Brewer Fanatic

Whats the rarest baseball thing you've seen in person?

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Robin19 beat me to the Stanton balk-off. That is probably one of my favorite rare moments that I've seen.
"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

Here is something unusual that I have experienced . . .

For the past 27 years I have attended about 15 to 25 Brewers home games per season. During all those years of watching numerous games at County Stadium and Miller Park, I have only witnessed one incident where the benches cleared and a fight was about to occur. However, I have seen the Brewers get involved in bench clearing incidents in road games at Pittsburgh, Anaheim, and Chicago (White Sox). This is despite having only seen one game in Pittsburgh, two games in Anaheim, and four games at Comiskey Park during my lifetime.

What are the odds ???

Robin19 beat me to the Stanton balk-off. That is probably one of my favorite rare moments that I've seen.--

myself and two of my friends had seats right behind the nats bullpen. We were giving it to Stanton terribly as he was warming up. 'Sell your house in the hamptons Stanton, you're not in New York anymore baby'. He got pissed and he had us relocated moments before he entered this game. We 3 have long taken credit for this win, jokingly claiming the crew was 80 and 81 without us.

My memory is terrible and some of the things on this list I remembered while reading this thread (I wish I had kept the stub for many of these):

-3 World Series games that the Brewer's were involved in (actually did keep the stub for these - leftcenter beaches).

-3 ALCS games in Milwaukee where the Brewers came back from a 2-0 deficit (first time in baseball playoff history), including the AL pennant clinching game.

-Tie All Star Game

-Yount 3,000th hit

-Game where Molitor's 39 game hitting streak ended. And for those who don't remember - Rick Manning, who was just traded to Milwaukee for the beloved Gorman Thomas has the game winning hit to end any chance of Molitor coming to bat again for another shot at extending his streak. Manning was booed for winning the game for Milwaukee.

-Fielder/Weeks 1st HR game

-5 HR in one inning game

- Ricky Henderson's single season stolen base record game (if I remember correctly it was also Mt. Dew bat night - that's pretty rare too!)

- The game that ended Mark Guidry's 13-0 record. I think Moose Haas beat him.

- Brand't Brown last out dropped ball game - I think Sosa hit HRs 65 and 66 in that game as well (I could be wrong about the HR #'s)

I wasn't at this game but I think a walk off Balk wins. How often has that occured? Also, is the Edmonds Diego game the game where some one answered Jim Edmonds to a question on the score board where one of the hints was "His middle name is Diego"? I was at that game and remember it, but I had no idea that it had become famous on this board - I missed that.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I attended the game in 1983 in which Tippy Martinez of the Orioles picked off three Blue Jays in one inning. (It was a bizarre game in which former Brewer utility IF Lenn Sakata wound up catching for the only time in his career.)

I was at the Henderson stolen base record game and when Canseco got his 40th SB to be the first 40/40 guy. Seem to be more A's feats than Brewers.

'87 was amazing...was at games 10 & 11 of the Opening Streak (I couldn't blow off Mom's big Easter brunch for game 12 could I?) and probably caught 4 of Molitor's hit streak games.

Saw Molitor steal three bases in one inning, that was cool.

Was also at the game where Reggie Jackson jumped Mike Caldwell and Caldwell grabbed his bat and broke it.

Unassisted triple play. Furcal (Atl v. StL). I was one of a group of 3 on a road trip who began immediately screaming while the rest of the stadium figured out what was happening. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I was at a Brewers game where the offense looked lifeless (except for two solo home runs by Fielder) , where Gallardo was pitched ok the first couple innings but then gave up a 2-RBI single to an American League pitcher for that pitcher's first MLB hit, and then it went downhill from there.

Patrick425, that Brant Brown game featured (or included, depending on how important you thought it was) either Sosa's 64th and 65th or 65th and 66th. Certainly most games don't end the way that one did. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif It remains one of the most remarkable games I've ever attended.

In late 1998 we were at the game where Mark McGwire struck out four times against the Brewers. That was satisfying. I remember lots of STL fans with Big Mac shirts so bright red I was expecting to see tags still attached.

Also, yes, Mr. Edmonds got his new if inconsistently used Diego nickname from the early 2010 game where someone guessed Jim Edmonds instead of Jody Gerut despite the Diego clue; and despite the clue of "He hit a grand slam vs. the Cubs in 2009." That's only special on brewerfan.net, not (sadly) in the game as a whole.

I had the middling-at-best fortune to also be at that 2002 game where Shawn Green had four home runs. It was nice to have a day off (it was a weekday game) but seeing Glendon Rusch put the Brewers out of it within literally 10 minutes of the first pitch was pretty depressing for a ballgame.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I was visiting a friend in Minnesota. His company had Twins tickets and he asked me if I wanted to go to the game the next day. The Orioles were in town. We saw history that day as Ripken singled three times, the last of which was career hit number 3000. It was my first and only time in the Metrodome. My friend isn't even a baseball fan.

Like many others, I was in attendance for the Brewers' first playoff win in 26 years.

-Game where Molitor's 39 game hitting streak ended. And for those who don't remember - Rick Manning, who was just traded to Milwaukee for the beloved Gorman Thomas has the game winning hit to end any chance of Molitor coming to bat again for another shot at extending his streak. Manning was booed for winning the game for Milwaukee.
I understand that you put that your memory is bad on some of these, but this is simply not true. And I'm not singling you out, per say, as I see this all over various online forums. Manning (& Rick Waits) were traded to Milwaukee for Gorman in 1983, not 1987 during Molitor's streak.

I do apologize if you were emphasizing the "just traded" part in meaning "we ONLY go Rick Manning for our beloved Gorman Thomas! What a rip-off! Gorman is worth WAY more than that!"

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I understand that you put that your memory is bad on some of these, but this is simply not true. And I'm not singling you out, per say, as I see this all over various online forums. Manning (& Rick Waits) were traded to Milwaukee for Gorman in 1983, not 1987 during Molitor's streak.

I do apologize if you were emphasizing the "just traded" part in meaning "we ONLY go Rick Manning for our beloved Gorman Thomas! What a rip-off! Gorman is worth WAY more than that!"

The trade was 27 years ago last week, and I'm still mad about it. One of probably a dozen clutch hits Manning got in 4.5 years with the team, and it had to come then.

all in-person:

2 Brewers' defensive triple plays (the Home Opener one against the Cubs & the one in the DH against Toronto, game 1 of which was Woodard out-dueling Clemens in his ML debut; wasn't Cirillo &/or Vina in on both?)

those are the only triple plays i've witnessed.

i've also been on hand for dave winfield's 3000th hit and for scott erickson's no-hitter against the brewers.

i also was around for the edwin nunez sucker punch.

pitchleague[/b]]
Patrick425[/b]]-Game where Molitor's 39 game hitting streak ended. And for those who don't remember - Rick Manning, who was just traded to Milwaukee for the beloved Gorman Thomas has the game winning hit to end any chance of Molitor coming to bat again for another shot at extending his streak. Manning was booed for winning the game for Milwaukee.

Ok, after reading this, I had to check for myself. Wow...I forgot that Manning had played for Milwaukee during 5 seasons. I knew that Gorman was traded shortly after 1982, but I also knew that he came back and played with the Brewers again..and I was thinking that he was traded again (this time for Manning). Obviously, I was wrong. Thanks for the correction! The one thing about that day that I definitely know is true is that it rained almost all day before the game. I know this because I was bringing a date to the game (a date I was really really looking forward to) and I was worried that things were going to get called off. I spent the entire day watching the local "radar" channel (not nearly what is available today) on cable.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Archived