Brewer Fanatic

Todd Coffey to the DL; Update: Activated, Smith outrighted to Nashville

Good, DL him. Enough of this having a bunch of guys around who can't play. It has been fairly ridiculous this year. Gomez, Edmonds, Hawkins amongst others.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

has to be close, it was early May and he only gets 30 days

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I believe TH mentioned earlier this week Riske's minor league rehab stint is officially over on Wednesday. My understanding is that since he's on the 60-day DL they can activate him whenever they feel like it since the 60-days are now over, provided they've got the 40-man and 25-man roster space to do it. Getting Riske back on the 40 man is as easy as transferring Zaun to the 60-day DL, but I'd be okay with Suppan being DFA, too.
"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

No way Melvin DFAs Suppan. He's going down with the ship.

Zaun to 60 day.

You've hit the nail on the head with this. Maybe Soup had a no-trade clause the first two years, and a no-DFA clause the second two years that no one was aware of.

im hoping a position player comes up on the roster, maybe locain?
Why, so he can sit on the bench with Lucroy? Let him play in AAA.

What's sad is that the only position players on the 40-man that are not on the 25-man are Salome, Luis Cruz, Mat Gamel and Lo Cain. I'm with Craigharmann that I don't want to see Gamel or Cain brought up to sit the bench. Salome is not coming to the Brewers anytime soon, so the only option I wouldn't be upset with is Cruz, who is useless with the bat, and unnecessary with Escobar, Counsell and Inglett who can all play SS. Heether might be a nice RH bat to bring up... oh, wait he's not here anymore.

Of course, on the pitching side, we have Butler, Rivas, Periard, Rogers and Scarpetta on the 40-man. The only one with a chance of helping at the MLB level this year (at least until we get into sell mode) is Butler, so our only real 40-man flexibility on the pitching side is Stetter. The corresponding move to Riske coming off the DL will probably be Zaun going to the 60-day DL, and Riske will replace Coffey on the 25-man.

Sad as it is to say, with Stern and Heether off the 40-man, I think Suppan is here for a while... at least until some of the injuries start to heal and we need 25-man space. Suppan could go away when Davis, Coffey or Hawkins comes off the DL. At that time, I'd hope Melvin would go for more 40-man flexibility, adding someone from AAA (maybe an older prospect like Chris Smith on the pitching side or Drew Anderson/Brendan Katin on the hitting side) to the 40-man.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Anybody wondering if Coffey still has a thumb left? With the way injuries have happened this year, it's been initially announced as something minor, then all of a sudden, it's huge. Or at least that's how it's seemed to me.

Now that they need two pitchers in the pen, who else comes up? Is it Stetter again? Chris Smith? Mike McClendon? Please not Jeff Bennett?
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/95784914.html

Looks like Smith.

"To replace Suppan on their roster, the Brewers are purchasing the

contract of reliever Chris Smith from Class AAA Nashville. Smith was

the closer for the Sounds, and was 2-1 with a 1.71 ERA with 16 saves."

Well, I called Suppan for Chris Smith... I was just a couple weeks off.

I think this was a move that needed to be made, not just from a talent standpoint, but also Suppan being released can help appease the fan base. I agree that Zaun will be moved to the 60-day DL to make room for Riske. At least we'll have a little more 40-man flexibility now. Smith will likely be around until either Cofffey, Davis or Hawkins are ready to come off the DL.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

McCalvy:

Reliever Todd Coffey was eligible to return from the 15-day disabled

list on Monday but was not quite ready. He is to throw a bullpen session

on Tuesday to test his bruised right thumb and, assuming that goes

well, he could make a one-inning rehabilitation appearance for Triple-A

Nashville on Thursday and be activated during the Brewers' weekend

series in Colorado.

i have no idea which player will be sent packing to make room for coffey.

assuming another pitcher isn't "conveniently" injured, the brewers will likely lose the rights to whomever they cut

i'm nearly certain that if the brewers try to remove chris capuano, chris smith or kameron loe from the roster that any of them can refuse the minor league assignment and become a free agent.

trevor hoffman could be released.

john axford could be optioned, but that's unlikely.

in order for the brewers to preserve pitching depth, it looks like zach braddock will be on the hot seat in the coming days. fortunately, he can be optioned to preserve depth.

Archived