Brewer Fanatic

Corey Hart Love

RobDeer 45
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Generally speaking, shouldn't any player be traded if you can get more for them than you think they are worth?
And I think herein lies the issue that fans often have with selling high: General Managers are typically not as sensitive in evaluating player performance based on recent results as we believe they are. If we can all sit here and go 'hey, we know Hart isn't really this good', certainly GM's don't think he really is. It's not like we have some piece of information they don't have. There are bad GM's, and good GM's make dumb decisions, but most likely there are very few teams that will be willing to offer much for a corner outfielder who (being extremely generous) projects to hit something like .280/.350/.500/.850 with poor defense, given that he is making $4.8 million this year and will likely make something like $8 million next year (another thing to point out - even though a team that trades for a guy like Hart didn't reap the benefits of his hot start, they will pay for it the next season!).

Generally speaking, shouldn't any player be traded if you can get more for them than you think they are worth?
But often what you are getting more of is potential worth, not actual worth. So if you want to win, at some point you need to stick with a player. Otherwise you are constantly rebuilding; fielding teams that are "almost" good, but never "actually" good.

But often what you are getting more of is potential worth, not actual worth. So if you want to win, at some point you need to stick with a player. Otherwise you are constantly rebuilding; fielding teams that are "almost" good, but never "actually" good.

To paraphrase Benjamin Graham, everything has a price and a value. If you can determine the value, and you can either buy at a price below the value or sell at a price higher than the value, you will end up with a better team (more value). Russ didn't say "continually trade MLB guys for AA guys," he said "trade him for more than you think he's worth." If the Rays said they would trade their MLB team for the Brewers' MLB team, wouldn't that be getting more value for our players than they are worth, while instantly becoming a much better team? That's a far-fetched example, but it if you get more in return than what you give up, you will go from "almost good" to "actually good," not the reverse.

The problem is determining the value, which is what teams pay a legion of scouts and statisticians to determine. If you can buy a player for less than he's worth or sell a player for more than he's worth, then yes, it would be wise to do so.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I completely agree. Measure worth any way you want. If good performance projects to be worth more now toa team than in 2011, so be it. My issue is just when people say a certain player should be traded without even mentioning what should be the minimum return for that player. Sure you can identify players who's skills you think are somewhat redundant or who's current production could be worth more to another team than your own, but it's not like he has NO value on your team. It all depends on the possible return.

I also want to give credit to Corey Hart for playing very well this season. I am very happy for him and the team. It's a nice story. I hope finds his way to the All-Star Game somehow.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived