Brewer Fanatic

Best Relievers in the System

Crash2303

With such a big rotating door lately in the bullpen, it made me realize we have about 20 or so 'capable' major league level relievers in our system. that's a surplus for sure- too bad most of them are all scrubs- albeit major league capable scrubs. so, if you had to keep 8 of them the rest of the year, not considering salary, who would you keep? (this would factor in guys bouncing back, young guys arriving, and guys rehabbing) I'd keep these top 8.

Here's my depth chart of relievers (* = current starter, + = lefthanded):
1. Todd Coffey
2. Carlos Villanueva
3. Chris Capuano+*
4. John Axford
5. Mitch Stetter+
6. LaTroy Hawkins
7. Dave Bush*
8. David Riske
9. Zach Braddock+
10.Chris Smith
11.Manny Parra+
12.Chris Narveson+*
13.Jeff Suppan
14.Trevor Hoffman
15.Marco Estrada
16.Brian Bruney
17.Jeff Bennett
18.Josh Butler
19.Claudio Vargas
20.Kameron Loe*
21.Tim Dillard
22.Chuck Lofgren+
23.Brandon Kintzler
24.Amaury Rivas*
25.Mike McClendon
26.Chris Waters+*
27.Chase Wright+*
28.A.J. Murray+

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Not sure why you would put two current SPs (Capuano/Bush) into the bullpen, as we don't have anyone to take their place... Unless you are putting Parra and Estrada back as starters (since they are not in the top 8).

Disagree on Braddock also. He would be in the top 4. Plus lower on the list, I wouldn't want Butler or Rivas even be hinted at being RPs. They are SPs and need to remain there.

1. John Axford

2. Zach Braddock+

3. Todd Coffey

4. Carlos Villanueva

5. Mitch Stetter+ - Better option than others, but because he has a MiLB option left, will be left at AAA for this year, unless injuries occur.

6. Chris Narveson+*

7. Trevor Hoffman

8. Manny Parra+

9. Chris Smith

10. LaTroy Hawkins - Moved down until he proves healthy

11. David Riske - Moved down until he proves healthy

12. Marco Estrada

13. Tim Dillard - new arm angle showing improvements?

14 .Kameron Loe*

15. Claudio Vargas - Not presently, but I think his is suffering similar to Hawkins and can improve with some time off.

16. Jeff Suppan - well, he is healthy, so he has that going for him...

17. Brian Bruney - there is a reason why he was cut...

18. Jeff Bennett - there is a reason why he was available...

19. Brandon Kintzler - will move up list fast.

It's not really a surplus when a number of these guys are nothing more than organizational filler. Rivas needs to remain a starter. Stuff-wise, Braddock is the best of the bunch, which isn't saying much.

1) Todd Coffey
2) Carlos Villanueva
3) John Axford
4) Zach Braddock
5) Mitch Stetter
6) Chris Narveson
7) Chris Smith
8) Marco Estrada

The bottom four are all interchangeable.

To be fair, I think a lot of organizations have this type of "depth"; none of our filler arms are really any more than replacement level pitchers.

Here's what I have, without taking into concern anything other than each pitcher's ability at this moment:

1) Todd Coffey

2) John Axford

3) Zach Braddock

4) Latroy Hawkins (assuming he can come back healthy)

5) Carlos Villanueva

6) Trevor Hoffman

7) Manny Parra

8) David Riske

8) Kameron Loe

9) Marco Estrada

I didn't include guys that I view as starters, and I only included Parra because he has just been removed from the rotation. Realistically, with Axford and Braddock, I like the way the back end of the pen looks for the coming years. I still think that Hawkins is a good (albeit way overpaid) reliever, as nothing about his 11.2 innings is out of the ordinary except for his results, which are fueled by a .421 BABIP (.315 career) and 45.9 LOB% (70.6% career). If either Kintzler or Wooten can prove to be a solid major league pitcher, I like the pen even more.

Archived