Mid-season promotions

paul253
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Text is from poster rcon14 --

A lot of our prospects at the lower-end of our system are having a lot of success (Odorizzi, Davis, Roberts). Do you think any of these guys could expect promotions prior to season's end?

Personally I think Odorizzi has to be promoted before the end of the season. He's been coddled through the low levels and is pitching to a 3.04 ERA with the T-Rats and I'd like to see him continue his success in Brevard County before season's end to see if he could be in Huntsville in early 2011.

I have a similar case with Kentrail Davis, who's been annihilating the ball with the T-Rats, he struggled with a "heat related illness" in Brevard earlier this year but he has to show he can hit against better pitching and I'd like to see Davis in Huntsville at some point in mid 2011.

I don't expect a promotion from Tyler Roberts who's hitting great in Rookie Ball, only 19 he may ride out the rest of the season there and then start 2011 with the T-Rats.

Brett Lawrie could very well get a promotion to AAA, but he'd probably have to change positions in order to see any substaintial and consistent playing time at only one spot.

As for other guys, I expect Lorenzo Cain to be promoted again following the Carlos Gomez likely concussion (he reportadly has dizziness). I don't see why Amaury Rivas isn't in AAA right now, he's pitched well at every level and I think he needs to show that he can pitch against more experienced hitters, right now I see him as a Carlos Villanueva clone. Mat Gamel will be up in September, but barring injury we won't see him before hand. Scooter could very well find his way to Brevard, but he's so young they might be better served keeping him in WIS.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Odorizzi has come up often when discussing promos. If it hasn't happened by now, not sure that it will. But its deserved.

Lawrie is having a nice year, but I don't think 282/345/452/798 screams that he is in need of a promotion... Probably go to AAA next year, but I don't think he is playing above AA so much that he needs to move.

Green is hitting the same or slightly better than Lawrie and is heating up. I think he should be promoted, especially since he has shown he can handle AA pitching. That would also give some incentive to have Gamel play RF/1B also. And Lawrie could play more 3B, too...

Still wondering why Rivas and Rogers are held at AA.

Both Davis' (Kh and Ke), Pokorny and Gennett could head to A+. I wonder if they would skip Kentrail to AA next year... I'd leave Dykstra to finish a strong season at A-ball. Hate to bump him and chance him finishing on a sour note.

Hawn belongs in A-ball, but with Morris and Dennis, he is blocked.

I think Odorizzi is going to follow a similar path as Gallardo did in the minors. He'll finish this year in low A, start next year in high A, and then get promoted to AA mid-year if he is throwing the ball well. There's only a month left in the minor league season, so I don't really see any significant promotions coming. Maybe Rivas and/or Rogers gets bumped up to AAA, but that might be all we see (hope I'm wrong though).

For Odorizzi, a lot of it has to do with the progression of his workload. He already has thrown 50 more innings this year than last, although I'm sure he logged more if you count EST time. Still, he's close to being maxed out, and a reason he's had a start or two skipped already (I think). I agree with the BC/HUN Gallardo-esque progression for him next year.

I would like to see Rivas at AAA. He has more than proven himself each of the last few seasons, and even if he isn't bumped up to Nashville, I hope he gets the chance to log some innings with the Brewers in September, hopefully pushing him close to 150 or so innings total (although he's a candidate to go the AFL).

I'm a little more hesitant with Rogers, who tossed about 65 innings last year (after missing 2007-08) and is up to 92 this year. Also, I'd like to see him string together a few starts where he's not walking a batter an inning. I know he supposedly has been allowed to throw his entire repertoire, but I'm not convinced that is why he's walking so many guys.

I'd like to see Scarpetta join Peralta at AA. He's on the 40-man and would be nice to see him log a few starts at Huntsville to possibly set him up a for mid-season promotion to Nashville next year.

Kentrail Davis should be at BC, but that was kind of a weird situation to begin with. It seems as though the Brewers may be intent on moving that entire WI team together given how much talent is all at the same level.

This is Gennett's first taste of pro ball, I say leave him where he's at and consider having him play a half season at BC next year before getting bumped to AA. As noted, Lawrie's having a solid season, but he's not forcing the issue. I agree that Green should be at AAA, especially now that Gamel is going to be playing 1B and RF more.

Cain should already be in Milwaukee.

After last year when Scarpetta and Lawrie got the big promotion to Huntsville from Wisconsin to close out the regular season and playoffs, anyone see something like this happening again now that the Stars have a chance to make the playoffs again this year and are possibly the only team capable of making it this season? Not trying to say that the Brewers really put to much emphasis on minor league playoffs but it is always nice to have at least one team make it. Plus it would just be fun to see some players bumped the same way Lawrie and Scarpetta were last season.

So any guesses of who you'd see being promoted if they went this route again?

As for a A to AA promotion I think if they were to take two again it would be Kentrail Davis if 100% healthy along with Odorizzi as the "Scarpetta" pick from last year.

If they were to take A+ to AA Scarpetta is a lock in my mind, he should already be there as it is, but outside of him I think Heckathorn would make sense along with Erik Komatsu.

I guess it really depends on what they have mapped out for Heckathorn and Odorizzi as pretaining to innings pitched.

No clue if they would make a move like this again this season but I really hope so. I really enjoyed following Scapetta's AA starts and Lawrie's everyday at bats (most at DH) last season

Archived