonight's convenient Milwaukee night off and Steve's fantastic call (as always, as Link Report fans have been seriously lucky to have the quality of his calls for the past several years now) definitely seemed like very old times for me.

Great game, congrats to all the kids who debuted tonight!

Brewer Fanatic Staff

In progress, bottom of the 7th at the Indians complex -- Arizona Brewers 10, Arizona Indians 2

Getting late -- doing this in a bit of piecemeal...

The A-Crew a model of efficiency through their first seven trips to the plate -- ten runs on 19 baserunners (six walks, three HBP's and ten hits, all but Nick Shaw's triple are singles); clean defense; and effective tightrope pitching from starter Francisco Rivero, who went five innings; Shaw, the Brewers' 25th round pick out of Barry (FL) University, has reached four times in five trips; 21-year-old CF Robbie Garvey was kind of a forgotten name, as he signed as an undrafted free agent late last summer but only debuts tonight, and he's reached three times in four trips from the nine-spot; 19-year-old catcher Tyler Roberts, hitting clean-up, has also been on base three times thus far; RF Max Walla, batting 8th, is 0-for-3 with two K's, but did walk and he scored the 10th Brewer run in the top of the 7th...

On the mound, Francisco Rivero made use of the double play ball to survive a scoreless 3rd inning in which he allowed three singles; another GIDP wiped out a leadoff single in the 4th; Rivero's line of 5 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 2 BB, and 5 K's was just fine given the 101 degree temperature at game time; documented for prosperity is the pro debut of 22-year-old undrafted free agent LHP Dexter Bobo, who came in for Rivero in the 6th --

AZL Indians Bottom 6th

• Pitcher Change: Dexter Bobo replaces Francisco Rivero.
  • Alex Monsalve grounds out to first baseman Jason Rogers.
  • Jesus Aguilar called out on strikes.
  • Anthony Gallas called out on strikes.

So that's where we stand as of the 7th inning stretch, 10-2 good guys, will attempt to update soon as the game wraps up.

Final: Nashville 8, Oklahoma City (Texas) 6

Sounds Take Three Of Four From RedHawks

Cruz, Oeltjen Crush Home Runs In Victory

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Luis Cruz jacked his fifth homer and added three RBIs to propel the Nashville Sounds over the Oklahoma City RedHawks, 8-6, on Monday evening at historic Greer Stadium in the finale of a four-game series.

Taking three of four from first place Oklahoma City, Nashville (38-32) scored seven of its eight runs with two outs. Six of Nashville's 10 hits went for extra-bases while seven different players in the Sounds lineup scored at least one run.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/images/news/articles/related_content_header.gif

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/images/news/articles/related-content-capper.gif
Sounds starting pitcher Chuck Lofgren (7-4) earned his team-leading seventh win after surrendering four runs while scattering seven hits with two strikeouts over five innings. Brandon Kintzler picked up his second save of the year, recording the final out after Mitch Stetter fanned the first two batters in the ninth inning.

The RedHawks quickly took a 1-0 lead in the top of the first inning as Esteban German led off the contest with a base hit up the middle followed by a Mitch Moreland walk. Later in the frame with German on third, Ryan Garko hit a sacrifice fly for the game's first run.

The Sounds went ahead 3-1 in the next frame, scoring all three runs with two outs in the inning. With Ray Olmedo and Brendan Katin on base, Joe Koshansky doubled to right field to score both runners and momentarily tie himself for the club lead with Cruz at 36 RBIs. Cruz then regained the RBI lead when he singled home Koshansky from second base for a 3-1 Sounds advantage.

Oklahoma City regained the lead in the third inning with two consecutive doubles and a two-run home run over the left field wall by first baseman Chris Davis, his eighth long ball of the year.

With two outs in the bottom of the fourth inning, centerfielder Trent Oeltjen crushed Doug Mathis' 2-2 pitch over the right field wall to knot the contest at 4-4. It was Oeltjen's sixth long ball of the season and the first home run hit in the last four games for Nashville.

After a Mat Gamel walk, Cruz added to his RBI total in the next inning by belting a two-run homer over the wall in left center, giving Nashville the 6-4 lead. The Sounds tacked on another run in the next inning, led by Martin Maldonado's first double of the season. Maldonado then came home on a two-out double from second baseman Ray Olmedo for a 7-4 Nashville lead.

The RedHawks got one run back in the top of the seventh inning and reduced the lead to two runs as Esteban German walked, stole second base, and then scored on a two-out RBI single by Mitch Moreland. Oklahoma City scored another run in the next inning and trimmed the lead to 7-6 after Gregorio Petit doubled home Jarrod Saltalamacchia.

Nashville added an insurance run in the bottom of the eight frame that made it 8-6. With the bases juiced, Katin hit a soft grounder to shortstop that brought home Oeltjen from third base.

Mathis (2-3) took the loss, allowing six runs on seven hits with three walks and four strikeouts in five innings pitched.

The Sounds travel three hours west tomorrow to Memphis to face the cross-state rival Redbirds in a five-game, four day series at AutoZone Park, beginning at 7:05 pm CT on Tuesday evening. Following his spectacular one-hit performance earlier in the week against the Redbirds, left-hander Chase Wright (5-3, 3.73) takes the mound again for Nashville against Memphis left-hander Evan MacLane (4-6, 4.48).

