Brewer Fanatic

Ken Griffey Jr. retires

trwi7

I guess I have been hardened by the reality and business of baseball. I don't carry many emotional ties to any of these guys. Sure I had some Jr. baseball cards as a kid, and played his video game, and pretended to be him when doing my mandatory LH switch hit in our sim game, and so on. But these guys need to retire already. Sticking around when they suck is painful to watch, and to listen to them believe they can correct it, or work it out, or think they should be playing everyday is even more painful.

I guess I relate more to the game itself, and not necessarily the players all that much.

I guess I relate more to the game itself, and not necessarily the players all that much.

I'm with you, sheethead. I think one reason why players stick around so long now is because of the money. Sing a deal for a million or two in your late 30's just to ride the bench, PH, and get a start on a Sunday afternoon? Sure, why not. If the guy's a respected veteran the team won't hassle him too much if he's a bit lackadaisical.

These lingering seasons for these vets may have run its course though. Teams are finally catching on to the concept of replacement level and paying for performance vs. paying for reputation. Jim Edmonds and Trevor Hoffman notwithstanding.

I really doubt Griffey was hanging around these last couple seasons "for money." He made over $150 million in his career (just in contracts, not counting endorsement deals, etc). A couple million more per year with Seattle at the end probably wasn't a big deal to him at this point. If anything he was playing for pride and maybe to pad his career stats a bit.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I really doubt Griffey was hanging around these last couple seasons "for money." He made over $150 million in his career (just in contracts, not counting endorsement deals, etc).
Just because he made alot doesn't mean he didn't spend it all. Look at Antoine Walker, he is millions in debt and he made over 110 mil.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

Just because he made alot doesn't mean he didn't spend it all. Look at Antoine Walker, he is millions in debt and he made over 110 mil.

It doesn't help to take probably the most extreme example to make your point...sure if Junior spent all of his money maybe he came back for the money. I haven't heard that Junior is having money problems and I don't think it is fair to assume he is...

Does he get paid through the rest of the year? I thought if he retired he doesn't get paid anymore...if that is true that goes exactly against the logic above.

Archived