Brewer Fanatic

Mock draft thread

And for the record, Biddle isn't a signability pick. He's actually considered a strong recruit to Oregon, and the Brewers aren't the only team looking at him in the first round.

I agree with you 98% of the time, but theres no way Biddle will get more than slot money at #14. There are other teams that might have interest in him in round 1, but those teams are at the end of round 1, not # 14. I can't think of any time the Brewers drafted a total reach and ended up proving everyone else wrong.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I absolutely agree with you X, Biddle will not get more than slot value, and I also agree that the Brewers are the first team that would consider taking Biddle at #14 (or Luke Jackson for that matter). As for taking a player that proved everyone else wrong, how about Prince Fielder? The Brewers and Tigers were the only teams that were considering taking him as early as the Brewers did in '02. While not as big of a reach, there weren't any teams in the top 10-12 connected with Ryan Braun in '05.

My problem with Biddle, and almost any prep arm, or any raw college arm for that matter, is the fact that the Brewers just haven't had much luck developing pitching. Not just recently, but in the entire existence of the franchise. They should stick with what they're good at, and learn from past mistakes. And by mistakes I'm not just talking about guys like Gold, Neugie, Jones and potentially Rogers and Jeffress, but also guys like Frederickson, and to a lesser extent, Eric Mega Thomas.

Back to Biddle, one thing I have often thought about is where good college players come from. You always hear about how some players have strong college commitments, but three years later when certain players blossom and become the next draft-eligible stud (such as Drew Pomeranz, Zack Cox, Brett Eibner, etc.), people wonder why they weren't drafted higher and/or had already begun their professional career.

So, what if the Brewers had drafted Drew Pomeranz three years ago with their first-round pick? I realize they picked in the top-10 that year, but I'm just saying it more in theory. At the time, Pomeranz was a prospect on the rise, although he wasn't considered a first-round pick. Had the Brewers (or any other team) taken Pomeranz then, even if it would have taken a first-round pick to get him because everyone knew he had a strong commitment to Ole Miss, and he would have progressed as he has in college, that team would look brilliant now.

And looking at some of the other names at the pre-draft, if they're able to land a handful of them, it's going to take a good chunk of change to get them in the fold. We've seen it in past years, the Brewers don't usually go above slot with their first pick, but collectively they're not going to be cheap.

TheCrew07, Biddle has already touched 96 on a few occasions, with 94 being his more customary high-mark from game-to-game. I just saw his report on MLB.com where Mayo said he tops out at 92 and that just isn't accurate.

Well then I have no objection to the pick at all, though I reserve the right to whine later of course.. :p but then again, I'm partial to lefties.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

If the Brewers wind up taking any of the players at the pre-draft workout list given by colby, it will wind up being the worst first round pick since JM Gold for this franchise. Not ONE of the players on that list is first round worthy. I would have no problem with them taking any of these players after the 4th round, but not round one.

All I can say is that I hope they have their #1 pick all locked up in their minds and didnt need to see them in a work out. If not, its really time for Mark Attanasio to make full scale changes in the front office.

I'm sticking with Loux - good fastball but don't need a great one when you have a plus change like he has. Among top 6 SPs in NCAA in K/9 and H/9. No objections to Biddle if your reports are correct, but I would love for him to be their 2nd round pick.

1st - Barret Loux, RHP, Texas A&M

2nd - Zach Cates, RHP, Northeast Texas (juco) (Paxton if he's still available)

3rd - Marcus Littlewood, SS, HS

Some other names that intrigue me: Peter Tago, Todd Cunningham, Addison Reed.

If the Brewers wind up taking any of the players at the pre-draft workout list given by colby, it will wind up being the worst first round pick since JM Gold for this franchise. Not ONE of the players on that list is first round worthy. I would have no problem with them taking any of these players after the 4th round, but not round one.

All I can say is that I hope they have their #1 pick all locked up in their minds and didnt need to see them in a work out. If not, its really time for Mark Attanasio to make full scale changes in the front office.

Lots of their middle and late round picks have come from the MP workouts in the past. Very few of their 1st rounders have been at the workout. Some of their biggest blunders have been guys that put on shows at the pre-draft workout, like Josh Murray and Evan Frederickson.

I like that they had a number of the under the radar Georgia prospects there. We just can't let the Braves completely rule that state, its the key to their empire. Guys like Goodrum and Alvord would fit nice in rounds 3-5. Lots of middle infield guys, I wonder if thats and emphasis?

