Brewer Fanatic

Weeks dropping throws from catchers

AJAY
Verified Member

Does anyone else feel that Rickie Weeks is dropping a lot of throws from the catcher during stolen base attempts? It seems like he is afraid of the runner sliding into him and therefore he is not reaching out to catch the ball properly. The ball always seems to hit the tip of his glove and then trickle out to centerfield. In my opinion, it's becoming a problematic pattern.

I hope the coaching staff works harder with him to fix this problem.

I think it's happened twice... ? Not sure if that's accurate. I won't disagree, though, that he's (to borrow a term from Rock) "alligator-armed" it on those two (?) plays.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Weeks has always been awful with throws when he has to cover 1st. It's always been that way. If the bunt is towards third (up the line), for some reason he leaves his left foot on the bag, leading himself right into the runners. His footwork has always been poor

I was about to say that craig.......baseball Jesus didnt allow him to catch that ball. Everyone on here is right.....Rickie has dropped a bunch of throws that a major leaguer should not drop.

But as long as Rickie hacks......and last night he hacked.......Rickie plays!

Maybe this is why Kotarras has stopped even trying to throw down there on stolen base attempts. Seems like they had a shot at Holliday last night, and the throw was never made. I've seen it quite a few times this year where the throw is not even attempted.

I don't think Kottaras is a good defensive catcher -- He doesn't know who is covering 2b in all cases -- I think Weeks has his shortcomings for sure at 2b, however Kottaras is not a fundamentally sound catcher, and I would guess that SBs are as much of his fault for bad transfer, or poor footwork than Weeks's issues. Holliday could have gotten a large jump on the pitcher, and Kottaras could have gotten a bad pitch to throw on as well.

Archived