Brewer Fanatic

Whats the rarest baseball thing you've seen in person?

The trade was 27 years ago last week, and I'm still mad about it.
I still remember where I was when I heard the news (or more specifically, read the news, as I saw it in a newspaper). June 6, 1983. /grumbling/
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The closest thing I can remember was Jenkins 3 HR game against
the Expos at Miller Park. I think it was in '05 or thereabouts.

He
had a solo, 2 run, and 3 run homer, and came up in the 7th with the
bases loaded. HAD he connected and hit the granny, he would have been
the first player in MLB history to complete a HR "cycle" in a 4 HR
game. The fact that he came up with just the CHANCE to do it has to be
crazily defiant of the odds to begin with.

I was at that game too. It was great to watch. I also remember watching Vladimir throwing the ball across the field before the game. The guy's arm is amazing. Another good memory of mine was Twins/White Sox at the Dome a few years ago. Santana going against Garcia. After about 7 or so innings both pitchers were working on a no-hitter. The only baserunner was a walk issued by Garcia. It might have been Jaque Jones who broke it up. Can't remember exactly who. I also remember about 20 years ago at County Stadium Greg Vaughn hit this monster shot. I was very young at the time and remember sitting there in awe of how far he hit it. I know that's not a rare thing but it made a nice childhood memory for me.

The trade was 27 years ago last week, and I'm still mad about it.
I still remember where I was when I heard the news (or more specifically, read the news, as I saw it in a newspaper). June 6, 1983. /grumbling/
I do too. I didn't get too upset at first, because I honestly thought that my leg was getting pulled. Back in the dark days before the Internet, I had to turn the radio on to confirm- then I saw red.

Saw no-hitters in back-to-back years, an unnerving double-dose that involved the local franchise but did not include a Brewers pitcher. Was in Detroit with my Tigers-loving in-laws for Verlander and at Miller Park for Zambrano in Hurricanegate.

Nothing beats Braun/Sabathia in the 2008 finale, though.

Not too impressive, I'm afraid.

-Canseco's 40th steal for 40/40, had the stub auto'd at one point, no clue where it is now

-Yount's 3000th hit

-I saw 2 of McGwire's HRs during his "record setting" season

-Not a feat per se, but I was at a ST game in Tucson, where Troy Glaus took 2 swings against Jose Capellan and hit balls what had to have been a combined 1000 feet. I remember after the first one thinking that I'd never seen a ball hit that far, only for it to be matched by the second. Ah, Jose. 100 mph goes the other way so fast when it is has no movement.

I can't think of anything extraordinarily noteworthy that's happened on the field, but I was at the 6/15/2001 game between the Brewers & Royals that was suspended after 1 inning because the lights weren't working. Jamey Wright was poised for dominance, I say!

Ahhh.... 2001, when Brewer-related misery was more acceptable.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Listened to Nieves no-no (there was only one of those...)

Saw a A-ball Peoria Cubs pitcher break his leg (femur) on a line drive up the middle while his leg was still in the air on his follow through. Was sitting first row behind the plate, so it was the perfect view.

Same Peoria game, a foul ball clocked a lady on top of the head as she was walking up to the concession stand. Two ambulance rides from that game.

Saw Robin Yount's 2998th hit (why is everyone so obsessed with 3000???)

The rarest event I've seen in an MLB game was 1977 or 1978 a player was declared out for batting out of order. Little League stuff.

Bill Hall almost did the same thing a few years back, but corrected the situation during his PA.

The rarest event I've seen in an MLB game was 1977 or 1978 a player was declared out for batting out of order. Little League stuff.

Bill Hall almost did the same thing a few years back, but corrected the situation during his PA.

Anybody remember the Robin Yount/Mike Young lineup card fiasco in I believe 1988?

I was at a game at Miller Park vs. the Cardinals where it went to extra innings.

Oh yeah, and Albert Pujols had to play second base because of an injury to Cesar Izturis, IIRC. I didn't see many runners go in hard to second after the position change.

Anybody remember the Robin Yount/Mike Young lineup card fiasco in I believe 1988?
I think I was at that game...or else I remember it really, really well. I'd have to check my stub collection.

But yeah, Jimbo's post above had me thinking of it even before I scrolled down to see RCC's reply.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

July 29, 1979. Jim Gantner got ejected after Lou Pinella took him out on a close play at third base. Don Money took his place at third. Since Money was the DH, our pitcher, Bill Travers, ended up making a plate appearance and executed a bunt. I can't remember ever seeing a situation like that where a team lost the use of the DH. Also, during a chorus of college boys chanting expletives at Pinella, a drunken fan hopped the fence in front of us, dropped his pants, and mooned all of the 52,000 fans in attendance. The crowd was just on fire during that game. The bullpen and bench had cleared when Gantner and Pinella were rolling around and security was lining the field at the end of the game. I can still remember Pinella and Micky Rivers standing in the outfield, staring into the stands.