Colby, do you think Goodrum stays a SS? He seems like an athlete worth rolling the dice on.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

2nd - Zach Cates, RHP, Northeast Texas (juco) (Paxton if he's still available)

I like the idea of Cates too. Not just a fireballer, but it sounds like he has a pretty solid change-up. The Brewers don't select enough guys with good change-ups, which is a big part of their crappy pitching. I wish they had an interest in Wimmers for the same reason, but I don't think he fits their mold.

Goodrum reportedly worked out at SS at the pre-draft, so the Brewers might think he can stick there. Every report I have seen and heard about him indicates that moving to CF isn't a matter of if, but when.

BA weighs in with a subscriber only mock:

14. BREWERS. As much as

Milwaukee needs pitching, the most persistent talk has it opting for

Castellanos instead. The Brewers also are looking at the same arms as

the White Sox, and could be the first team that would take enigmatic

Louisiana State righthander Anthony Ranaudo, Texas A&M righty

Barret Loux and fast-rising Florida high school righty Luke Jackson.

PROJECTED PICK: NICK CASTELLANOS.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

BA's Jim Callis has an updated mock, not behind the paywall.

14. BREWERS. Milwaukee needs pitching and has been tied to a pair of prep arms who aren't consensus first-round talents: Pennsylvania lefthander Jesse Biddle and Florida righthander Luke Jackson. It will be hard to pass up talented college pitchers who fall, such as Harvey and McGuire. The Brewers are the first real candidates to pop enigmatic Louisiana State righthander Anthony Ranaudo, and persistent rumors that they'll ignore pitching and take Castellanos won't go away.

PROJECTED PICK: Matt Harvey.

Vitek, McGuire, Allie, Wojciechowski, Colon, Brentz and Grandal, among others, still on the board at 14 in that one.

so it be pitching or hitting can't wait to see see what the Brewers do.
If any of these mocks are remotely true, there is going to be massive disappointment over the Brewers first round pick this year.

Castellanos: Wont have the power to be a third baseman.

Harvey: Winds up in the bullpen or injured

Wojciehowski: Bullpen guy as well

Biddle: No reason in the world that this kid should be drafted in the 1st round.

Decent college arms and big upside high school pitchers will probably be available when they pick, but I bet the Brewers will go with what they always have and take the one guy with the big huge one tool and hope for the best, ignoring completely that the more rounded player is a better bet. Guys like Workman and McGuire, Allie, Cole and Covey, and bats like Colon, Grandal and Cabrera all being over looked for the flavor of the week.

so it be pitching or hitting can't wait to see see what the Brewers do.
If any of these mocks are remotely true, there is going to be massive disappointment over the Brewers first round pick this year.

Castellanos: Wont have the power to be a third baseman.

Harvey: Winds up in the bullpen or injured

Wojciehowski: Bullpen guy as well

Biddle: No reason in the world that this kid should be drafted in the 1st round.

Decent college arms and big upside high school pitchers will probably be available when they pick, but I bet the Brewers will go with what they always have and take the one guy with the big huge one tool and hope for the best, ignoring completely that the more rounded player is a better bet. Guys like Workman and McGuire, Allie, Cole and Covey, and bats like Colon, Grandal and Cabrera all being over looked for the flavor of the week.

I have no clue what you are complaining about in terms of Brewers first round picks

2002 - Prince

2003 - Weeks

2004 - Rogers - even though it is taking a while he is in AAA for the time being.

2005 - Braun

2006 - Jeffress - Unless there were red-flags about the weed problem there is no

2007 - LaPorta - In the bigs and netted us CC.

2008 - Lawrie - One of the youngest guys in AA and still sporting a respectable OPS. At worst is a solid corner OF

2008 - Odorizzi - Been very, very good in A ball

2008 - Fredrickson - Looks to be a bust and the closest guy to fitting your stereotyping of Brewer picks as flavor of the week guys

2009 - Arnett - Has struggled but it is way too early to tell

2009 - K. Davis - Too early to tell

2009 - Heckathorn - Has looked good so far this year.

I just watched Allie's MLB Draft video and I can see why people are excited about him. Powerful drop-and-drive delivery with no obvious mechanical issues. The ball explodes out of his hand. I also watched Harvey's video and... blah. Seems to cut off his delivery before he's finished and his fastball didn't have much life. Biddle has a decent delivery but it doesn't sound like he has the stuff to go 14th overall.

I like Allie way better than the other two, but that's based solely on the tiny sample in the scouting videos.

Archived