Brewer Fanatic

What's bugging you? (2006)

splitterpfj

When people pronounce the T in often. It's silent! I was taught it was silent in school and someone in the early 90's decided the T should be heard. C'mon, it just sounds dumb.

I also dislike the word Horrific. Over used, although not as bad as it was about 5 years ago.

Someone else talked about not liking tatoos. I dislike them on women. I am 30 and it is a major knock in my book if a woman has a tatoo, and a double knock if it is a lame butterfly or something in the small of the back. Not original. Then I see these gals with tatoos all over their arms and back and legs. At that point it is just disgusting to me. Ok, I know I sound like an old man, but I just don't get it.

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today (so far), it's job applicants who don't follow instructions.

This is the time of year I hire student assistants for the library. We're dirt poor, so we look for students with work-study funding (a specific type of financial aid). I word the ad so it prominently says, "Work-study funding is required for this position. When replying to this ad, indicate the amount of your award."

Most people comply; but there are always some who respond and say nothing about the work-study. I've begun to use this as a test for following directions. It's a detail-oriented job and whoever doesn't get that detail is already off to a bad start - even if they do have work-study funding. (Usually the people who don't mention it hope to be considered despite their lack of funding.)

Still. These are college students at a "world class university" (as Donna Shalala so often put it). Read. The. Ad.

Oh, and cats are nocturnal. But the kittens will outgrow the need to play like crazy *all* night. How old are they?

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Quote:
I have never liked when people call a coke/pepsi a soda. To me, its always supposed to be a pop. When I think soda, I think a dry, colorless, fizzy drink to put in your booze.

I'm the exact opposite. Can't stand the word "pop" to describe a Coke/Pepsi. A soda is something you drink. Pop is what happens when you poke a ballon with something sharp.

I'll start having to wear pants instead of shorts soon,even worse when it's time to break out jackets.

How often places i go out to eat at can't seem to grasp that asking for no onions in my food means i don't want onions in my food.

I love onions on almost everything. I just put some on my mac and cheese a couple nights ago.

They discussed the shorts thing on KQ radio years ago when I lived in the Cities. Many people called in and said that, like myself, they'd wear shorts all year if people would simply accept that fact. But, due to the social interaction, they stopped wearing them in the cold. I used to walk the dog late at night in shorts despite cold and snow.

I, and many callers, couldn't figure out why ladies can wear skirts all year, but guys can't wear shorts.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Milwaukee is unique compared to the rest of the state in the whole "pop" vs "soda" thing. My brother and I used to get really PO'd at our cousins from Green Bay who asked us if we wanted a "pop". Being little wisacres, we'd always say "No, but we'd like a soda."
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

i didnt have time to read all of this so im not sure if this was said already. I have issues when people start using all these new slang terms around me and get mad when i have no idea what they are talking about. The other day at work someone asked me "you cakin' with that girl?" I looked at her like.....what the hell does that even mean?

I, and many callers, couldn't figure out why ladies can wear skirts all year, but guys can't wear shorts.

The difference is obvious, IMO. Women wear skirts in cold weather for aesthetic reasons. Unless you have especially impressive calves, your motivation is comfort.

The elderly bug me -- on a lot of things --

But here is one in particular.

Whenever I am waiting in line at the local grocer's, old people always grab a newspaper and then advance to the front of the line, and then chuck their change at the cashier regardless of who or what is transacting.

Apparently when you get to be 65, you get to cut in line and whip quarters at cashiers, and get to find out what combination of pills makes Walker Texas Ranger enjoyable to watch.

My wife grew up in Oconomowoc, which must be near the "dividing line." She says pop, pen and grandma, but also says auntie.....the first time I heard her do that it cracked me up.

In MN and IA, the kids don't play Duck, Duck, Goose.....they play Duck, Duck, Gray Duck.

Quote:
The Milwaukee area looks pretty isolated.

Looks to me like at least 1/3 of the state says soda. I grew up in Kenosha Co., now live in Dane, and it's soda, grandma, pen, aunt, and duck, duck, goose for me. Always has been. And there is no such thing as a bubbler, as far as I know. They don't exist anymore. Nowdays we have drinking fountains.

It really doesn't matter to me what some map tells me people use either. A Pepsi is a type of soda, and I'll never understand why people use "pop." People can say whatever they want, but that doesn't make it correct. All soda surely isn't Coke, like they say in the south; Coke is a brand of soda.

get to find out what combination of pills makes Walker Texas Ranger enjoyable to watch

Hey, thanks for the laugh, FTJ.

I've been labeled Auntie since the first nephew was born. Although he was the first grandchild on his dad's (i.e. my) side of the family, he's not the first on his mom's side, and that side already set the Auntie precedent. They're from Platteville.

One of my favorite things to study while getting my B.A. in linguistics was just this kind of thing: who says pop vs. soda vs. coke, who says nuclear vs. nucular, and much much more.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

States are interesting as well....

I lived in the state of Oregon for a nuber of years --- Out west it's "Oregin" -- anywhere else people say "Oregon". Oregonians will go ninja on you in a heartbeat if you say "Oregon" -- funny thing is almost all of them say "IllinoiSSSS" instead of "flatlanders"

Glad to oblige Hawing ...

I'm the exact opposite. Can't stand the word "pop" to describe a Coke/Pepsi. A soda is something you drink. Pop is what happens when you poke a ballon with something sharp.

I agree, it's soda. I always tell people "Pop" is the guy who married Mom.

In Madison, it's called a drinking fountain. I hate that. BUBBLER!!

They discussed the shorts thing on KQ radio years ago when I lived in the Cities. Many people called in and said that, like myself, they'd wear shorts all year if people would simply accept that fact. But, due to the social interaction, they stopped wearing them in the cold. I used to walk the dog late at night in shorts despite cold and snow.

If you're ever here in Madison, I'm the guy wearing the shorts. I don't recall one snowfall last year where I didn't shovel in shorts. Whenever I go somewhere (groceries, etc.) in the winter, there's a good chance I've got shorts on. I've heard a few people comment....so what, I'm comfortable this way and not looking to please Joe Public. I'm a big guy and generally, I am warm. I wish the climate was 68 degrees year round, it would be perfect for me.

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

In Madison, it's called a drinking fountain. I hate that. BUBBLER!!

Where else in the US do people say bubbler? I would like to know who started that in Milwaukee. When I was young I moved to Montana from Milwaukee and I asked my new teacher if I could get a drink from the bubbler and he looked at me as if I was going to stick my head in the urinal and start lapping up water like a dog.

My sister used to have a pink shirt with the word 'bubbler' on it and then a definition of the word. Classic!

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

From the bubbler Wikipedia article:

Quote:
While Harlan Huckleby is credited with the actual design, it was Kohler that patented it and trademarked the name

Didn't Harlan Huckleby play running back for the Packers back in the 70's?

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived