Brewer Fanatic

Whats the rarest baseball thing you've seen in person?

The rarest thing I saw was Prince's inside the park home run against the Blue Jays, 6/19/08. Dave Bush also had a no hitter into the 8th that day. Then, the bullpen nearly blew an 7 run lead by giving up 6 runs with 2 outs in the 9th. It was a strange game.
You may run like Mays...

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The rarest thing I saw was Prince's inside the park home run against the Blue Jays, 6/19/08. Dave Bush also had a no hitter into the 8th that day. Then, the bullpen nearly blew an 7 run lead by giving up 6 runs with 2 outs in the 9th. It was a strange game.
I always forget that those two rare things happened in the same game. I was monitoring that one on Gameday at the library and was going to order my assistant to join me at the Union in case Dave got to the 9th with the no-no intact. (My then-assistant is also a Brewers fan and is in fact the person who got me on the Corey Hart bandwagon.)

Seems like a long time ago.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

If you watch the replay of that HR, you can see exactly when I realize Prince is going to scoot into home without the umps calling a dead ball. He was about 20 ft past 2nd, and I knew the RF could not get the ball in before he got home. I'm the one waving his arm like a moron.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

on that Blue Jay game, if my memory serves me right, part of that 6 run rally by the Jays was a grand slam off the bat of none other than Joe Inglett.

Going strictly on memory, I'm about 99% sure it was him

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

on that Blue Jay game, if my memory serves me right, part of that 6 run rally by the Jays was a grand slam off the bat of none other than Joe Inglett.

Going strictly on memory, I'm about 99% sure it was him

Yes. Yes, it was. And Gregg Zaun was among the players driven in by "Voodoo Joe" (a nickname I can't believe we haven't adopted here).

The link is from Facebook, and in case you have to be a Facebook user to see it, here's the text:

Some Joe Inglett trivia

by Milwaukee Brewers on Wednesday, January 27, 2010 at 1:12pm
Two things you have to know about Joe Inglett:

-- He's already had a Miller Park moment. Inglett hit a grand slam off David Riske on June 19, 2008, a Blue Jays-Brewers game that was memorable because the Jays nearly spoiled a big day for Dave Bush.

Bush took a no-hitter into the eighth inning that day and the Brewers

had an 8-0 lead, but Toronto scored once in the eighth and six more

times in the ninth before Salomon Torres closed out an 8-7 win.

Among the players who trotted home on Inglett's only career grand slam was Gregg Zaun, who signed with the Brewers in December.

-- He has a sweet nickname: Voodoo Joe. The moniker came from former Jays manager John Gibbons,

who noticed on more than one occasion that just when the team was

poised to demote Inglett to the Minors, injury to another player would

prolong his stay.

Hopefully, Inglett doesn't have the same knack with the Brewers.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

In 1988, as part of a doubleheader, I saw Joey Meyer hit a walk-off homer off Roger Clemens in a Brewers 3-2 win. As I remember the home run was an opposite field, down the line shot that just cleared the 315 sign in the right field corner. Joey was 1 of 4 that day, and I believe in his first 3 at bats he struck out each time w/o hitting the ball once.

The rarest thing I saw was Prince's inside the park home run against the Blue Jays, 6/19/08. Dave Bush also had a no hitter into the 8th that day. Then, the bullpen nearly blew a 7 run lead by giving up 6 runs with 2 outs in the 9th. It was a strange game.
Seems like a long time ago.
It does seem like a long time ago. I didn't remember the Inglett connection.

I was also at a 17 inning game on 5/15/03 in which the Brewers lost 4-2 to the cubs. It was K. Wood and Sheets, and it was 1-1 after 9.

You may run like Mays...

I'll chime in on this one too.

I was at the Dave Bush 4 straight HR game - and I was absolutely cheering for a 5th one, just for the history. I doubt I can ever top this, since it's only happened a few times ever.

I have seen not 1, but 2 Brewer cycles in person - Chad Moeller against the Reds and Jody Gerut against the Dbacks this year in Arizona. It's not so much the cycles, though they are pretty rare, it's the fact that it was those 2 schmucks that did it.

Not overly rare, but I saw the Brewers turn a triple play against the Cubs on Opening Day, now that was sweet.

When I was a little kid, our little league team went to a game and saw the Brewers trail 7-0, only to come back and score 13 runs in an inning, then 7 in the next inning in route to a 20-7 win. I believe it is still the most runs the Brewers have ever scored in an inning.

A couple years back against the Nationals (I think), I saw a balk-off win for the Brewers. Runners at the corners, pick off move to first called a balk. And the Brewers balked-off. It was very strange. This can't possibly happen very often.

I've seen a 1 hit, 17K game (Curt Schilling) against the Brewers and Ben Sheets 18K game against the Braves.

And in Houston a couple of years ago, I saw the couple in front of us (say early twenties in age) wear matching outfits to the game. Not just matching outfits, but matching white shorts, pink polo shirts and identical sandals. The guy even had his collar popped. I've never seen anything else like it at a baseball game or anywhere else for that matter.

I saw a complete game shutout by Rueben Quevedo against San Diego in 2002. On the negative I saw the Hendrickson start where he gave up a bunch of runs and didn't record an out, I think it was the Twins. Other than that I haven't been to very many pro baseball games (maybe 2 a year).

I saw Juan Nieves' no-hitter and have the ticket stub to prove it.

Since there was only 1 Brewers no-no..... I believe I have jumped into the lead in this thread. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/tongue.gif

Which still doesn't mean I'm not slightly jealous of other posters. I have always wanted to see live/ see on TV/ hear on the radio a Brewers triple play and I never have.

bay, they showd 2 guys behind the dugout with brewer hats on for the no hitter, was that you?

That was my brother and me (#118 above). Along with the video, my brother also has his scorecard signed by Nieves after the game as proof. Paciorek made a great catch early on to keep it going.

I remembered the 20-7 game as 7 in one inning to tie it up and then 13 the next (listened to the Angels broadcast that day). Now I see it was 1 then 6 then 13.

I apologize for my poor thread-scanning abilities. I really thought I was the first one.

But since you are here...

1) Congratulations! Wasn't that a great game!

2) Do you remember how cool the Baltimore fans were? We got teased a little at the start of the game, but

around the 4th inning, when Nieves started calming down and getting better control of his pitches, the Baltimore fans

in my area started talking about the possibility of a no-no and by the 7th inning were cheering for Juan right along

with my roommate and I.

3) I don't think the TV has ever done justice to how far Yount ran to make the last catch. I remember Paciorek shading

the LF line and Yount way over on the left side of CF before the play started. What are your recollections of it?

baybeachbum:

I remember thinking Yount had a bead on it all the way after a great jump and not being surprised he got there. My brother thought there was no way he'd make it and it is one of the great game ending catches of all time.

The Oriole fans were always pretty mellow and they were all rooting for the no no where we were too. They all remember 82 but there wasn't much of a rivalry by the late 80s, which was a down time for them. I had a friend who worked for EBW's law firm and their seats were always available for the Brewer games. The next year we went up there for opening day (had to buy tix for that one) and Higuera beat them 12-0 and I thought this is the worst major league team I've ever seen and they went on to lose the next 20 as well.

Towards the end on the no-hitter I was thinking what are the odds I'd see the Brewers beat the Orioles 7-0 to start a season 9-0 and leave the game unhappy. Fortunately that didn't happen. It's also nice not to be on that list with the Mets and Pads.

Good game last night. Needed that after the beat down out here early in the season. The bag is off my head.

08/21/10 Matt Stairs sets mark for most career pinch-hit HR - The ball landed about 10 rows from me. I would wager less than 50 people realized what had just happened.
They were still in shock from learning that Matt Stairs was still in the majors.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived