Brewer Fanatic

I was wondering Is Braun playing Hurt?

brewmann04

His stats don't exactly say he's hurt these days. Not sure what you're getting at, brewmann.
His average was .359 when he was hit on the elbow. I know that's a small sample, but I don't think there's a question the elbow has slowed him down a bit.
An injury might be slowing him down but that .359 was unsustainable. There are no true .359 hitters in the whole league. Mauer is probably the closest though.

His discipline is basically non-existent right now. It's really frustrating to see such a talented hitter go up there & flail around like Gomez.

And his defense this season... OUCH. It's downright brutal. A friend of mine said tonight about Braun, "He's really only good at hitting, isn't he?"
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Braun's played 23 games since getting hit in the elbow. The stats are ugly:

102 plate appearances

98 at bats

9 runs scored

25 hits

7 doubles

2 HR

6 RBI

4 BB

15 K

.255 BA; .284 OBP; .388 SP

Whether it's because he's hurt or not is anyone's guess, but this is easily the worst slump of his career. 6 RBI in his last 98 AB, are you kidding me?

Braun just hasn't been getting around on pitches for a while now. I've refrained from joining this thread, but I've also long agreed that he may be suffering from a nagging injury

Just looks like a slump to me, he is swinging at tons of bad pitches, not hitting good pitches poorly.
I agree. He seems to be pressing, which players often do when they are in slumps. I did notice, though, that the last couple games he has been swinging through fastballs down the middle, but I can't imagine that it is because of his elbow since he got hit around a month ago.

Clearly we should hold onto him and every other bat possible so we can field the worst rotation possible for the next 10 years because Melvin makes all the right moves.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Clearly we should hold onto him and every other bat possible so we can field the worst rotation possible for the next 10 years because Melvin makes all the right moves.
http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif I think we've summed up the last 6 weeks of discussion pretty well! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

I don't know if he's injured or not. What I see is a player swinging at far too many pitches outside the zone, which is very un-Braun like. Tems know he's looking for a fastball to hit, so they give him one at his shoulders or off the outise corner, and he's swinging at them. Why? I don't know, I think it's a bit of over-confidence because he knows he can still hit a fastball hard at times, even when it's off the outside corner. And he could be pressing, knowing his HR/RBI numbers are down this year.

This from CBS Sportsline, via MLB.com:

Brewers OF Ryan J. Braun entered Thursday's game against the Cubs riding a month-long slump at the plate. He came into the game hitting just .234 (25 for 107) over his last 26 games. He didn't help his cause by going 0 for 4 on Thursday. Although, he did have an RBI and walk, but he left four runners on base. Some speculate that Braun might be harboring an injury since his slide began about the time he was plunked on the left elbow May 10 by Braves SP Tommy Hanson. But Braun insisted to MLB.com on Thursday that his elbow was "not a problem at all."

(Updated 06/10/2010).

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Archived