Brewer Fanatic

Hawkins activated, Villanueva optioned to AAA (Post # 31)

battlekow

At the time it was a good signing. He was healthy and had a long enough track record to think he was as safe a bet as you could get. It just turned out bad. Still time enough to make something of his time here. He may be exactly what this pen needs. A fresh veteran with an established ability to get people out might go a long way to stabilizing the pen. Kind of like a trade without having to give anyhting up.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

So basically Hawkins becomes our new Riske.

I hope Riske can pitch like we hoped for when he was signed. It's not his fault he got injured, so hopefully he can earn some of his salary during the rest of the year. I really didn't anticipate Hawkins going to the 60-day DL (I thought it would be Zaun). Hawkins' arm problems must be much worse than the "dead arm" he was first diagnosed with. Didn't the trainers say they couldn't find anything wrong with him?

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Riske was a bad signing, another blunder by Melvin. He was just a guy with average to below average stuff who had a few years with really good control and got rich. I find it painfully ironic that Melvin's long term bullpen blunder #2 replaced long term bullpen blunder #1 on the 60 day D.L. (yes, I know that two years isn't exactly long term, but good grief.... please no more multi-year contracts to setup guys).

Riske was a low-risk, decent upside signing and the guy had decent stats (like Hawkins). I don't think the team could have anticipated the injury problems in this one. All in all, it didnt cost anywhere a Looper or Suppan did

Riske was a bad signing, another blunder by Melvin. He was just a guy with average to below average stuff who had a few years with really good control and got rich. I find it painfully ironic that Melvin's long term bullpen blunder #2 replaced long term bullpen blunder #1 on the 60 day D.L. (yes, I know that two years isn't exactly long term, but good grief.... please no more multi-year contracts to setup guys).

While I agree it was another bad signing, Riske actually used to throw pretty hard and he's had spotty control issues from time to time.

Who knows when Coffey returns, but basically it appears whenever he does, it will either be Riske or Smith that goes or both assuming at some point they will get back to 12 pitchers. Frankly I wouldn't want to see Riske in anything but mop up duty.

I'm wondering if Hawkins will ever pitch again. Melvin sure was shooting fish in a barrel this year when it came to 35+ year-old players who will collect their final paycheck on his boss' dime.
I think GM's often take out insurance policies against injuries on a lot of their signings, although I'm not sure about Melvin. That would apply to Riske as well, I'd think.

We can criticize the Hawkins signing all we want, but I still think it's a mile ahead of the Riske signing. In three years before Riske came here, he posted 6.2 K/9, 2.8 BB/9, and 1.2 HR/9 with about a 40% fly ball rate. In three years before Hawkins came here, he posted 6.1 K/9, 2.7 BB/9, 0.8 HR/9 with about a 30% fly ball rate.

Both were bad signings, but Hawkins is (and was at the sign of signing) a significantly better pitcher than Riske. Despite being overpaid, Hawkins is a solid reliever and it's really too bad that he'll be out this long.

How is it that a guy has to go on the 60-day DL with "right shoulder fatigue?" Something screwy is going on here. This whole song and dance with the Brewers collective injury situation is getting rather old. I guess at this point in the season it doesn't really matter much, though.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

How does he lose 5 mph on his FB in a week? Back to back 40+ pitch outings?

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

How is it that a guy has to go on the 60-day DL with "right shoulder fatigue?"

Its called HIPAA. Frustrating as fans, but they really don't have to tell us what is really happening, if they don't want to.

Community Moderator

He was just a guy with average to below average stuff who had a few years with really good control and got rich

Riske had 5 straight years with an ERA below 4. He was signed to stabilize a bullpen that was one of the weakest parts of the team in the 2007 season. You can call it a mistake because he got injured and it hasn't worked out, but it wasn't a bad signing at the time by any stretch.

There was nothing to indicate Riske would be injured this long either. He had a pretty spotless health history, as I recall; and it seemed like a solid move at the time. Maybe a slight overpay at the time, but it really isn't one that's hurting the franchise even now. It's the fact that there's all this other dead money on the books (Suppan, Hall), that makes it painful.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I think GM's often take out insurance policies against injuries on a lot of their signings, although I'm not sure about Melvin. That would apply to Riske as well, I'd think.

Somewhere along the line, I believe it was reported that Riske's contract wasn't insured.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

• 1 month later...

Hawkins could be back this week. I really don't know what the Brewers are going to do to make a spot for him.

Villenueva has only had 5 apperances in July. I thought he might be an option to go down, but I thought there was discussion that he would have to clear through revocable waivers first.

One option would be for Bush to be traded this week, and then Hawkins could be called up to replace him. We might as well trade him, but I'm not really aware of a market for him. I think the best option for him to be traded is to be packaged with Fielder so that he is the White Sox 5th starter with Hudson+ coming back. I just don't know how likely that is.

Braddock could be sent down. That is the easiest thing to do, but he has pitched well, so that really doesn't support the message that players will create their own playing time.

The Brewers could try to trade away Riske. Heck, they could just give him away. He's going to be gone, and the Brewers are going to need to clear another spot whenever Davis is ready to return.

So, predictions, expectations, hopes? What do you think is going to happen, what do you think will happen?

Archived