Brewer Fanatic

A catcher that can throw that we're familiar with

It is becoming increasingly clear that although he's has some nice skills offensively, Kottaras is a defensive liability in that runners are stealing at will with him behind the plate. Lucroy has thrown out a decent percentage in the minors, but still could use a little work and isn't going to progress playing 1 or 2 times a week and it's obvious that Macha hasn't the confidence to play him more.

Catching is such a hard position to fill that the same names of bad players keep resurfacing with major league jobs. Guys like Corky Miller, Chad Moeller etc, keep finding jobs.

I'll throw a name out there of a guy who was Brewer property for 7 seasons, and was known more for his defense than his bat, but who's currently having a fine offensive season at AAA (.285/.318/.528) and was just named the Pacific Coast League player of the week.

That's none other than Mr. 1,000 himself, Carlos Corporan. While Corporan's never been known for a potent bat, throughout his career, he's improved significantly each time he's repeated a level: low A: first year: .560 OPS, 2nd year: .680; high A: first year .672, 2nd year .975; AA: first year: .577, 2nd year: .777. In AAA, he slipped in his 2nd year but has rebounded now in his 3rd season at that level.

He's still just 26.

I can't imagine it would take much to get him back.

Yeah, I'm more concerned about Kottaras and his absolutely atrocious ability to block balls whatsoever.

He looks as bad doing that as any catcher we've had in some time here.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

+1

....and Kottaras shows NO leadership

....the catcher, as the captain of the infield, needs to yell which base to make the throw to.... a recent game still grates at me when McGhee fielded a bunt and with his back to base wheels & throws to 2B and everyone is safe: Kottaras MUST direct McGhee on that play to get the sure out at 1B

....and I agree he's horrible at blocking balls in the dirt

+1

....and Kottaras shows NO leadership

....the catcher, as the captain of the infield, needs to yell which base to make the throw to.... a recent game still grates at me when McGhee fielded a bunt and with his back to base wheels & throws to 2B and everyone is safe: Kottaras MUST direct McGhee on that play to get the sure out at 1B

....and I agree he's horrible at blocking balls in the dirt

I agree completely that a catcher needs to be a leader and do the things you talk about. I can't possibly make an informed judgment about how much of that he shows and he doesn't however. What you're describing would definitely fall at the feet of the catcher, and I agree that it is his responsibility, but you're talking about one play of thousands in a season, and you're trying to quantify leadership from a fans perspective, a trait that takes place by in large out of our purview of fans.

I said in another thread that catcher's the one position, the one in baseball where I can see a good case being made for bringing up a good prospect and NOT playing him everyday as there is so much more learning and development needed at catcher to understand the game, handle a pitching staff, and, like you said, being a leader on the field.

I really like Kottaras offensively, and he's young enough for a catcher that I see him as a nice part of our future as a cheap backup for a while, but Lucroy has just been so much better than him.

For a guy who struggles defensively according to reports, I think he's looked great. Still not there blocking the balls, but he looks good. Takes a lot of the sting out of Salome's unfortunate issues.

Injuries aside, I think we've got our starter and our backup for the foreseeable future.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Archived