Brewer Fanatic

Minor League Transactions

This further solidifies my belief that they made a paperwork error when assigning our K. Davis's. Khris was supposed to be A+ and Kentrail was supposed to be A, but they goofed it and didn't want to say anthing. Getting it fixed now.

The whole confidence, and pitching with conviction idea with Arnett is probably set back for the rest of the season now. What would Arnett have to do to get back to WI this year?

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The whole confidence, and pitching with conviction idea with Arnett is probably set back for the rest of the season now. What would Arnett have to do to get back to WI this year?

Buy a plane ticket would be my guess. This is very discouraging for a guy who was supposed to be on the fast track.

I was glad to see Tom Haudricourt stating what I've said. Davis' OBP is very good, indicating that he hasn't struggled that much. Having said that, it might benefit him to put up some huge numbers in Wisconsin

What is going on with 40th Rd pick Scott Matyas is he going to sign or go back to Minnesota? He went to my High School

Oh and I wanted to share Eric Arnett's favorite quote from his facebook page...Yikes

"WE ARE THE BEST KIND OF PEOPLE IN THE WORLD. WE ARE THE COCKIEST, DIRTIEST, MOST IRRESPONSIBLE GROUP OF ATHLETES IN THE UNIVERSE. WE WILL BOOZE AT LEAST 3 TIMES A WEEK AND PRETEND WE ARE STILL DEDICATED. WE'RE NOT AFRAID TO LIVE THE DREAM UNTIL WE'RE 35 AND THEN REALIZE WE NEVER MADE IT ANYWHERE. LADIES LOVE US. GUYS WANT TO BE US. WE ARE THE SOUL OF THE UNIVERSE. WE ARE BASEBALL PLAYERS."

Via McCalvy, Gord Ash on the demotions:

"I don't think there's any question that [Arnett] is a personality who

is trying to live up to the reputation of being a No. 1 Draft pick,"

Brewers assistant general manager Gord Ash said. "Having to deal with

the spotlight and the expectation, that's something that I don't think

he's really comfortable with.

"This will give him a nice break ... even though everyone, and I mean

everyone, from the clubhouse men to the bus driver to the general

manager, have told him to relax and just have some fun. We'll get him a

break, get him energized, and get him back where he should be."

Arnett, a hard thrower at Indiana University, worked with diminished

velocity in most of his outings this year and allowed 11 home runs in 56

1/3 innings while opponents hit him at a .298 clip, including .340 by

right-handed batters. He last pitched on Saturday against Dayton and

allowed seven runs, only three of them earned, on nine hits in 5 2/3

innings.

Arnett's velocity "is selectively down," Ash said. "If you look at the

game reports, there are pitches that he throws with the same kind of

velocity that out scouts saw in college. He just doesn't do it

consistently, for whatever reason. There have been 94[-mph pitches] on

the game reports."

The Brewers also demoted their second pick in last year's Draft.

Outfielder Kentrail Davis, selected in the supplemental first round out

of the University of Tennessee, 39th overall, was transferred one step

down from Class A Brevard County to Wisconsin.

"He has struggled with health, staying healthy with his legs," Ash said.

"[Farm director Reid Nichols'] thinking was trying to get him in a

little cooler weather without the heat and humidity. See if that makes

any difference."

Dexter Bobo has to be one of the better baseball names I've heard in quite a while.

I agree. I was hoping Chorye Spoone ( P-Orioles) was pronoucned Chor Ray Spoon Aye, but its Cory Spoon.

Two #1 picks going in the wrong direction. The future isnt looking too bright my friends.
Kentrail Davis has looked alright given where he's playing. That move doesn't make sense production wise as he was struggling a bit, but he wasn't over matched.

And while Arnett looks...terrible, Heckathorn looks much better than expected.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Brewer Fanatic Staff
The Brewers signed RHP Marty McLeary (majors/minors) to fill out Nashville's staff.

Looks like MiLB is going to let the Sounds play some games with their roster given the two doubleheaders this week. LHP Sam Narron, who recently took his turn, has been placed on the Temprary Inactive List.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
LSUReveille.comBy Michael Lambert, Contributing Writer

LSU junior pitcher Austin Ross was starting to look like the sure-fire ace for the Tigers next season.

Ross was a consistent starter for two seasons and ended the 2010 campaign on a hot streak, throwing a solid outing against Vanderbilt in the Southeastern Conference tournament and leading LSU to a regional win against UC Irvine.

But the Milwaukee Brewers came calling June 8 in the eighth round of the MLB draft.

Ross was initially uncertain of his future, but he ended up signing a contract with the Brewers on Monday, choosing to forego his senior season with LSU.

“We are sad to see him go because we would have liked him to have had another year here,” said LSU coach Paul Mainieri. “I can’t stand in his way, though. He’s fulfilling his dream with an outstanding opportunity, and I can’t blame him.”

The same hot streak that gave Ross a chance to be next season’s Friday night starter may have swayed his choice to leave Baton Rouge.

“I definitely think it helped,” Ross said. “Anytime you throw well and throw well for an extended period of time ... that helped me.”

Ross went eight innings with seven strikeouts in the SEC Tournament against Vanderbilt, only giving up four earned runs.

Ross had a similar outing May 21 against Mississippi State in the last series of the regular season. He allowed three earned runs in seven innings of work, striking out eight.

“He gave us hope at the end,” Mainieri said. “He stayed away from that big inning and that allowed him to be a much more effective starting pitcher for us.”

Ross said he was satisfied with being drafted in the eighth round.

“I didn’t want to go into it expecting something to happen and then be disappointed if it didn’t,” Ross said.

Ross has been a staple in the LSU pitching rotation since coming out of Captain Shreve High School in Shreveport.

Ross appeared in 21 games his freshman season and started 17 games during the 2009 National Championship season.

“Austin was a very reliable starting pitcher for us,” Mainieri said. “You knew what you were going to get out of him. He did a lot of good things.”

Ross finished this season with a 5-4 record and a 5.22 ERA with a team-high 98 strikeouts.

“He has to be very proud of his career here,” Mainieri said.

What is going on with 40th Rd pick Scott Matyas is he going to sign or go back to Minnesota? He went to my High School

Oh and I wanted to share Eric Arnett's favorite quote from his facebook page...Yikes

"WE ARE THE BEST KIND OF PEOPLE IN THE WORLD. WE ARE THE COCKIEST, DIRTIEST, MOST IRRESPONSIBLE GROUP OF ATHLETES IN THE UNIVERSE. WE WILL BOOZE AT LEAST 3 TIMES A WEEK AND PRETEND WE ARE STILL DEDICATED. WE'RE NOT AFRAID TO LIVE THE DREAM UNTIL WE'RE 35 AND THEN REALIZE WE NEVER MADE IT ANYWHERE. LADIES LOVE US. GUYS WANT TO BE US. WE ARE THE SOUL OF THE UNIVERSE. WE ARE BASEBALL PLAYERS."

Isn't that a Costner quote from Bull Durham ?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I am not worried at all and actually excited for the call down. Davis was on fire and an injury threw him off a bit. I didn't know he got drilled that many times though... good info Tedaldtada. That is just a rediculious amount! I see the midwest as a great place for an advanced hitter like him to get started up.

No reason what so ever a fan should be disappointed in Kentrail or down on him... I will take a .390 OBP almost any day of the week and yeah he has had a really bad month, month and a half but if he gets back to 100% health I don't see why he can't get back to where he was at.

As for Arnett (I do believe the quote was Bull Durham) I wasn't high on the pick and never expected him to be a star but I hope he would be a little better than this. Hopefully he can go down to Arizona, clear his head, and just throw. Can't go out and pitch worrying about letting everyone down every pitch, have fun, relax, and remember you pitch because you love to not because you have to. Once that attitude gets in your mind, your finished

Brewer Fanatic Staff
I didn't know he got drilled that many times though... good info Tedaldtada. That is just a ridiculous amount!

It was in blue, so there was exaggeration there. Davis has been hit ten times on the season (150 plate appearances, 123 AB's).

If we can, direct additional discussion to various team threads, and we'll keep this thread to the formal transaction updates when possible, thanks to all.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Nashville Media Notes:

McLEARY SIGNED BY MILWAUKEE: Right-handed pitcher Marty McLeary was signed by Milwaukee yesterday and will start game two of tonight’s doubleheader. He opened the year in the Toronto Blue Jays organization, posting a 1-6 record and 10.85 ERA (45 ER / 37.1 IP) in 12 games (eight starts) between Double-A New Hampshire and Triple-A Las Vegas before being released on June 9. McLeary replaces left-hander Sam Narron on the roster, who was placed on the temporary inactive list yesterday.

McCLENDON PLACED ON D.L., BRUNEY TO NASHVILLE: Right-hander Mike McClendon was placed on the D.L retro to June 13. To replace McClendon on the Nashville roster, right-hander Brian Bruney joins the Sounds for tonight’s games. Bruney signed a minor league contract with the Brewers organization on June 2 and spent two weeks on the rookie-level Helena roster. He opened 2010 with the Washington Nationals, posting a 1-2 record and 7.64 ERA (15 ER / 17.2 IP) in 19 relief outings before being released on May 17.

Per TH,

The Brewers have signed three more selections from the June draft, including fourth-rounder Hunter Morris, a first baseman out of Auburn. Morris was assigned to low Class A Wisconsin.

The Brewers also signed eighth-rounder Austin Ross [whom we knew about already], a right-hander from LSU, and ninth-rounder Yadiel Rivera, a shortstop from Caguas, Puerto Rico.

Interesting that Morris goes to Wisconsin right away. With Kentrail Davis and Morris added, seems like Kris Davis, D'Vo, and Ke. Davis round out that outfield, with Dennis the odd man out for the time being, pending more moves.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Huntsville Media Release:

LHP Casey Baron has been activated from the disabled list. Baron was placed on the DL back on May 26. In 11 appearances for the Stars in 2010 covering 16 innings, Baron is 1-0 with a 6.75 ERA. He has walked nine batters and struck out 13.

This move puts the Stars active roster at the Southern League limit of 24.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

The Brewers have placed RHP Evan Anundsen back on the disabled list at Brevard County after only one start. Diagnosed with 'shoulder soreness' in spring training, it was a longer road back than expected for Anundsen, and now this. Hopefully just a bump in the road. Drafted in the 4th round in 2006, Anundsen had never been on the DL until this spring -- having spent exactly one season at each rung of the Brewers' chain; Anundsen was the poster child on how to properly guide a high school starter through the system.

Taking his spot on the Manatee staff is Ruben "Buddy" Flores, back off the DL.

I always like the shoulder soreness and elbow tendinitis diagnosis we get for our minor leaguers... cause they never end up more serious.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Archived