Nashville Boxscore

Chuck Lofgren continues to win games while giving his fair share of runs, color me unimpressed so far. Don't get me wrong, I like him as pitcher, even more so after that story BK linked to with Garth Brooks, it's just he simply needs to pitch better. Nashville used a very Larussaesque 5 pitchers tonight, with the final 4 pitchers all being pulled or inserted into the game mid inning, Mitch Stetter and Brandon Kintzler were the only 2 pitchers not to give up a run. HRs detailed above, Olmedo, Katin, and Cruz had multi hit games. Olmedo, Katin, Koshanshky, and Maldonado all doubled. Mat Gamel was 0-3 with 2 BBs and 2Ks.

Nashville Recap

- Plato

- Plato

Final: Clearwater 4 (Pihlly), Brevard County 0

Brevard County two-hit by Clearwater

By Frank Longobardo / Brevard County Manatees

VIERA - The Brevard County Manatees

returned home for their first home game in 13 days and were held to

just two hits by the Clearwater Threshers in a 4-0 loss on Monday night

at Space Coast Stadium.

The Manatees (26-41) had been on a recent power surge, but managed

just a bunt single by Josh Prince to lead off the sixth and a double to

right center by Matt Cline to lead off the ninth.

Brevard County starter Michael Fiers (3-8, 3.70) went 4 1/3 innings

and allowed four runs (all earned) on eleven hits, while walking one

and striking out four. Clearwater (36-32) got to Fiers early as they

scored twice in the first inning off of four hits.

The duo of Mike Ramlow and Andre Lamontagne combined to shut out the

Threshers in 4 2/3 innings of relief. Ramlow fanned five in his 2 2/3

innings of work.

Brevard County and Clearwater will continue the three-game series on

Tuesday night at Space Coast Stadium beginning at 7:05 p.m. Every

Tuesday is KRAFT Singles Tuesday Night Tickets. Fans who bring a KRAFT

Singles package wrapper to the box office get a special buy one ticket,

get one free deal.

Brevard County Boxscore

Ask and ye shall receive... a day after asking for the summaries, Frank comes through only to have absolutely nothing to talk about. Michael Fiers record is a joke given how he's pitched this season. He didn't have his best game tonight, but 3-8 is not representative of his efforts at all.

Brevard County Recap

In a hurry tonight so I just skimmed it, it's about what you would expect with 2 hits.

- Plato

- Plato

Final: Helena 7, Missoula (Arizona) 6

Helena Boxscore

I only was able to listen to the first inning before I had to run back to work, what a nice way to start the season for the H-Crew. Tyler Cravy didn't have the greatest debut after that first, but Steve certainly piqued my interest in him. Tyler ended with a final line of 5.2IP, 6H, 5ER, 2BB, and 1K. It sounds like he's pretty raw but throws hard, Helena could really use a stadium gun... get to work on that Steve! Ryan Burnal gave up 1 unearned run in his 1.1 IP. Brian Garman pitched the final 2 innings to get the win. Franklin Romero, Gregory Hopkins (apparently a slick fielder from what Steve said), and Shea Vucinich all had multiple hits. Romero and Vucinich also doubled, Michael Walker added a triple.

Helena Recap

Missed opportunity in the 1st.

Helena Bottom 1st

• John Bivens flies out to center fielder Chris Jarrett.
  • Franklin Romero walks.
  • Cody Hawn hit by pitch. Franklin Romero to 2nd.
  • Michael Walker walks. Franklin Romero to 3rd. Cody Hawn to 2nd.
  • Gregory Hopkins grounds into double play, shortstop Raul Navarro to first baseman Bobby Stone. Michael Walker out at 2nd.

Cravy had a real tough 2nd inning

Missoula Top 2nd

• Eric Groff doubles (1) on a fly ball to center fielder John Bivens.
  • Bobby Stone doubles (1) on a fly ball to left fielder John Dishon. Eric Groff scores.
  • Adonys Canelo doubles (1) on a fly ball to center fielder John Bivens. Bobby Stone scores.
  • Roberto Rodriguez homers (1) on a fly ball to right center field. Adonys Canelo scores.
  • Jae Yun Kim grounds out, shortstop Carlos George to first baseman Cody Hawn.
  • Fidel Pena flies out to right fielder Franklin Romero.
  • Chris Jarrett lines out to center fielder John Bivens.

The winning rally is always a must.

Helena Bottom 9th

• Pitcher Change: Randy Hamrick replaces William Harvil.
  • Franklin Romero singles on a ground ball to center fielder Chris Jarrett.
  • Cody Hawn singles on a ground ball to right fielder Roberto Rodriguez. Franklin Romero to 3rd.
  • Offensive Substitution: Pinch runner Reggie Keen replaces Cody Hawn.
  • Michael Walker triples (1) on a fly ball to center fielder Chris Jarrett. Franklin Romero scores. Reggie Keen scores.

- Plato

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: Arizona Brewers 10, Arizona Indians 3

Arizona Box Score

Final five 1/2 inning frames fairly uneventful (see most of the game details above), RHP Jose Sanchez finished up after making two rough appearances with the Timber Rattlers earlier this month; each team fanned 11, but the Brewer arms offered only two free passes, the Indians six walks and three HBP's; Yadiel Rivera gets the opening day shortstop nod at 18 years, one month, he'll be fun to watch...

Arizona Game Log

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Inherited runners-scored: Johnson, D 3-0.

Goes unmentioned so often, even in the Sounds' team recap, but David Johnson bailing out Tim Dillard in the 7th was a key in their victory. Must admit that when I open up each box score, it's the first stat line I scroll to in order to get a sense of the game log before heading there.

Kudos, David!

Archived