Brewer Fanatic

Does anybody see any reason to keep Edmonds?

logan82
Is Gerut still on this team?
Jody Gerut is still on the 15-day DL (retroactive to May 23) with the left heel injury. I saw him on the field after the Brewers won on June 11 and it looked like he had a walking boot on his left foot.

So until Edmonds' shoulder is improved, the Brewers had better hope nothing happens to Ryan, GoGo or Corey.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

This is pretty much the scenario I envisioned when Edmonds was signed. He's a toy Macha cannot help but play, so it seemed obvious he'd play nearly everyday. The good thing is that he has played well enough (.774 OPS) to garner interest from a contending team as veteran a LH bat off the bench / 4th OF. As long as his current injury isn't too serious, he should be pretty easy to trade, and I'd guess if he's healthy he'll be gone a month from now.

Since they need a RH bat, I'd hope they add Katin to the roster and keep Cain getting everyday PT in the minors until September. Let Gomez play everyday to see what he can do in order to give us more clarity for our OF situation going into next season. Next year, Edmonds and Gerut are gone and Hart may or may not be traded. We need to know what we have in Gomez to determine if Cain will be our RF or CF. Gerut's foot has to heal eventually, so he can be the backup CF with Katin as 5th OF / RH bat off the bench.

The other wrinkle is if that while everyone is talking about trading Hart this offseason, if we decide to hold onto Hart for next season, we may want to trade Gomez to make room for Cain. No team will give us much for him if he only plays 1-2 days a week for the remainder of the season. Either way, the sooner we realize we're not playing for this season anymore, the better for the team next year and beyond.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Gomez is taking the identical, knuckleheaded approach at the plate this year as he did the last 2 years in MN. TH or someone posted recently that he just keeps thinking he can be a 20-HR hitter. But he can't get it through his head that he's NOT that kind of hitter, so he keeps taking a stupid approach at the plate and his .232 BA & .280-ish OBP are the typical result. Until he can get the right idea into his head, I'm sick of him helping kill the offense.
I think I remember hearing that Sveum is working to give him more of a power swing. Sveum thought his problem was that he was trying to hit too many ground balls.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Yeah, they mentioned in one of the recent games that everyone has tried to get Gomez to swing on a downward plane or something and hit more ground balls to use his speed (as if he is going to beat our routine grounders to the infielders, a la Willie Mays Hays).

Schroeder said Sveum figured he may as well try something new since the old approach didn't seem to be working so well and is encouraging him to drive the ball more and swing upward. Gomez is certainly a big enough guy to have some power, his biggest problem is more plate discipline than the plane of his swing in my opinion.

If the team's not hitting I'm putting Edmonds in there. If it's purring on all cylinders I'd take out one of those cylinders and let Gomez play. He really is bad isn't he? Too bad, I love his range and arm. If I'm him I stop shaving until my OBP reaches .350. That ought to get him into Ripley's at least.

Archived