Brewer Fanatic

Infielder Adam Heether lost on waivers to Oakland; Gamel activated to the 40-man and optioned to Nashville

Diskono

The only logical reasons to keep Suppan over anyone is that Suppan is already paid and/or we don't want to start the MLB clock on some prospect.

By being paid, I mean that if we had to bring another player up from the minors to the 25 man roster that wasn't already under a MLB contract, that would cost the Brewers the difference between the MLB minimum ($400K?) versus whatever the player was making in the minors. Now guys like Riske (when he comes back) are already on a MLB contract so that wouldn't apply to him.

As for the clock issue, that applies when we are talking 25 man roster, which if Suppan was DFAd you just have to make sure you aren't bring up a "Braun" too early. There aren't that many bodies in the higher minors that may be so good (that aren't already on the 25 man roster) you want to make sure that you are meticulous on their MLB days (Cain?).

So to me it looks like the Brewers decided it was better to the team as a whole to lose Heether than pay Suppan's replacement on the 25 man roster that couple of hundred thousand difference for the rest of the year. $200,000 isn't anything to sneeze at - I would take it. Just hope they spend it well.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't quite figure out why everyone wants Suppan off the roster so badly but I don't see anyone screaming for Hoffman to be gone?

Hoffman has gotten batters out recently, Suppan hasn't.

edit: Before we get too upset about this, we should wait and see what the other related moves are when guys have to come off the DL. If Suppan being DFA'd ends up being one of them, this doesn't really matter much, and Heether was going to be one of the odd men out anyway. If Suppan does make it through all of this somehow, then yeah, I'll be upset.

I know nobody really likes Suppan but I have to agree it is a stretch to blame him for Heether being waived. Heether was one of many infielders in the system and was unlikely to contribute much if anything at the MLB level for us. Now he might get a chance with another team. This is probably a much better situation for him than if he had been stuck with us. Now if we lose a pitcher to waivers then by all means, heap the blame on Suppan.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Truth is, he was buried in the organization, but it's just as true that Melvin needs to learn from his own successes. Give a guy a chance, especially when he's cheap because you may catch lightning in a bottle ala Axford, McGehee, etc.

Isn't it telling that an organization who is building from within, takes chances with guys like McGehee etc., and has a GM who has been successful with finding those diamonds in the rough decided Heether wasn't worth keeping? TO me it either says Melvin is wrong on Heether or he doesn't think he is ever going to be a McGehee. Personally I'll trust to Doug still being sane and his ability to see hidden talent...or the lack thereof.

The only logical reasons to keep Suppan over anyone is that Suppan is already paid and/or we don't want to start the MLB clock on some prospect.

By being paid, I mean that if we had to bring another player up from the minors to the 25 man roster that wasn't already under a MLB contract, that would cost the Brewers the difference between the MLB minimum ($400K?) versus whatever the player was making in the minors. Now guys like Riske (when he comes back) are already on a MLB contract so that wouldn't apply to him.

I've been saying that for quite some time now. If we are going to lose why pay more in service time and money than we have to? Getting Soup level production at 12 million is better than getting Soup level production at 12.5 million.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I know nobody really likes Suppan but I have to agree it is a stretch to blame him for Heether being waived.
Correct.....it's Gamel's fault! :-) But seriously, good luck to Adam, and hopefully he gets the call to Oakland soon.

Overall, I think the Brew Crew treated Heether pretty well. They gave

him lots of ABs over the years.

I disagree a bit. Heether earned a September call-up last year and at least a chance to see what it was like to play in the big leagues. The Brewers in September had nothing to play for and only called up like 4 or 5 guys. I thought it was real classless not to call him up last season.

I also think it's pathetic....yes pathetic....that Jeff Suppan is still on the roster. Any excuse you can come up for that (they don't want to pay all that money for no production, don't want to begin service time on someone, etc) shows that the team isn't serious about winning. It started when Macha put him in the rotation when he clearly didn't earn it and it continues for each and every player that they have to put through waivers. I am very quickly losing faith in the front office just like I lost faith in Macha last season. Maybe at their stupid little pow-wow they can figure out who is going to take their jobs next season.

Soup will be gone when Riske is activated on Wednesday, so everyone can stop complaining.

Or they'll put Zaun on the 60-day, or they'll try to "sneak" Cruz or Stetter through waivers. This season is making me pretty cynical.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived