Brewer Fanatic

Mid-season promotions

paul253

Looking at the organization, who are some of the players that you all hope get bumped up a level around the all start break?

Wisconsin:

I'd like to see Heckathorn, Odorizzi, and Kristopher Davis move up. Heckathorn and Davis are college guys and don't need to spend an entire year in low A ball when they've shown success. Odorizzi is putting up good numbers and he's already been brought along fairly slowly. Plus, moving up two starters will allow for some of the pitchers in Wisconsin to get more starts. A BC rotation of Odorizzi, Heckathorn, Peralta, Fiers, and Scarpetta would be very fun to follow

BC:

Honestly not a lot here. Probably just some roster filler to allow spaces for the others to become available.

Huntsville:

Cain: Why on earth is he still in Huntsville?

Rivas: Why not? He's doing well in AA, although his K's are down. See what he can do in Nashville and maybe he'll have an outside chance at the fifth starters spot in Milwaukee next season.

Mike McClendon: Know nothing about him but very good numbers as a reliever.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wisconsin:

ASAP

SP Heckathorn---College arm, if they were planning to fast Arnett originally, I see no reason Kyle shouldn't be the way he has come on. He his has been dominate since he has been allowed to stretch out his starts, not just ERA but all his peripherals look really nice. ( over the last 4 games that he has gone over 6 IPs)

OF Davis--- comes from a college powerhouse in Cal-Fullerton and has absolutely been hitter the ball. Listening on the radio Chris was mentioning how his HR in todays game is one of the longest he has seen since 2001. Davis is an advanced hitter hence why he should be in advanced A http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

A little more time

SP Odorizzi---I know many people want him up right now but IMO he still has plenty to work on with the Rattlers. While he has been very good, he has not been lights out dominating. I say let him continue to get stretched out and build up some more confidence and then bring him up. If in 4 more starts he is still pitching at this level or even higher give him the call.

RP Pokorny--- Once again a college arm that has rather good this season. My guess he is the next reliever in line if BC needs to add on.

Longer Shots:

SP Bucci--- ERA is awesome, he is not giving up that many hits but the problem here is the walks. Until he tons that around I don't see how he can be promoted.

2B Gennett--- Hitting the crap outta the ball and has made the transition from high school ball to the midwest league seem like a piece of cake. It would be nice if he was to get the bump but with his age and defensive issues so far this season I do not see him moving up unless BC is going to the playoffs.

===========================================

Brevard County

ASAP

Mike Fiers---He is already 25 years old and as shown plenty enough to be promoted to Huntsville. He has 60 K's through 59.1 IP a WHIP of 1.00 and a mid 3.50 ERA. No need to take it slow with him, I think he should be handled like Butler and Axford last season....move him up until he is tested. He is 100% not being tested right now.

Soon

Lamontagne--- Big 24 year old who pumps the ball up into the mid 90's when needed dominated with the T-Rats and if he continues to do so with BC I see no reason he shouldn't be promoted again.

===============================

Huntsville

ASAP

Cain--- Cain hitting in AA right now challenges him as much as him hitting off a tee....it is a pure joke he is still there. The only reason I could see for it is that they want him to stay until Logan is healthy

Gamel---WELCOME BACK MAT! Finally after almost a full year of waiting we are starting to see that Mat Gamel that we all love.... Now that he is swing the bat well and his shoulder is appearing to be better no need to cause a three man rotation for playing time between Green (3b,2b) Gamel (3b) Lawrie (2b).... all three need to be on the field everyday.

Kintzler---The Brewers are flipping over backwards to try to find pitching and here we have a guy who has been vintage Hoffman good with outstanding control. I have never seen Kintzler throw and know if he is the real deal or if this is just a fluke but it is worth a try to see how he fairs.

Soon

Rivas--- Once he gets healthy and reeling again he should be considered

Rogers--- Yes, already promoted but they plan to ship him right back down.... I hope does make anothertrip back to Nashville this season though.

T. Green--- He still needs to get more hacks in down in Huntsville after he suffered his latest injury (doesn't appear to be bothering him to with this HR's). It is hard to see how he would fit if he was promoted to Nashville because Gamel at 3B and eventually Farris back at 2nd. Skill wise AAA is where he belongs

========================

It would be awesome to have Rivas and Rogers both in the Nashville rotation by years end to help get them ready for a run next year at a rotation spot.

Wow, it's so great to see some of the production these guys are turning in. I generally don't check stats much until later in the season (for MLB or MiLB), but this thread has me looking.

- Gamel is absolutely back, and I hope he can continue to rake once he gets back to Nashville.

- Cain has been on fire, and iirc trwi7 was right-on in highlighting his much improved BB rate.

- Lawrie is doing admirably for a 20-yo in AA. While I think he'll ultimately spend the whole season with Huntsville, he's probably not far off from AAA

- Heckathorn has been fanatastic (like YoungGeezy noted), and I agree on Odorizzi. He just needs a little more time in A-

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Verified Member
His BABIP is .442, so the numbers will almost certainly slide some no matter where he goes. Southern League is supposed to be more of a pitcher's league than the PCL if I'm not mistaken, so they may view it as more of a challenge. Maybe Schafer isn't far from returning or maybe they see him as a possible call-up this season and don't want to move him twice. Its also more of a complete team and they're big on that whole team unity thing. The Sounds are pretty surprising to me.
Formerly AKA Pete

What about Scooter Gennett? My initial thought was to just let him play the year in Wisconsin since he is so young, but then I realized he really isn't that much younger than Brett Lawrie, who got pushed all the way up to Huntsville. Gennett certainly has earned it, and if he's going to be at second base then there won't be an issue with playing time with him and Josh Prince.

I wouldn't be surprised if Dykstra gets promoted to A+. He is currently hitting .297/.385/.385/.769. I love the OBP from Dykstra this year though he really needs to get his power numbers up. He is having a good quiet year after last years horrible year. I have noticed that no one has even been talking about him lately.

I think Cain will be up in AAA once Schafer comes back by the way has anyone heard anything on Schafer and his injury lately?

The last update I heard was a few weeks ago, but I thought they said he wasn't close to being ready yet.

I don't understand the reasoning for waiting to move up Cain. He's already in his third season in AA and is hitting very well. If there is a chance he could make the 25 man roster next year, wouldn't it make more sense to move him up now and let him get as many AB's against more advanced pitching as possible? If he does well he could make Corey Hart expendable, which save a lot of money.

As far as Dykstra goes, I'd like to see him stay the year in Wisconsin. He is having his first sniff of success so far and I don't want him to move up a level and go back to hitting in the low 200's . Really though I wish they'd move Gennett to SS and Dykstra to 2B instead of having Dkystra play 3B and DH.

For record, AAA pitching isn't more advanced, it's just a different type of pitching than what you'll typically see in AA. It's more about finesse with AAA pitchers than power arms which are typically in AA. Location, changing speeds, all that good stuff... Generally speaking the only power arms sitting in AAA are those that have issues throwing strikes or are young pitchers either riding out super 2 status or blocked from the MLB rotation. There are only a handful of true pitching prospects in AAA at any one time. Power arms than can locate in AAA tend to find their way to MLB in a hurry.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I wouldn't be surprised if Dykstra gets promoted to A+. He is currently hitting .297/.385/.385/.769. I love the OBP from Dykstra this year though he really needs to get his power numbers up. He is having a good quiet year after last years horrible year. I have noticed that no one has even been talking about him lately.
We did put him back on the Power 50...

I did see that but he is still having a rather quiet year for what he has been doing this year. Though I do wish the Brewers would move him off of 3B and put him back at 2B where he should be.

Why should he be at 2B? He's a horrible defender... and why would they put him in Gennett's way?

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I did see that but he is still having a rather quiet year for what he has been doing this year. Though I do wish the Brewers would move him off of 3B and put him back at 2B where he should be.

Well who do you suggest they move off 2b? Gennett or Lawrie? He has no shot to leap those guys in my opinion and will be just spinning his wheels. 3B at least the prospects ahead of him are older and already close (Green could easily be in AAA and Gamel in the MLB). The only thing is he will never hit for the power needed for third :/ He is about the same age as Lawrie and not much older than Gennett so I just see him have any chance with the Brewers there. I do hope he keeps it up though! He has been through a lot and it is great to see him hitting so well.

Why should he be at 2B? He's a horrible defender... and why would they put him in Gennett's way?
Why because he doesn't have the bat to play at 3B his bat plays a lot better at 2B than it does at 3B. Gennett is still athletic enough to be a SS. Though I do wish Dykstra would have done better at CF last year if he isn't going to be a 2B then CF would probably be the best spot to put him.

As for Lawrie he is not a 2B. He should really be the one playing 3B or a corner OF spot.

Why because he doesn't have the bat to play at 3B his bat plays a lot better at 2B than it does at 3B. Gennett is still athletic enough to be a SS.
His best shot will be some sort of utility role, the organization doesn't believe Gennett is a SS. Dykstra hasn't proven to be a competent defender anywhere, he's hitting well enough to play, but he's not better than Gennett in any way so the only positions available to him are 3B or DH. It doesn't make sense to send him up to and put him in front of Gennett. Who's he going to replace up there? Miranda has cooled off lately but is still hitting .298 and has the same number of errors as Dykstra in twice as many games, Cline is having a very nice season as the SS 2B.

edit. fixed stupid position mistake

- Plato

- Plato

Did Ryan Gennett get moved from 2B to SS? According to this Link is says that Gennett is the SS for the Timber Rattlers. .. Just curious.

link

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

For record, AAA pitching isn't more advanced, it's just a different type of pitching than what you'll typically see in AA. It's more about finesse with AAA pitchers than power arms which are typically in AA.

Yep, AA is more power arms and AAA tends to be filled with not-quite-good-enough-to-be-major-league junkballers. But prospects need to be able to hit both as they will see both in the majors. Some TV analyst a day or two ago said they always used to throw junk to the young hitters because young players are fastball hitters. Makes sense, especially if they spend little time at AAA.

but he's not better than Gennett in any way so the only positions

available to him are 3B or DH. It doesn't make sense to send him up to

and put him in front of Gennett.

They wouldn't be putting him in front of Gennett, the idea would be to move Gennett to shortstop, where he'd have nobody blocking him. I doubt Lawrie sticks at second base either. He's still in A ball so he'd have plenty of time to improve his defense. Weeks and Gamel weren't exactly gold glovers down in A ball but they've both improved enough to stick at the position.

They wouldn't be putting him in front of Gennett, the idea would be to move Gennett to shortstop, where he'd have nobody blocking him.

ya I get that argument but once again from my link above.

The tool box

Wisconsin Timber Rattlers manager Jeff Isom breaks down Scooter Gennett's skills:

- Hitting for average:

In my eyes, he's going to be above average in hitting. He's going to

hit for a high average. He has a knack for putting the barrel of the

bat on the ball, no matter if it's inside, outside, breaking pitches.

He's always in a good hitting position. His hands are always back —

even if he gets out front, his hands are in a good hitting position.

- Hitting for power:

He'll surprise you. Is he going to be a 30-home run guy? Probably not.

Does he have a chance to be a 15 (-home run guy)? Maybe. Time will tell

on that, but he does a lot of great things with his swing to get him in

position to hit, and hit with power.

- Running speed:

Right now, we've got an average to maybe slightly below average

(runner). But I think as he continues to work and get stronger, that

will improve and he could be an average to maybe a slightly above

average baserunner.

- Arm strength: He's got a very

good arm. He's got to work on some throwing technique and mechanics,

but he can get it over there to first base. He shows a strong arm.

- Fielding[/i]:

He profiles as a prototypical second baseman now. … Defensively, from

the beginning of the season until now, he has improved steadily. Glove

work, getting acclimated to the second base position — he's showing a

lot of good things. I see him as being an average major league second

baseman, defensively.

- Final thoughts: He's a

confident kid — very confident in his ability on the offensive side.

He's going to be a big leaguer at some point. An exciting, young player

in the Brewers minor league system.

- Plato

- Plato

This audio interview from today offers some insights into the organizational philosophy and prospects Kyle Heckathorn and Jake Odorizzi specifically.

- Plato

- Plato

Verified Member
I think I recall Garth Iorg saying Gennet could play SS. This is the quote from the interview: I've always played both positions. But (the coaches) brought me into the office and were talking to me and saying how, for my well-being and my career, I could probably get to the big leagues faster as a second baseman. That's not the same thing as saying they don't believe in him as a SS.
Formerly AKA Pete

Archived