Brewer Fanatic

The Jim Joyce/Perfect Game Thread

I personally think it is cool that now probably most of us can say we were watching the brewers game and watched this perfect game missed call right when it happened and we had a first hand account of one the most famous games in MLB history. There have been 20 official perfect games, a handful of other times when a pitcher has recorded 27 straight outs and not credited with a perfect game, and only 1 where an umps call "cost" a guy a perfect game.
Also the way Jim Joyce and Galarraga handled this was a great lesson for everyone and far more meaningful than a line in a record book.

http://i.usatoday.net/communitymanager/_photos/daily-pitch/2010/06/03/joycearmandoshakex-wide-community.jpg

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Games are long enough now, I don't feel like having every bang bang play result in a 5 minute delay as 80% of turnovers, and sideline catches in football result in now.

What and what? Exaggeration aside, why can't they, instead of spending five minutes yelling and kicking dirt at each other, use the time to go get the stinking call right?

80% of turnovers and sideline catches are reviewed? What? I think I read a study that showed the average length of an NFL game increased by 4.5 minutes subsequent to the reinstatement on instant replay. The angle taken by Davey Nelson and Bill Schroeder yesterday just reinforces why I can't stand to hear them talk.

What's next, are we going to review every ball and strike? That line of thinking is poppycock. We are not talking about balls and strikes, we are talking about clear missed calls on the basepaths. Many of them.

Games are long enough now, I don't feel like having every bang bang play result in a 5 minute delay as 80% of turnovers, and sideline catches in football result in now.

What and what? Exaggeration aside, why can't they, instead of spending five minutes yelling and kicking dirt at each other, use the time to go get the stinking call right?

80% of turnovers and sideline catches are reviewed? What?

OK, 80% of fumble turnovers....I was guessing. The point is, replay sucks, and it's not perfect either. The NFL likes it because it gives them more commercial time to sell, but the fact is it has created a group of referees who are unable to make a tough call, instead waiting back for replay to cover their rears. Is the human element to officiating always fair? No, but it's been part of the game for almost 150 years. If we wanted to make everything 'fair', why don't we have standard sized ballparks, etc.? I would think that we could use current technology to replace the home plate umpire with a robot that would never miss a ball or strike call. Should we do that too?

I happen to like it, and think it makes the game better by getting almost every call right. We really don't need fumbles not being called costing a certain team a shot at the NFC Championship game. That doesn't add anything to the experience, unless you are a fan of the team getting the benefit of the blown call, and even they should feel a little cheap deep down.

If they were to do this system right (and the NFL has the system HORRIBLY wrong, by the way), any replay could and would be done with only an additional 30 seconds added onto the game.

You need a replay official who's up in the booth, or... heck, anywhere. Watching the game on 6 TV's. If a call is wrong and it's challenged, he already knows it before the home plate up gets to the phone or whatever it is to contact him.

The idiocy of the NFL of having a ref look at a tiny monitor, and spend 5 minutes going to and from the monitor to midfield is ludicrous. If you watch a game on TV, you know the outcome of the replay within 30 seconds the overwhelming majority of the time. If they had a booth-referee who only handled replays the same could be done in the NFL.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Wonder how this would have gone had the ump been Joe West, Jerry Layne or Ed Rapuano.

I wonder how this would have gone if it was Carlos Zambrano instead of Gallaraga!

I think a Ed Rapuano/ Big Z matchup would have been completely epic. Something almost worth buying a ticket after the fact.

6.05(k) In running the last half of the distance from home base to first base, while the ball is being fielded to first base, he runs outside (to the right of) the three-foot line, or inside (to the left of) the foul line, and in the umpire’s judgment in so doing interferes with the fielder taking the throw at first base...

Archived