Brewer Fanatic

Conor Jackson and cash to A's; reliever Sam Demel to D-backs

Demel's just 24 and has put up impressive numbers in minors as a closer.

Jackson is similar in age and experience to Corey Hart and would be comparable to Corey, but his value had dropped considerably due to injury in 09 and lackluster performance this year. Still, Demel isn't a bad return for a team in desperate need of bullpen help.

You may want to add that the Diamondbacks made the trade http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I had to go google it, as I had no idea who Jackson played for.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Does this at all refute some of the arguements flying around here:

-MLB hitters nearing free agency can indeed be traded for minor league pitching

-MLB players retain value even after down years. Jackson was a low-.800 OPS LF until his injury and hasn't yet found his stroke.

-Position players can be traded mid-season

So, if a LF who had a couple .820-ish OPS years a few years back and has often been replaced this season due to lack of production can net a 24-year-old, MLB-ready closer-in-waiting who strikes out 10 per 9 innings in the minors, is it possible a career .923 OPS 1B with similar time remaining before free agency who has never been injured and has been very productive over the past few seasons could net a little more than that? Possibly even a young, near MLB-ready starting pitcher?

Good to see at least one team out of the hunt starting to sell off. Maybe it will put a spur Melvin's saddle and get him motivated to start making some phone calls.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

All other things remaining equal, would you trade Fielder for Conor Jackson? If not, do you think Fielder should get a significantly higher return than Conor Jackson?

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived