Brewer Fanatic

The Jim Joyce/Perfect Game Thread

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jim Joyce screwed up the call, but I'm assuming he might have figured it out shorly after the play. He could have corrected himself and asked another Ump to come into the play. Nice move dipwad.

Jim Joyce screwed up the call, but I'm assuming he might have figured it out shorly after the play. He could have corrected himself and asked another Ump to come into the play. Nice move dipwad.
Agreed. If ever there was a time for an umpire huddle, this was it.

And now Jim Joyce takes away a piece of baseball immortality from Armando Gallaraga from Detroit on a play that wasn't really that close. If you didn't see it Gallaraga had a perfect game through 8 2/3 and Donald (Cleveland SS) hit a ball to Cabera's right at first base. Cabrera ranged far to his right and threw a pee to Gallaraga covering first base. They got him by a good half step and Joyce called him safe. Now I realize that a play like that is pretty "bang-bang" but in that situation if it is close do you not have to give the nod to the pitcher on the verge of being the 21st pitcher in MLB history to throw a perfect game? And on top of that it wasn't close. If you and I were there it would have been close, but a guy who has been in the league as long as Joyce should be able to see 1/2 step pretty clearly.

If you watch the replay he made a slight movement like he was starting to call the runner out and then reversed. It would be interesting to know why he seemingly changed his mind
He was thinking YEEERR OOUU -"man, three perfect games, we're handing these things out like trick-or-treat candy," SAFE!!!!!!

Don't know if any of you watch hockey, but the Flyers just had a goal pretty clearly go over the line, but it was never called.
Hockey does it right. Use the call on the ice and keep play going, then at the first stoppage of play they go to replay. If the call is reversed by replay, they go back to what it would have been at the time of the play in question.

To his credit (although it doesn't change anything), Jim Joyce was all class in his post-game interview. Admitted he made the wrong call, even said he stole the perfect game from the kid, thought he was right until he saw the replay. Then tipped his cap to Galaraga for not getting in his face while all his teammates did.

There's going to be some self loathing in his hotel room tonight.

While Joyce blew the call, messed up the chance for history, I don't know how you can use video for

every baseball close out-safe call. There are too many other factors, such as the "neighborhood" play,

the first baseman pulling off the base, etc. Still I feel God-awful for the Tiger pitcher. He showed

nothing but class, I admire his attitude, whether it was the great play the CF made or the blown call.

I feel so bad for Gallarraga and Joyce, although a little less for the latter. It's being reported that Joyce went into the locker room after the game and personally apologized to Gallarraga and Leyland which I have to say is a class act. I'm not sure I would be able to face them after a situation like this.

I don't believe this really belongs in this thread. It is a blown call not a case of an umpire with an overinflated ego. Joyce wasn't aggressive and didn't escalate the situation. He made what is obviously a mistake. It would be great to have replay for situations like this but it didn't cost the Tigers the game.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived