Brewer Fanatic

2010-06-03 Brewers (Capuano) at Marlins (Johnson), 6:10 PM CDT [Cappy's Return, Brewers lose, 3-2]

The Marlins' AT&T trivia question was "Who are the only two Brewers to start an All-Star game". The answer was Robin Yount and Ryan Braun. I guess they've forgotten about Sheets as well.
The question was "Who are the only two Brewers to start in consecutive All-Star games."

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Weeks sends it to deep left field! Did he get enough?" (Voice continues to build with excitement)

Ball is about 10 feet short of the warning track. I can't stand his calls.

"Weeks sends it to deep left field! Did he get enough?" (Voice continues to build with excitement)

Ball is about 10 feet short of the warning track. I can't stand his calls.

Well he was tricked into believing it would happen by Bill just seconds before.

And then Bill lets us know it was a fastball down the middle he just missed (actually a mistake slider).

And both times Dave Bush scored on homeruns after pinch hitting for Inglett? Both by Weeks. How did he not mention that?

I tend to like Rock a lot more than BA, but he's been really off this series. Must be hitting South Beach after the games.

Why the hell did Braun let that ball drop? That's the second time he's done that in the last of couple of weeks, man is that irritating.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

As far as Lawrie is concerned, he's getting better with each month, and has the following line over the last 10 games, not including a 2 for 3 effort so far today.

.300/.333/.500/.833

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Am I the only one here that is really starting to worry about Lawrie? I know he's only 20, but he has really struggled in Huntsville.
A .262/.332/.437/.769 line from the second youngest player in AA is fine.
The slash line looks fine. I'm more worried about his 57:21 K:BB ratio and that his line is fueled by a .349 BABIP. I don't know how accurate it is, but minorleaguesplits lists his LD% is 5.3%, which almost seems like a typo (for reference, according to the same site, Wheeler's LD% is 10.3, Gamel's in 2008 was 20.1, and Green's from this season is 10.6. Again, I don't know how accurate that is, but even if whatever system they have is extremely conservative in ruling line drives, there is reason to worry at that percentage, unless it is either an error or there is reason to believe that for some reason the scorers have depressed his LD% further than they should have.

Did you look at Lo Cain's LD% while you were there? It's incredibly low as well, and he's having a tremendous season, there appear to be some inconsistencies in the data.

- Plato

- Plato

Did you look at Lo Cain's LD% while you were there? It's incredibly low as well, and he's having a tremendous season, there appear to be some inconsistencies in the data.
Cain's is 10.3%. I do think there probably is some difference between the way the data are recorded at minorleaguesplits and the way they're recorded at the major league level, given all of the absurdly low LD percentages. Even taken with a grain of salt, it worries me.

Wow I could have sworn it was much lower than that just 2 days ago when I was there looking at splits. Unless I was looking at a split percentage and not the overall? My bad.

- Plato

- Plato

It's games like tonight that convince me that this is going to be a bad season for the Brewers. Not just disappointing, but bad. Possibly 95-loss bad. They just don't have wins in them, and 95 losses is the pace they're on now.

Happy for Cappy, but that's about it. It already feels like the vast majority of the Septembers that Brewers have played out over the past 25 years.

How 'bout sending 10 people home unhappy and rallying here, Crew.

Here is another site. LD rate is 11 there. You'd think they'd use the same raw data.
Lawrie's is 5% there as well, but get this: it's 11% on the road and 0%! at home. On that site, Cain's is 17% on the road and 5% at home.

Cain's, courtesy of minorleaguesplits is 16.7% on the road and 5.1% at home, while Lawrie's at minorleaguesplits is again 0% at home and 10.8% on the road.

My bet is that it's something with Huntsville's scorer. If Lawrie has been putting up more like an 11%, that's certainly less worrisome (if that can be trusted).

It's games like tonight that convince me that this is going to be a bad season for the Brewers. Not just disappointing, but bad. Possibly 95-loss bad. They just don't have wins in them, and 95 losses is the pace they're on now.

Happy for Cappy, but that's about it. It already feels like the vast majority of the Septembers that Brewers have played out over the past 25 years.

How 'bout sending 10 people home unhappy and rallying here, Crew.

It's been a disappointing series, but I don't find a lot of shame in losing to one of the best young pitchers in the game. But I can agree there hasn't been much to get excited about tonight.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

I give Josh Johnson full credit. But at some point, if you're going to win games and win series, you have to beat the Josh Johnsons of teh world or find a way to touch up the pen after he's gone. Need Braunie to come through huge here. Seems like it's been too long.

Archived