Brewer Fanatic

Minor League Transactions

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Just awful news -- the Huntsville Times is reporting that 2009 Organizational Player of the Year CF Logan Schafer, currently with Brevard County, fractured a bone in his foot and will be out for the season. He left Monday's game after grounding into a double play.

What a lost season -- surely for Logan, and in many ways, for the organization.

Schafer hasn't even been placed officially on the Brevard DL yet -- look for that soon, obviously.

For discussion purposes, please comment here.

Of course, we'll have to await news on Caleb Gindl, who left last night's game after being injured while in right field. It just keeps getting better and better, huh?

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Wright State University catcher signed as undrafted free agentLink while active, text follows:

Michael Leonard, Sports Editor (Twinsburg, OH Bulletin)

Two key members of the Twinsburg high school baseball team which made a historic run to the Division I state final four in 2006 are about to get another chance to make a big splash.

And this time, it just might land them in a Major League Baseball uniform.

Gerald Ogrinc signed a free-agent contract with the Milwaukee Brewers June 14, while Aaron Swenson was expected to sign a free-agent contract June 16 with the Baltimore Orioles.

Both players were expected to be assigned to their teams' respective Rookie League affiliates -- Ogrinc will play for the Arizona League Brewers, while Swenson will play for the Gulf Coast League Orioles in Florida.

Ogrinc spent the last four years catching at Wright State University, while Swenson was a pitcher at Youngstown State University.

Twinsburg baseball coach Don Jones said he got the news June 15 about his two former protégés. He's ecstatic both will have a shot to prove their worth professionally.

"They are just class young men," Jones said. "In 2006 when we made that run, we always said that good things happen to good people. They are two great young men and good things are happening."

Swenson and Ogrinc were both seniors during the Tigers' state run in 2006, which saw the Tigers reach states in Division I for the first time.

The Tigers bowed out in the state semifinal game to Olentangy Lewis Center. Swenson was Twinsburg's starting pitcher in the that game, while Ogrinc started at catcher.

"They were two of our four senior leaders," Jones said. "Aaron was a workhorse for us. Gerald was the absolute best catcher I've seen in high school in 23 years."

Jones said the only surprise he had with Ogrinc and Swenson making the pros was how long it took for them to get there.

"I was a little surprised that they signed free-agent contracts," Jones said. "I thought they'd be drafted last week. As good as those two young men were in high school, we knew what they were capable of. We were waiting for it to happen and it finally happened."

Ogrinc was not able to be reached for comment by press time.

Ogrinc has had an excellent career at Wright State, as he was named first-team All-Horizon League each of the last two seasons. This season, Ogrinc hit .337 with four home runs and 31 RBIs in 52 starts and .978 fielding percentage. He helped the Raiders win the regular-season title in the Horizon League, before bowing out to Milwaukee in the Horizon League championship series.

Wright State Site: Gerard Ogrinc Player Profile

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Could this year get any worse?
...the Huntsville Times is reporting that 2009 Organizational Player of the

Year CF

Logan Schafer, currently with Brevard County,

fractured a bone in his foot and will be out for the season.

Of course, we'll have to await news on Caleb Gindl, who left last

night's game after being injured while in right field.

Shame on you twobrew!

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Another non-drafted free agent signs --

Danville, VA Newspaper report:

Reggie Keen signs minor-league deal with Brewers

Former George Washington High standout Reggie Keen, who just completed his senior season at Radford University, has signed a free-agent deal with the Milwaukee Brewers.

Keen will report to the Helena (Mont.) Brewers, Milwaukee’s rookie-level affiliate in the Pioneer League. Helena is scheduled to begin its season June 21.

A second-team all-Big South selection, Keen finished the season hitting .353 and had career-highs of six homers, 49 RBIs and 31 stolen bases. He finished his career with a .355 average, the fourth-best in school history. Keen was named Big South Player of the Week on April 26 and was the first player in Radford program history to steal 30 bases in a season.

