Brewer Fanatic

Hawkins activated, Villanueva optioned to AAA (Post # 31)

battlekow
Hawkins could be back this week. I really don't know what the Brewers are going to do to make a spot for him.

Villenueva has only had 5 apperances in July. I thought he might be an option to go down, but I thought there was discussion that he would have to clear through revocable waivers first.

Villanueva has an option remaining so I believe the Brewers can send him down and I think Braddock maybe sent to the DL.

I thought I read on McCalvy's/Schelling's blog that Braddock should be available tomorrow night.

Lefty Zach Braddock -- who threw a bullpen session Sunday morning -- was unavailable as he has been for the past few days to get some extra rest.

Braddock's velocity was done in his last outing on Monday in Pittsburgh, but after a good bullpen session Sunday, he is expected to be available again on Monday.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Braddock's velocity was done in his last outing on Monday in Pittsburgh, but after a good bullpen session Sunday, he is expected to be available again on Monday, to be immediately followed by a surprisingly long period on the disabled list.

Fixed. And it's sad that I think I'm only partially kidding.

McCalvy just tweeted that the Brewers optioned RHP Carlos Villanueva to Triple-A to make room for LaTroy Hawkins. I'm guessing this will be effective Friday, but he didn't specify.

edit: Looks like crewcrazy beat me to it. If Hawkins can pitch like he did earlier in the year, it would help. It has been a weird season for Villa. At least it took until the end of July for him to be the odd man out. Coming out of ST it was basically a foregone conclusion he'd be going to AAA, but at the last minute someone got injured, keeping him on the roster. Then he became the interim closer, lost the job to Axford, and the rest is history.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

Haudricourt was just on 540 AM around 5:20 and said Macha expected Hawkins to be activited on Saturday around 3:00 so the Brewers would have the option of exploring trades until they activited Hawkins.

Odd that they seemingly rushed the decision...

The bullpen has been gassed, and Hawkins is fresh. The unfortunate part is that Macha will probably go to him so often his arm will be toast in a few weeks again, anyway. I'm guessing they made the decision now since there's an off day and there is no reason to have Carlos travel with the team if he's going to AAA.

This move appears to put the 40-man back to a full 40, but with Estrada and Zaun on the 15 day DL, it would be easy enough to transfer either of those guys to the 60-day if needed.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

Haudricourt was just on 540 AM around 5:20 and said Macha expected Hawkins to be activited on Saturday around 3:00 so the Brewers would have the option of exploring trades until they activited Hawkins.
So does that mean the Brewers are yet one more body short on their 25-man roster for Friday? (i.e. no Hawkins yet and Villa's in AAA already)
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Sorry for the confusion.

Haudricourt reported that he asked Macha when Hawkins would be activitated. Macha basically said it would likely occur on Saturday. Haudricourt then went on to talk about how the Brewers were probably looking to trade a bullpen arm instead of sending someone down.

Since then, apparently, the Brewers decided they couldn't wait and have already activated Hawkins - sending Villanueva down.

Villanueva's career has been marred by these stretches that are either dominant or pathetic. It's seemed that each season he's gone through 1-2 stretches in which he's surrendering runs each time out

Archived