Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Sat. 6/12 -- In terms of wins and losses, an organizational wipeout

Final: DSL Mariners 11, DSL Brewers 10 (14 innings)

DSL Brewers box score

Jeez, this box score looks a lot like the FSL ASG one. After seven innings, the D-Crew was down 10-4, but did a really nice job to come back while Jose Cepeda tossed four scoreless innings, allowing just a hit and a walk while striking out four, to calm things down. Cepeda's now allowed one run in 11 innings this year while striking out 10 and walking three; he's 20, too old for that success to mean much in the DSL, but maybe we'll see him stateside later this year if he keeps it up. 18-year-old CF Erickson Salaya was 2-3--surprisingly, that's the best line on the team. Jose Pena entered late as a pinch hitter and was 0-1. Hitaniel Arias, like Salaya and Pena, entered the game late and drew two walks in three trips. RF Jose R. Garcia and SS Andres Martinez played the whole game and were both 1-6, with Garcia adding a walk. I must have jinxed C Carlos Pena, who was 0-3.

DSL Brewers play-by-play

Figures that the winning run would score on a wild pitch

DSL Mariners Bottom 14th

• Jordy Lara flies out to right
    fielder Jose R. Garcia.
  • Ivan Brea singles on a line drive
    to right fielder Jose R. Garcia.
  • Janelfry Zorrilla singles
    on a line drive to right fielder Jose R. Garcia. Ivan Brea to 3rd.
  • With David Batista batting, wild pitch by
    Carlos Sosa, Ivan Brea scores. Janelfry Zorrilla to 2nd.

Final: Dayton 3, Wisconsin 2

One swing makes a difference

Chris Mehring/Wisconsin Timber Rattlers

GRAND CHUTE, WI – The Dayton Dragons scored all of their runs in the second game of a doubleheader against the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers on one swing of the bat. But, it was enough for a 3-2 victory to sweep the home team at Time Warner Cable Field.

Chris Richburg stepped to the plate with two on and two out in the top of the third inning in a scoreless game. Rattlers starting pitcher Kyle Heckathorn had a 2-2 count on the Dayton first baseman. Richburg fouled two pitches off before lining a homer over the wall in left for a 3-0 lead. The home run, Richburg’s eighth of the season, was the fourth of the twinbill against the Rattlers.

Dayton starter Tim Crabbe held the Rattlers two a pair of hits and struck out six over five scoreless innings to set the Dragons (26-36) up for the sweep.

Wisconsin (22-40) got going against Dayton reliever Junior Martinez in the bottom of the sixth inning. Martinez issued a pair of walks, threw a wild pitch, and his catcher had a passed ball to put two runners in scoring position with two outs. Chris Dennis smacked a two-run single through the right side of the infield to plate both runners and get the Rattlers to within 3-2.

But, Martinez pitched a scoreless seventh to pick up his first save.

Dayton pitchers held Wisconsin hitters to six hits in the doubleheader. All six Wisconsin hits were two-out singles.

The final game of the series is Sunday afternoon. Wisconsin will send Nick Bucci (3-3, 2.26) to the hill. Dayton has Pedro Villarreal (3-4, 3.59) as their scheduled starting pitcher. Game time is 1:05pm.

Sunday is a Brewers Sunday presented by 107.5 The Fan. Timber Rattlers players will be wearing jerseys and caps based on those of the 1982 Milwaukee Brewers. Also, the first 1,000 fans into the stadium will receive a figurine of Timber Rattler mascot Fang driving a NAPA Racecar courtesy of NAPA. Additionally, fans may play catch on the field before the game and take part a post-game autograph session with the players.

If you can’t make it to the game, you may tune in to the broadcast on AM1280, WNAM. The Miller Lite Pregame Show begins at 12:45pm.

Wisconsin box score

Heckathorn's final line: 6 IP, 6 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 4 K. He did a nice job keeping the ball on the ground (except for that pesky homer), getting 12 ground outs against only two air outs. He had only one punch out through five innings but finished with a flourish, striking out the side in the 6th, all swinging.

Wisconsin play-by-play

Heckathorn consistently threw his 4 seamer 94 on the stadium gun, and hit 95 a few times, Not much hard contact against him, except the homer than was crushed off an 89 mph sinker.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Heckathorn consistently threw his 4 seamer 94 on the stadium gun, and hit 95 a few times, Not much hard contact against him, except the homer than was crushed off an 89 mph sinker.

X... Chris said that was a mistake, left up in the zone over the middle of the plate?

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Staff
Still a bit of time to go, but this is looking like a near-historically crummy evening for the organization.

0-6, with five one-run losses representing various extreme levels of frustration, both on the mound and at the plate, a 10-0 blowout, and an All-Star Game loss in which the sole Brewer pitcher surrenders a home run to the first batter he faces. Yeah, that qualifies...

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Omaha.com:

Alex Gordon went 1 for 4 and scored the game’s only run after running through the stop sign of manager Mike Jirschele at third base on Scott Thorman’s sixth-inning single. Gordon rounded the bag too far, hesitated and then headed for home and would have been out, but catcher Martin Maldonado couldn’t come up with the throw of right fielder Brendan Katin. Gordon has a 32-game on-base streak, the longest by any PCL player this season, though Matt Carson of Sacramento put together a 33-game streak over parts of 2009 and 2010.

X... Chris said that was a mistake, left up in the zone over the middle of the plate?

Yup, 1 of the few. His command is actually much better than what I expected when I asked for him at draft time.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

X, did Heckathorn do anything different in the 6th, when he struck out the side?

Sorry, i actually missed most of that inning, as I was picking up my team signed jersey I won in the silent auction.

Archived