OF Reggie Keen Player Profile Page from the Radford University Site

Disappointing but not unexpected, good luck Mike.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I met Mike in person not too long after he was drafted, I think circa 2002, and he seemed like a really nice guy with a great personality. Too bad the injuries took him so far off the track to the Majors. Best wishes to him going forward.

You wonder if Jones had asked for this, or if he had a clause that he would be released under certain conditions. This is odd time for a release -- he had been doing OK in AAA, and it's not like we have extra pitching that we can just release guys for the sake of it.

yeah I struggle with this one. The Crew has one of the worst orgs for pitching and we cant hang onto a first rounder that is pitching sub-1.00 ERA in AAA? I get he's no spring chicken, but..

Again, I think this came from Mike Jones -- his track record with the organization has been sketchy -- wasn't he 'called out' by Nichols or Melvin for complaining of pain, where they said (I'm paraphrasing) 'you're going to have pain if you had an injury and surgery'. Now he is strictly bullpen, and guys off the street are spot starting ahead of you. At least Doug & Co. is good about letting guys get a chance elsewhere. Again pure speculation.

Provisional Member

Sorry everyone, but word from the family. This release did not come from Jones. He gave 100% to the Brewers the past 9 years, the club just stopped giving him innings. I am sure we will see Jones playing with one of the other 29 clubs, along with all the other talent that has come and gone through the Brewers Club. Good luck Mike Jones

That's a disappointing decision -- this organization should not be in the habit of releasing pitching prospects of any sort. Best of luck to Mike. He deserves to get a chance to pitch in the majors.

Kind of disappointing to hear; but on the other hand, how many former starters converted to relievers does this organization really need on hand at this point? At least this way he has a chance to catch on with another team and possibly make the majors yet.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I'm dumbfounded by the move. They give him the promotion to AAA and he was getting guys out, what more do they want? There is so much thrash for pitchers in our system so lets cut ties with the most loyal, hard working individual in our system because he has a .71 ERA and has walk one to many guys..... Even if he tops out at 91, that in the eyes of DM is a must have flame thrower. I have been pulling for Jones for a long long time and it is a shame that he was going out out there, playing well and have the club acted so irrationally. There is no way he is the worse pitcher in AAA.

Best of luck Mike, hope you get to a team that gives you a fair opportunity and you FINALLY get the chance to play in the majors. No one deserves it more than you. Also I will have a very nice grin if you get a chance to pitch against the Brewers and shut them down. They deserve it it for such a classless midseason, undeserved action

I'm dumbfounded by the move. They give him the promotion to AAA and he was getting guys out, what more do they want? T
12.2 innings pitched with 12 walks and 8 hits isnt exactly getting guys out. He is just a guy, which sucks for a former #1 pick. Maybe a change of scenery will do him well. That may sound cold, but that is professional sports. I would imagine that the influx of college pitchers that have been added to the system are going to push out a bunch of stagnate veterans of the Brewer's system.

Best of luck Mike, hope you get to a team that gives you a fair opportunity and you FINALLY get the chance to play in the majors. No one deserves it more than you. Also I will have a very nice grin if you get a chance to pitch against the Brewers and shut them down. They deserve it it for such a classless midseason, undeserved action

Sometimes letting a guy have a change of scenery is a classy thing to do. Mike had not shown enough to warrant consideration for the majors. A AAA WHIP in the 1's is not good at all. Hopefully, he latches on with a team, but there is nothing classless about this move. The team does not have bullpen depth and they need guys in AAA who can come up and pitch and Mike's results at AAA do not look to translate well at all

Also I will have a very nice grin if you get a chance to pitch against the Brewers and shut them down. They deserve it it for such a classless midseason, undeserved action

That is just crazy talk. 13/6 walk/k ratio more than trumps the ERA.... the Josh Romanski decision....now there is a move that deserves some more attention

I agree to the Romanski thing Molitor Fan, but I also feel for Jones. I really hope he gets to the big leagues one day to make some money. I feel bad for the organizational organizational soldier types. Plus, Jones had regained velocity. The command had not really come around from what we've read. Best of luck Mike. It still gave me pleasure following your career and seeing your name in the boxscores. I hope you get a cup of coffee...or more!

Archived