Brewer Fanatic

Does anybody see any reason to keep Edmonds?

logan82
Macha plays him quite a bit and I really don't believe his body can hack it. I also don't think he is a good or even average defender in CF where he plays the most. I do think he is a good hitter and wouldn't mind him playing only 1-2 times a week but that isn't how he is used. I don't believe he is a piece of our future(any year beyond this one) so I say we trade him for the best return possible. Our bench situation is cluttered enough as it is without having a guy sitting around injured but not on the DL.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

He seems like the kind of guy that might be useful for an AL contender looking for a bat off the bench or a part-time DH. I was a little puzzled by the signing when it happened, and I really don't like seeing him take ABs away from Gomez considering the team's situation. I get the feeling he'd appreciate being traded to a contender at this point, because I don't think he signed on to be the 4th outfielder on a team destined to finish a distant 3rd/4th. I wouldn't expect much in a trade for him, but I'd settle for a live arm that might have a future in the bullpen or something.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

He's more evidence for how I can't stand Macha's use of veterans. Last year we knew Counsell had a gimpy knee needing surgery (playing 3b) and McGehee having a gimpy knee needing surgery at 2b/3b. Yet Macha played them non-stop. This year he has a gimpy Edmonds that is easily outperforming the talent-wasted Gomez, yet he's running Edmonds into the ground by playing him this much. We all worried about it in April, yet whenever healthy he runs Edmonds out there too much

I'm in the same camp as craigharmann, and while I have enjoyed the small degree of bf.net bonding that developed over the Diego nickname, I wouldn't miss Edmonds if he were gone. Unfortunately, he's banged up again, which might make trading him a bit more of a challenge.

On a slightly related note, fans who are attending next Sunday's game can wish him a happy 40th birthday.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

He's more evidence for how I can't stand Macha's use of veterans. Last year we knew Counsell had a gimpy knee needing surgery (playing 3b) and McGehee having a gimpy knee needing surgery at 2b/3b. Yet Macha played them non-stop. \
McGehee was the opposite of a veteran last season.

I think the best option for the Brewers would be for Edmonds to basically sit back and take a PH/injury reserve role. However, I wonder if it would be best for the Brewers to drop him before he starts to hit his incentives. He gets an additional $.115MM for each of 200, 225, 250, ..., 425 PA's. It's not a huge amount, but it is something to consider.

Edmonds has very limited value, as he can not play every day. He could end up helping if they get in the race. It'll play out in a month or so.

Yes, but the team is out of it, and if he has any value he needs to be moved. All he's doing right now is playing horrible defense in CF and taking AB's away from Gomez.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Edmonds has very limited value, as he can not play every day. He could end up helping if they get in the race. It'll play out in a month or so.

Yes, but the team is out of it, and if he has any value he needs to be moved. All he's doing right now is playing horrible defense in CF and taking AB's away from Gomez.

Yeah, but here is the problem, we're NOT out of it. We're still in it. We're very, very close to being out of it. WE're on the precipice of being out of it, but at this point very few teams are out of it, and with the Reds and Cards not running away with it, we're still close enough that I don't see the white flag being waved just yet.

You can be as certain as you want that we're out of it, but at this point everyone and everything is on hold to see if they can get hot, and waiting for things to sort themselves out. Every so often a Brewers like team goes on a crazy run to put themselves back in the race as the Marlins did in '03, the A's around the same time(actually a few times), the Rox, the Twins last year.

I doubt we'll get back into it, but I doubt more that we're going to give up so soon with so much on the line(attendance impacting future payroll).

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

To be frank, taking ABs away from Gomez right now is a good thing. I think the guy could use a stint in AAA. Not that I'd want Jim Edmonds taking the ABs...preferably Lorenzo Cain, but perhaps I jump the gun...

Edmonds has a role as long as the Brewers are trying to claw back into the race. Macha may use him too much, but Gomez has been a huge disappointment for me.

Once the Brewers are completely out of the race, they need to give those at bats to Gomez. (And his .280 OBP)

The big question is who is the CF in 2011? Gomez? Cain? Someone else?

The answer definitely isn't Edmonds.

I agree w/ DoA totally. Gomez isn't playing in a way that deserves more PT. The guy, likable though he may be, and certainly worthy of his defensive reputation, is taking the identical, knuckleheaded approach at the plate this year as he did the last 2 years in MN. TH or someone posted recently that he just keeps thinking he can be a 20-HR hitter. But he can't get it through his head that he's NOT that kind of hitter, so he keeps taking a stupid approach at the plate and his .232 BA & .280-ish OBP are the typical result. Until he can get the right idea into his head, I'm sick of him helping kill the offense.

There's also the whole matter of a guy w/ his speed only having 8 SBs so far in 9 attempts, but Macha's relentless non-use of the running game despite the best team speed we've had in years is another whole separate discussion.

Gomez has to get on base to steal. He has to play to get on base to steal. I would rather see Gomez sent down, though it wouldn't gain us a year of service time at this point, because he needs consistent at bats to improve. My main point is Edmonds has no future with us so why keep him around. We are not going to compete this year so we might as well let Gomez play everyday somewhere.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

but Gomez has been a huge disappointment for me.
Not sure how he can be a disappointment to anybody. He has a .638 OPS this year and a .638 OPS for his career. He's exactly what I expected, a good defender who's a horrible hitter.

Gomez is hitting better than he has for his career, it just isn't showing up because of BABIP. He is never going to be a great hitter most likely though. If he can combine last years BB% with his improved K% and ISO from this year maybe he can be an everyday player because of his defense but that is about the upside most likely at this point.

Edmonds has a role as long as the Brewers are trying to claw back into the race. Macha may use him too much, but Gomez has been a huge disappointment for me.

Once the Brewers are completely out of the race, they need to give those at bats to Gomez. (And his .280 OBP)

The big question is who is the CF in 2011? Gomez? Cain? Someone else?

The answer definitely isn't Edmonds.

Edmonds is not a plus for helping them claw back in the race. His bat isn't so far superior to Gomez that it offsets the difference in defense and speed on the bases. His only value at all is as insurance for Hart or Braun going down (and Inglett might be able to fill that role as well). He's got little to no value as a PH. There he's just another lefty bat. They still need a RH bat off the bench. Barring a deal to acquire one, I'd be willing to just bring up Cain and have him split time in CF with Gomez and let the hot bat between those two play. They have 2 young catchers splitting time, why not do the same in CF and have the benefit of being able to use one late in games off the bench.

It's hard to find an AL contender that could even use Edmonds. Maybe Boston, but they are actually getting serviceable production from Hall with the Brewers paying most of his salary.

Best bet might be Angels. Juan Rivera's splits vs. RH pitchers aren't very good. Edmonds might cherish ending his career back with the Angels too.

Archived