Brewer Fanatic

Parra Replaces Bush in Rotation Sunday; Bush "not pleased"

Funketown
Is Braun really that bad in the OF? I don't get to watch many games, but I thought he was pretty average in LF.
I'm sure people will disagree with me but I've been very unhappy with him, he doesn't seem to give max effort anymore, especially on balls in the corner. I've been wanting to compare his effort to Soriano for a while, but I just can't bring myself to do so because I hate the Cubs so much. He just doesn't appear to be playing with the same enthusiasm as he has in the past.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't have a problem with Braun's hustle into the corner. A hit in the corner is almost gauranteed to be a double anyways, sprinting out there and using all that energy probably won't make a lick of difference.

I do have a problem with the amount of balls he lets drop in front of him that he probably could have made an effort to catch. I don't know if isn't confident to go after them hard or what but there have been a couple "Why the heck did he not go after that" moments

Just in general, outside of Braun's first 2-3 weeks of the season; his performance has been underwhelming.

But on the topic at hand, the Brewers probably aren't going anywhere this year and their is a decent chance that Bush is on his last leg with the team. We control Parra for longer and he obviously has more upside so if it comes down to Parra or Bush in the rotation I definitely take Parra

I know what your saying Crew, I've noticed he looks lackidasical when chasing a rolling ball into the corner, I don't know if it is his running style, his being unsure of the bounce off the wall, or just lazy thinking it is a double no matter how hard he looks to be running.

I don't recall him missing playing many fly balls or letting a lot of things land out of reach because of poor jumps. Corey Hart seems to make more of these types of plays. Braun doesn't coming flying to make many sliding catches or laying out types that people look for on highlight reels so he isn't going to be considered above average but he is no Carlos Lee statue or Brady Clark, heels on the warning track and let everything land in frront him either.

I didn't see the fly ball you mentioned yesterday, but those type of plays generally ARE luck related. That's why the aren't counted as errors. I'm sure some MLB outfielder would have made the catch, but there is enough reason for the average fielder to not make the play.

So you have a stat that separates obviously bad plays and borderline bad plays. Its not a perfect measure (obviously), but its better than ignoring it IMO.

Except errors do not separate obviously bad plays from borderline plays. They separate certain misplays from certain other misplays, the classification often has little to do with that. In addition, calling errors is subject to the whims of the official scorer.

The play yesterday basically consisted of the Cubs two outfielders both standing there expecting the other one would catch the ball, it was clearly a very, very poor play. Either of them could easily have caught the ball, but no error.

Is Braun really that bad in the OF? I don't get to watch many games, but I thought he was pretty average in LF.
Maybe he's pretty average for a LF. But when you're comparing yourself to the likes of Adam Dunn and Carlos Lee that isn't saying much.

He consistently gets terrible jumps on balls, rarely changes where he's positioned based on who is up and the game situation (hence the bright green spot in LF, where the grounds crew constantly has to replace the grass he digs up) which causes him to give up way too many 2 out doubles with a guy on 1b.

I don't know. I've watched the guy a lot, from behind homeplate in the Terrace Reserved seats (honestly, best spot to watch how OF's play) and about 10% of the time he'll break the wrong way on a ball off the bat.

I just haven't seen much, if any, improvement in 3 years out there now.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I've been wanting to compare his effort to Soriano for a while, but I just can't bring myself to do so because I hate the Cubs so much.

I know what you mean, but this (hopping aside) is actually a pretty good comparison, sadly.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Braun cost the team a run tonight, when he didn't get behind a high fly ball and lazily lobbed it back into the IF from LF and Kinsler tagged to go from first to second. Ended up scoring the 4th run on a weak single up the middle.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I didn't get to watch the game tonight, so can someone not named Anthony Witrado give me a recap of Parra's performance? His line for the night looks pretty good, which would be back-to-back good outings for Manny.

He nibbled a bit in the first and got into trouble having to come over the plate in obvious situations, the he pitched well till he left that pitch up to Hamilton that got crushed. He did his usual when he starts to get tired but got out of it.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I didn't get to watch the game tonight, so can someone not named Anthony Witrado give me a recap of Parra's performance? His line for the night looks pretty good, which would be back-to-back good outings for Manny.

I thought he pitched very well. He struggled a bit in the first inning, but there was also an infield single involved. He was downright dominant in innings 2-5, retiring 12 out of the 13 batters he faced. He was striking out batters and looked over-powering to me. There was an at-bat with Hamilton where he blew a fastball by him on the inner-half. It was impressive.

As his pitch count neared 100, he began to struggle with his command a little (which was to be expected due to the fact that he was buried in the bullpen for the first 6 weeks of the season). Contrary to Anthony Witrado's generalizations though, he didn't "lose it" and was able to battle through the inning.

A very impressive and encouraging performance, in my opinion.

Parra's starting to become a bright spot. I hope they have the good sense to keep him starting. He's looking like a solid middle-of-the-rotation guy. He's been their second best starter the last few weeks. If Wolf can get it together, this rotation may not be beyond hope the next couple of years.

I was once again impressed with Parra. Gave up 2 in the first but the pitch he threw to Smoak that got the Rangers those 2 runs was not a bad pitch at all. 3 runs in 6 innings, I would take that anytime. Hopefully he keep building on these last two starts.

And the fact that he battled back in the 6th after getting into a bit of trouble to get out of that inning without any damage I think says something.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I love Manny Parra's incorporation of the Rick Peterson/Oakland A's pitching motion. If you haven't noticed, he and Gallardo are both doing the classic A's "big 3" where they raise their hands at the same time they raise the knee. It's supposed to be a timing thing. I'm glad Manny dropped the Cal Eldred-style over-the-head windup

On the broadcast today, they mentioned that Doug Davis should be rejoining the rotation soon -- after about 2 rehab starts.

If Parra or Narveson get moved back into the bullpen to make room for Davis, I won't be attending another Brewer game this year. In fact, I might not even watch. How Melvin/Macha handle the rotation for the rest of the year will really illustrate whether or not they've learned anything, and if this organization has any chance of moving in the right direction.

On the broadcast today, they mentioned that Doug Davis should be rejoining the rotation soon -- after about 2 rehab starts.

If Parra or Narveson get moved back into the bullpen to make room for Davis, I won't be attending another Brewer game this year. In fact, I might not even watch. How Melvin/Macha handle the rotation for the rest of the year will really illustrate whether or not they've learned anything, and if this organization has any chance of moving in the right direction.

Well said, it is going to be very interesting what they do with Davis when he returns. Or even Capuano for that matter. I don't think you can move Parra or Narveson to the pen, they are pitching well right now and are young and part of the future. Honestly Wolf is pitching the worst but there is no way he comes out. I also think Bush has pitched okay and he is your only other RHP so you can't really pull him.

Also Coffey and Hawkins should be back soon. That should also be interesting at what roster moves are made for them.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

• 2 weeks later...

Watching Manny Parra match Francisco Liriano tonight was pretty cool -- kinda put his recent success in perspective a bit for me. While I understand that 4 starts is a miniscule sample, this is the Manny Parra the believers have been waiting to see. Over these 4 starts, he boasts an ERA of 3.52, K/9 of 11.4, BB/9 of 3.5, and WHIP of 1.35. 7 of his 9 walks allowed came in the first two of these four starts, in which he was obviously still getting stretched out.

Maybe this is some kind of confirmation bias on my part, but I'm personally done worrying about how Manny will pitch on any given night. I understand that three of these four starts I'm citing have come against teams that either haven't seen him, or have seen very little of him (TEX, COL, MIN), but I think we have a legit #2 on our hands now. I'm really looking forward to what he & Yo can do together the rest of the way.

7 of his 9 walks allowed came in the first two of these four starts, in which he was obviously still getting stretched out.
And 5 of those walks came in his last inning of work in his first two starts when he was quite obviously (to everyone except Macha) tired from not being stretched out.

but I'm personally done worrying about how Manny will pitch on any given night.

I'm not. I'm terrified that if he has 2 poor starts in a row he'll get pulled from the rotation.

Touché. Ken Macha is always lurking.

but I'm personally done worrying about how Manny will pitch on any given night.

I'm not. I'm terrified that if he has 2 poor starts in a row he'll get pulled from the rotation.

Touché. Ken Macha is always lurking.

And more importantly, Melvin lurking behind him waiting for an opportunity to jam Doug Davis back into the rotation.

Archived