Brewer Fanatic

Ken Griffey Jr. retires

trwi7

You beat me to the punch!

Not going to lie, this is kind of a sad day for me. He was "The Kid" when I was a kid. Him and Frank Thomas were the first young stars that I followed as they came into the league. Now that they are both out of the game, it certainly makes me feel a bit older.

I can't imagine how I will feel when Prince eventually hangs 'em up.

While no one is above suspicion, he was probably the one true slugger of the steroid era who did it the right way: raw talent. Frank Thomas, too.

I know there are the Bonds apologists, but in my mind it should have always been Griffey who chased Aaron's record. Just wasn't meant to be.

Tip o' the cap.

Good riddance. He went out with no class, just as would be expected.

???

He should have had the class that Bonds and all the other steroids guys had...

Junior will go down as one of my favorite players ever. I know his career didn't go the way it could have the past few years...I still think he might be the best (or on a short list) of natural players I've ever seen. I really wish he could've stayed healthy...hell maybe he should have done the juice if he's going to get responses like this...

I'm guessing that response was in reaction to Griffey basically whining about retiring because he doesn't get any playing time. All I can say is, play baseball your entire life and be a superstar, then let's see how you react when you're suddenly benched. The only thing you've ever done, and you're basically told you can't do it anymore. Even if you are hitting .180, you wouldn't be happy about it either.

As a guy who is almost 30, Junior has been playing as long as I can remember. And he was great back in the day. Too many great plays in center to recall which was his best.....and a picture perfect swing. Another guy that we will wonder how great he would have been without injury.....

I agreee it is a sad day.

Weird, a player with enough pride actually realizing when he can no longer play in the league and walks away. I can't seem to think of any other players right now who should do the same thing. Oh wait, I CAN think of TWO players who should take a page from Griffey's recent book, "Leave Now Please!"

I gotta think you must be thinking of someone else, or this is the textbook definition of a minority opinion.
Did you read his retirement statement? Did you notice how he forced his way out of Seattle? (Luckily the Mariners got a much better player (from that point on) in return for him.) Or how he wouldn't move from centerfield in Cincinnati despite being arguably the worst defensive player in the league? The list goes on and on. Griffey is one of the least likable players in sports but because he smiled a lot the media hyped him up.

Griffey, Jr was great with the fans on the visitor's on-deck circle. Always
pleasant, visited with kids sitting there. Class Act. Junior, you will be missed.
I'm sure he would have gotten 700 HR's and 3,000 hits without his injuries--

"Hi, this is Ken Griffey Jr., let's play Major League Baseball."

My favorite baseball video game of all time is Major League Baseball Featuring Ken Griffey Jr. Good times. So long Junior.

*hat tip*

I call dibs on first in line to bash whatever knucklehead baseball writer that leaves him off his first HoF ballot, so he doesn't go in unanimously. If ever there were a unanimous, first-ballot HoF guy, Junior's it. What a career.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

"Hi, this is Ken Griffey Jr., let's play Major League Baseball."

My favorite baseball video game of all time is Major League Baseball Featuring Ken Griffey Jr. Good times. So long Junior.

That was the first game I ever bought for the N64, and I played the crap out of it (and abused the "Griffey calls his shot" automatic home run code). I agree with RyDogg that I say goodbye to my childhood with him gone. Quite possibly my favorite player ever, and the reason I had just as many Mariners hats as I did Brewers hats as a kid. It's a shame he could never stay healthy or get to a World Series. We'll always wonder how many home runs he would have hit if he didn't miss so much time in Cincinnati.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

I'm not going to pretend I was a huge fan of his. I didn't like how he left Seattle. Still, there's no denying he was an amazing player, and should be a first ballot Hall of Famer, like others mentioned. I'm glad he's hanging up the cleats now, rather than trying to ride out the season on the bench.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I gotta think you must be thinking of someone else, or this is the textbook definition of a minority opinion.
Did you read his retirement statement? Did you notice how he forced his way out of Seattle? (Luckily the Mariners got a much better player (from that point on) in return for him.) Or how he wouldn't move from centerfield in Cincinnati despite being arguably the worst defensive player in the league? The list goes on and on. Griffey is one of the least likable players in sports but because he smiled a lot the media hyped him up.
I'm with you Hova, but it is sad to hear him retiring. One of the game's greatest "what ifs."

Milton Bradley made probably his only memorable quote when he said "On a day like today, it should be raining in Seattle"

Griffey was the last of my childhood favorites to play the game. See ya in Cooperstown, buddy.

Archived