Brewer Fanatic

Mock draft thread

My final 2010 Mock Draft up to Brewers 1st round pick.

1. Washington Nationals: Bryce Harper, C, Southern Nevada

2. Pittsburgh Pirates: Manny Machado, SS/3B, Brito HS, Florida

3. Baltimore Orioles: Jameson Taillon: RHP, The Woodlands HS, Texas

4. Kansas City Royals: Yasmani Grandel, C, Miami

5. Cleveland Indians: Drew Pomeranz, LHP, Mississippi

6. Arizona Diamondbacks: Chris Sale, LHP, Florida Gulf Coast

7. New York Mets: Deck McGuire, RHP, Georgia Tech

8. Houston Astros: Michael Choice, OF, Texas-Arlington

9. San Diego Padres: Koibrin Vitek, 2B, Ball tate

10. Oakland Athletics: Zack Cox, 3B, Arkansas

11. Toronto Blue Jays: Christian Colon, SS, Cal State Fullerton

12. Cincinnati Reds: Nick Castellanos, 3B, Archbishop McCarthy HS, Florida

13. Chicago White Sox: Bryce Brentz, OF, Middle Tennessee State

14. Milwaukee Brewers: Stetson Allie, RHP St. Edward H.S. (Ohio)

Other Possiblities:

college
Asher Wojciechowski, RHP, The Citadel
Alex Wimmers, RHP, Ohio State
Matt Harvey, RHP, North Carolina
Brett Eibner, RHP, Arkansas
Sammy Solis, LHP, San Diego

Anthony Ranaudo, RHP, LSU ?

high school
Karsten Whitson, RHP, Chipley HS, Florida
A.J. Cole, RHP, Ovieda HS, Florida
Dylan Covey, Maranatha H.S., California
Josh Sale, OF, Bishop Blanchet HS, Washington

I think the Brewers are gonna go with a pitcher but wouldn't mind seeing them pluck OF Josh Sale. The rumor was last year that the Brewers we set to pick OF Mike Trout out of H.S. but the Angels stole their pick. Would prefer the Crew go with either Whitson or Cole, or if they prefer the college route, take a chance on Anthony Ranaudo to be this year's Kyle Gibson.

Another name to watch for rounds 3-5:
Luke Jackson, RHP, Calvary Christian HS, Florida

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't say I'd be upset if they chose Allie, with arguably the best stuff in the draft. Plus, 6'4", 225 is the right size for Seid.

RE: McGuire, Jim Callis said his breaking stuff was "solid, not spectacular, like [the] rest of his stuff."

Ya, it will be Allie for the Crew. There's no bat to take, so next up is the hardest thrower available. As Battlekow mentions, he also fits in the organization's new desire for size. He might still be raw in terms of pitchability, but how much of that do you need with his stuff? What I really like is how much he has developed in this season after finally getting consistent innings on the mound. his delivery is actually pretty smooth, the only real change the Brewers would push is to just dial down the effort. You know, throw 96 instead of 99. He is a very inexperienced pitcher, but that doesn't seem to hold him back, his production has been as dominant as it gets.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Allie would be a great pick, especially if coddled like Lintz and Odorizzi. Lots of time the first few years building arm strength, repeating delivery, etc. 2010 Rookie ball, 2011 EST and A (or just A), 2012 A+ or AA, 2013 AA/AAA.

Allie would be a great pick, especially if coddled like Lintz and Odorizzi. Lots of time the first few years building arm strength, repeating delivery, etc. 2010 Rookie ball, 2011 EST and A (or just A), 2012 A+ or AA, 2013 AA/AAA.

I don't think he's a similar prospect to Odorizzi. Odorizzi was lean, and was overworked in HS. Allie is already fully matured physically, he's big and strong, and hasn't been overworked at all. Entering his senior year, he was under-worked. His biggest weakness as a pitcher is that he lacks experience, and he dominates too much to ever get experience in tough situations. He needs to be challenged, and will move much quicker than Odorizzi. I don't mean to take anything away from Jake, as I was a proponent of drafting him.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I just don't think Biddle has much projection left with all that size already, I rather grab someone who has the potential to regularly run it up there in the mid 90s if I'm going to draft a pitcher in the 1st round.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Minigoon informed me a couple of hours ago (and I don't mean to steal his thunder) that Biddle was in Milwaukee today for their pre-draft workout.

In my last mock draft, unless I hear otherwise at the last minute, I'm going with Nick Castellanos for today. I know I said I was going to make my pick a college pitcher, which are still in play (along with Biddle, and we all know the Brewers like taking players that attend their pre-drafts), but I'm still hearing Castellanos' name in connection with the Brewers.

I haven't heard Allie or any other prep pitcher not named Biddle. That doesn't mean it won't happen...

Minigoon informed me a couple of hours ago (and I don't mean to steal his thunder) that Biddle was in Milwaukee today for their pre-draft workout.

In my last mock draft, unless I hear otherwise at the last minute, I'm going with Nick Castellanos for today. I know I said I was going to make my pick a college pitcher, which are still in play (along with Biddle, and we all know the Brewers like taking players that attend their pre-drafts), but I'm still hearing Castellanos' name in connection with the Brewers.

I haven't heard Allie or any other prep pitcher not named Biddle. That doesn't mean it won't happen...

Thanks for the info, both Minigoon and colby. It looks like Karsten Whitson is falling a bit: haven't seen his name mentioned in conjunction with the Brewers, but he's one of the prep pitchers I'd love to get. Cole, too. Agreed with X and DHonks, though--I'd love to get Allie.

ive been saying this all along, alex wimmers is my pick for the brewers. not spectacular but he will get to the big leagues fast. thats what we need more then anything. and for anyone who says hes like arnett he isnt. he is much more polished then that.

Just read Stetson Allie's scouting report and watched his videos. wow a mid to upper 90s fastball, upper 80s slider, decent changeup, easy delivery with no violent finish. Good size, great stuff but lacks control and focus. Allie can also hit with power, which is a plus in the NL. Yo was a pretty good hitter in HS too and has 6 homers in MLB so far. I agree with others that Allie would be a great pick, he has great potential.

Frankie Piliere says Jesse Biddle appears to be in the Brewers sights.

The Milwaukee Brewers have been linked to a number of players in recent weeks, including big ticket arms like Matt Harvey and Anthony Ranaudo. But, the general feeling in the industry now is that Milwaukee will go with fast rising, prep left-hander Jesse Biddle with the 14th overall pick. Obviously, this could hinge on which players fall to the Brewers, but Biddle appears to be in their sights.

I don't know how I feel about Biddle. It doesn't seem like there are a ton of raving reviews out there, at least compared to the other guys that may be around at #14. Part of me is hoping it's a smokescreen or at least a "Plan C" type of thing in case certain players don't fall.

Maybe I just fell in love with Stetson Allie and his awesome name, or had hopes of getting one of the college arms that could be pushed along more quickly (especially considering how bad Arnett has struggled this year).

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Frankie Piliere: "Jesse Biddle remains a primary target for the Brewers at 14, but also in

the picture is prep righty out of Florida, Luke Jackson. Both players

worked out for them on Saturday. Milwaukee is also believed to have a

third target in mind, most likely a college arm."

Again, thanks to Minigoon, here's a few of the more notable players that were at the pre-draft on Saturday:

Jesse Biddle

Kevin Moran (Boston College RHP that throws hard, possible short reliever)

Kyle Waldrop (toolsy Florida prep OF/LHP with sweet swing, rising up draft boards)

DJ Johnson (GA prep IF/RHP, shorter, Jemile Weeks-esque)

Cory Vaughn (SDSU OF, Greg's son)

Luke Jackson (mentioned above, Florida prep RHP, has Turnbow hair, arm)

Niko Goodrum (tall, lanky SS/CF, hit a HR at MP)

Kendrick Perkins (I think Perkins was there -- big, hulking power prospect, also a talented RB recruit)

Chris Bisson (Kentucky 2B, shorter but good D', speed, Fernando Vina type)

Zach Alvord (Powerful 2B/3B in the mold of Aaron Hill)

Jesse Biddle would be extremely disappointing especially given the Brewers ugly history with players with a short track record of success. If Biddle is the pick, it tells us that the teams unwillingness to go over slot in round 1 has become a major obstacle.

I may not know a lot about these guys this year, but I always like the concept of HS pitchers. I think we need some power bats and arms this year, and--for once--we need to lay off drafting 5 catchers and 6 CF's. Still, if we have 1 more pitching dominant draft (that'd be 3 straight), it'd allow a focus on hitters the next few years

Keith Law: "Luke

Jackson is looking likely to go in the first round, with interest

from Milwaukee, Houston (at No. 19, not No. 8), Florida, and the

Yankees. However, I'm hearing lefty Jesse

Biddle is atop Milwaukee's board right now."

Sigh.

Colby do you think Biddle can realistically end up topping out mid 90s? Or is fixing his delivery the only way he'll add more velocity.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I'm going to go with Luke Jackson. Maybe I'm reading a little too much into the way he was being watched yesterday. He didn't throw in the scrimmage, but threw before with all the decision makers watching from behind the cage. They were telling him what to throw and where. CB looked like it had good bite. He seemed to slow down his delivery a bit when throwing his change though. Fastball was popping in the catcher's mitt. Couldn't see the readings on the radar guns, but you could tell he was running it up there pretty well.

Archived