Brewer Fanatic

Brandon Kintzler

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Given your board handle, I'm guessing congratulations are in order (you don't need to respond to that, whether family, friend, or otherwise).

The best stories are always from those that persevere, the independent leagues are always a great tie-in.

Guessing that Brandon has John Axford's number from their time in Huntsville together -- he should call the Ax-man and share the mojo and good vibes.

He's certainly pitched his way into promotion, no doubt about that.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Wow, I haven't paid a whole lot of attention to Kintzler, but his numbers have been very impressive so far this season. I'll be very interested in seeing what he can do the rest of the year.

It's completely conceivable that Kintzler will immediately be placed in the closer's role, given Chris Smith's promotion to Milwaukee. Jeff Bennett, David Johnson, don't really see other options.

Maybe Dillard? He's been more of a multiple inning guy and his ERA isn't all that impressive, but his peripherals are outstanding (WHIP of 1, K/BB rate of nearly 5, 2 HR allowed in 35 IP).

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Keith Lair/Whittier Daily News

PASADENA - Brandon Kintzler admitted Jackie Robinson Field at Brookside Park has not changed much.

"Everything looks the same," he said. "The field looks a little nicer. But they have better uniforms than we did."

The major-league pitcher was back in the stadium on Thursday, his first appearance since 2003, when he pitched for Pasadena City College.

"As much as I hated to come here, basically this is where I got found," he said. "This conference has great players and there are always scouts at games here."

Kintzler, 26, was called up by the Milwaukee Brewers in September. He threw 7.1 innings in seven games and had a 7.38 ERA. He pitched in Triple-A Nashville, Tenn., for most of 2010.

Pasadena coach Evan O'Meara invited Kintzler to throw out the first pitch before the Lancers' season-opening game against Antelope Valley on Thursday. The right-hander threw a nice soft pitch over the plate to PCC catcher Javier Estrada of Alhambra.

"I'm so excited that they have a connection to this guy," O'Meara said. "He's six, seven years older than these guys, so he has a connection there. He played here and he's their size. He look like them.

"This a professional baseball player."

Kintzler is the lone PCC alumnus on a current major league baseball 40-man roster.

At PCC, Kintzler was an All-South Coast Conference first team selection. He had a 5-3 record and 3.83 ERA in 106 innings. He struck out a team-high 72 batters and pitched two complete-game shutouts.

Archived