Brewer Fanatic

Do we really need to rebuild?

chadomac

"Are any of those guys you listed realistically going to be available to us?"

I agree that no they probably won't, but that wasn't your point. You simply said a #2 can't be old.

So basically not old.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
logan3825]
gobrew23 wrote:

I agree that no they probably won't, but that wasn't your point. You simply said a #2 can't be old.

So basically not old.

?? I don't get what you are trying to say here.

You said a #2 couldn't be old, and I listed a handful that were 33+ years of age that clearly have the ability to be a top of the rotation starter. I never said I expect the Brewers to sign a veteran free agent to fill the need in our rotation. Just refuting your point. Age really doesn't have anything to do with a pitcher if they still have the stuff to get hitters out. I'd rather look at numerous other things before age when evaluating a pitchers ability, but apparently age is your top criteria since your answer to "So... what's your criteria for a solid #2 starter?" was "Not old".

And again you are pulling out a handful of players when the greater majority will not pitch well past the age of 32

I'd just change that to "the greater majority will not pitch as well pas the age of 32." Pitchers' talent (like everyone else) will fade with age and generally 32 is considered to be about the age it begins to fade. If someone is a great pitcher from age 30-32, there's a good chance that they will still be above average over a new 3-4 year contract, but they probably won't be as good as they were when they were younger. If someone is around average at age 30-32, there's a good chance they will be below average for the length of a new 3-4 year contract.

The problem is that the great pitchers are out of our price range, so we have to veer away from offering 3-4 year contracts to average pitchers who are already in their 30's. I didn't hate the Wolf signing, because he was above average the past couple seasons (when he wasn't hurt), we'll have money over the next couple seasons, and we had a dead zone in the rotation between the end of last season through the end of Wolf's contract where he should be one of the best five pitchers on the Brewers. His start has been rough, but he should get better.

That said, I really don't want them to sign another contract like that, as three years from now we should have a lot of prospects ready to fill in the Brewers' rotation. The only way a free agent signing makes sense this offseason is if it is a one year deal to a pitcher who is obviously better than our other options (Parra, Narveson, Rivas, etc), or if the pitcher signed is very likely to be one of our five best pitchers 3-4 years from now. The only one I see on the FA list that fits that bill is Cliff Lee, and we probably aren't going to be able to afford him.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

So basically not old.

?? I don't get what you are trying to say here.

You said a #2 couldn't be old, and I listed a handful that were 33+ years of age that clearly have the ability to be a top of the rotation starter. I never said I expect the Brewers to sign a veteran free agent to fill the need in our rotation. Just refuting your point. Age really doesn't have anything to do with a pitcher if they still have the stuff to get hitters out. I'd rather look at numerous other things before age when evaluating a pitchers ability, but apparently age is your top criteria since your answer to "So... what's your criteria for a solid #2 starter?" was "Not old".

Sure old pitchers can pitch well but it is a thread about rebuilding our team so I am not sure how relevant it is to bring up players that we don't have access to. Of the players we do have access to the old ones are likely to be in a decline and not be a #2 by the end of the contract or the ones we would actually want to sign are going to cost to much so I will stick with "not old."

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

joepepsi]You want an All Star caliber pitcher. So does every other team. It is difficult to sign this caliber pitcher, assuming one is even available, without overpaying in both years and dollars. the Brewers have to raise this type of pitcher on the farm. Just as they did with Gallardo. Parra comes close to meeting the criteria.

That's fine, then don't spend money to replace average in Bush with more expensive and above average declining... like I said, I'm not one of these people that has to make a move or has to spend money because we can. I'd rather work at spend money as efficiently possible than doing what has been done.

Free agent pitching is not going to fix what's wrong with the Brewers.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Archived