Brewer Fanatic

Kings of the solo shot

Bombers
Right- but not when they are getting beat 8-0. These stats measure blowout games either way.
Yes, but it eliminates games where both teams score less than four runs, so batting statistics will be better overall for games where the run differential is greater than four.

That probably doesn't explain all of Cameron's "struggles" in high leverage situations, but along with the natural noise in high leverage splits (due to the low number of high leverage plate appearances), I just don't think all of this criticism is justified.

Yes, but what is the value of a walk when you are hitting ahead of guys like Jason Kendall and the pitcher? I think I would be pitched around with first base open in those situations. If the pitcher is trying to walk you, there is not much to do but take the walk, so he couldn't be faulted for that. That said, when he does presumably getting pitches to hit, you have to look at the batting average and RBI's. He wasn't getting the job done when you look at that.
I consider these portions to be very contradictory. If the pitcher is trying to walk you , how can you get a hit. I would rather a guy take a walk than make poor contact on a pitcher's pitch.

If I had to interpret the numbers, I would say that he is probably pitched around in high leverage situations. Of course given the number of PA I think those numbers really don't mean anything.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Yes, but what is the value of a walk when you are hitting ahead of guys like Jason Kendall and the pitcher? I think I would be pitched around with first base open in those situations. If the pitcher is trying to walk you, there is not much to do but take the walk, so he couldn't be faulted for that. That said, when he does presumably getting pitches to hit, you have to look at the batting average and RBI's. He wasn't getting the job done when you look at that.
I consider these portions to be very contradictory. If the pitcher is trying to walk you , how can you get a hit. I would rather a guy take a walk than make poor contact on a pitcher's pitch.

If I had to interpret the numbers, I would say that he is probably pitched around in high leverage situations. Of course given the number of PA I think those numbers really don't mean anything.

Point taken. But if the pitcher is trying to pitch around you, you should get a walk, unless you are pressing and swinging at bad pitches (which would be reflected in your BA). At other times the pitcher may go after you in these situations, in which your success will presumably also be reflected by your batting average (assuming the pitcher is able to throw strikes). In those cases, the low batting average is telling, and if anything the OPS would be inflated- meaning I would expect a guy hitting in front of Braun and Fielder in those spots to have a lower walk rate and OPS than a guy hitting in front of Jason Kendall and Jason Bourgeois.

At any rate, I will stop trying to turn this into a thread bashing Cameron. I did enough of that last year.

Archived