I also witnessed one of Chris Barnwell's hits in a Brewer uniform. Rickie Weeks followed it up with a line shot into the stands off of Joel Zumaya.

Nothing to cool, but what stands out for me would be:

Eddie Perez hitting the pole for a walk-off V the Reds. In that game Brooks also k'ed Ken Griffy.

Neugebauer get a win.

Juan Bell start in RF for the 'Crew.

Jeffery Leonard give us the one-flap down.

I was at the make-up double-header against the Astros in 2000 where the Brewers were down 9-2 with no-one on base and two outs in the bottom of the 9th inning. They ended up tying the game in the bottom of the 9th and won it on a Jose Hernandez home run in the 10th. One of the biggest comebacks in MLB history. It was very exciting...hit after hit after hit. I think it was May 22, 2000. There was only around 3,300 people in attendance since it was originally an off-day but the two previous games were rained out. All tickets were $10 and my brother and I were in the second row behind the Brewers dugout. He couldn't get off of work so he wasn't able to make it to the first game until the middle of the 9th and I remember him saying that he wasn't going to count this loss in his overall Brewers record since he wasn't there for almost the entire game...but when the Brewers came back he changed his mind.

I also was at or was supposed to be at two of the more-recent triple play games but I never actually saw them.

The first was an Opening Day (I think it was Opening Day at least) game against the Cubs. The Brewers were losing pretty badly so we decided to leave. When we were on the concourse we heard everyone cheering and ran to where we could see the field and saw that we missed a triple play...bummer.

The second was last year's (I think it was the infamous Fielder bowling-over walk-off). That game was part of our ticket package but it was during my vacation so I had to sell the tickets.

I think that these situations are even more-rare than actually seeing the triple plays.

The rarest event I've seen

in an MLB game was 1977 or 1978 a player was declared out for batting

out of order. Little League stuff.

Bill Hall almost did the same thing a few years back, but corrected the

situation during his PA.

Anybody remember the Robin

Yount/Mike Young lineup card fiasco in I believe 1988?

Mike

Young's whole Brewers career was a fiasco. Decent promise & respectable results in

Baltimore. Came to the Brewers & did absolutely nothing - practically literally!

Two in-person odd Home Opener incidents come back to mind:

1. The year the umps came darn close to calling a forfeit when so many fans kept throwing giveaway-promo baseballs onto the field. So many idiots that day just kept on throwing 'em. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Sad thing is, too many of 'em probably thought they were cool for doing it, too. Knuckleheads. Anyway, after that lovely incident, the Brewers no longer gave away promotional items like that before the game, only afterward.

2. The year (1986? if so, senior skip day & the only day I ever skipped school -- but it wasn't a true skip because I had a legit note from my mom, but anyway...) Bobby Witt got pulled after 5 with a no-no going because he was walking the entire planet (no hits & 10 Ks, but already 2 runs on 8 walks).

Edit: The Bobby Witt game was the 2nd home game of 1986 per baseball-almanac.com. I don't get that. Why would our school ever have made anything but the home opener senior skip day? Makes no sense.

I saw Robin Yount's 3000th hit. I was there the night Jose Canseco hit his 41st home run and got his 40th stolen base. I saw Al Hrabosky almost walk in the winning run against the Brewers only to have Marty Pattin come in mid at bat to finish the job. The first game I ever went to I saw Henry Aaron play for the Brewers, while Reggie Jackson played centerfield for the A's. Oh, and I saw a Jeff Suppan victory last season.

1. The year the umps came darn close to calling a forfeit when so many fans kept throwing giveaway-promo baseballs onto the field.

I believe that was opening day in the late 90's.

I was there for the Sveum 3 HR game. Also saw a triple play back in 1999.

I can't think of anything extraordinarily noteworthy that's happened on the field, but I was at the 6/15/2001 game between the Brewers & Royals that was suspended after 1 inning because the lights weren't working. Jamey Wright was poised for dominance, I say!

Ahhh.... 2001, when Brewer-related misery was more acceptable.

Forgot about that one...that was my first trip to Miller Park.

I was visiting a friend in Minnesota. His company had Twins tickets and he asked me if I wanted to go to the game the next day. The Orioles were in town. We saw history that day as Ripken singled three times, the last of which was career hit number 3000. It was my first and only time in the Metrodome. My friend isn't even a baseball fan.
I thought maybe I was the only one here that was at Ripken's 3000th hit! I remember heading to the game and hearing that he was 3 hits away, and thinking there was not much of a chance he'd get 3 hits in one game....

I was at the game when Ripken hit his 3,000th too. Went Friday night in case he got hot that night, then went back Saturday when he got the hit. As an Oriole fan it was great to see Eddie Murray coaching 1B and the first one to congratulate Cal when he reached the base. Twins ran a nice video presentation on the scoreboard and the fans were great.

Archived