Brewer Fanatic

2010-06-01 Brewers (Bush) at Marlins (Nolasco), 6:10 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 6-4]

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Narveson was at 99 pitches after walking Uggla on 4 straight that weren't even close to the zone.
Its not all that tough to tell when the pitcher needs to be removed. The whole Macha can't win idea holds water only because no matter what Macha does its the wrong thing. Its not a luck thing, its a bad manager thing.

At least we don't have to lament over whether Hoffman should be the closer for a while.

Don't worry, when it matters Loe will cough it up. Is that too negative?
That's pretty Loe. (/zing!)

I've found that I have been trying to justify these call ups as the next great thing. After four strong in Cincy, I was in love with Estrada. I guess I can let my Kameron Loe infatuation begin now.

Prince Fielder has been just awful with runners on base this year, borderline pathetic.
not borderline, just pathetic. in fact, he's pretty much just been awful regardless of whether or not there are runners on base. Only marginally related, in my opinion, the least valuable hit in all of baseball is a Prince Fielder single because it's usually going to take 3 hits or a homerun to score him.
You may run like Mays...

Prior to Macha I was the last person to ever complain about a Brewer manager, I defended Yost constantly around here, and for what it's worth I thought Macha handled the pen pretty well last year.

I admit I don't like the guy, mostly because he doesn't care about player development at all, but this year his bullpen use has been extremely frustrating, he's regressed. There is simply no reason to pitch 5 different relievers for 1 inning after the starter only goes 4, common sense should tell a manager to stretch a couple of those guys through 2 maybe 3 innings if possible instead of using the entire pen. He's created this mess by rarely running his best relievers more than IP when he can, and the flip side is that when a reliever like Hawkins obviously didn't have it, he left him out there to rot for over 40 pitches... what's the sense in that? Then he pitched him the next day again! I just really don't see any sort of plan being put into action game in and game out... well I take that back, if his plan to run every reliever 1 IP so he's available again the next day I think that plan sucks.

As far as Hoffman goes, I have a hard time with classifying hard hit balls as unlucky because they landed very close to being foul. There's nothing unlucky about very hittable speeds, in a very hittable location, getting getting hit hard... it's just bad pitching. The double down the line that started it all ended up thigh high right on the outside corner... that's exactly where a LH hitter is supposed to take that pitch. Even if Hart catches that Cantu ball (a bloop double no doubt), a run still scores and the Brewers are still losing going to the 8th. The base hit to score the final 2 runs was once again belt high on the outer half, hit hard and hit exactly where the batter is supposed to take it. I thought the pitch sequencing on the strike out was very well done, but the rest of inning was pretty poor, even the bunt was an easy pitch up in the zone.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Prince Fielder has been just awful with runners on base this year, borderline pathetic.
not borderline, just pathetic. in fact, he's pretty much just been awful regardless of whether or not there are runners on base. Only marginally related, in my opinion, the least valuable hit in all of baseball is a Prince Fielder single because it's usually going to take 3 hits or a homerun to score him.
It's pretty hard for him to do much when he's maybe getting 2 or 3 good pitches to hit in an entire game. To his credit, he's at least been patient and has still been getting on base even if the slugging isn't there. McGehee and Hart have done a good job of driving in runs after they pitch around Prince, but it'd still be nice to see Prince get hot. Hopefully tonight's homer was a step in the right direction.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

I'm late here as I missed the game, but I always wonder, if you're on the fence about keeping a pitcher in vs taking him out, why not just put him into the game to start another inning with the understanding that if he gets into trouble he is on a short leash? What I'm saying is, why not bring Bush out to start the 7th inning, and if he allows a baserunner without recording an out, yank him then. Put the starter, or reliever, out there to start the following inning, see how he does, and if necessary, take him out. I would do this all the time. Unfortunately we never do it so I don't know if it makes sense.

Removing Bush makes more sense given his blister, but apparently the Brewers considered scratching Bush from his start entirely. Couldn't Loe have taken the start, since he's been starting and pitching more than an inning tonight would have kept him on the schedule he had in Nashville?
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Removing Bush makes more sense given his blister, but apparently the Brewers considered scratching Bush from his start entirely. Couldn't Loe have taken the start, since he's been starting and pitching more than an inning tonight would have kept him on the schedule he had in Nashville?
Sounds like that's exactly what they considered. They took a calculated risk (obviously based on how Bush said he felt) that Bush's blister would hold out long enough to get him through the game. Basically, it did, as he went 6 innings and only gave up 3 runs. Funny thing is, were it not for the crazy low pitch count in the 6th, we may not have even questioned the move to pull him from the game.

Hey, I'll give Bush a lot of credit. I'm sure the blister bothered him during the game to some extent, just not enough to stop pitching until after the 6th. He did a pretty decent job. It's really, really hard to pitch with a blister, and even if it felt ok enough to pitch, it's also not too easy to pitch when you're always wondering when it's going to get bad.

I'm really glad the issue was only a blister. When I saw Dave in the dugout, after just 85 or so pitches, talking with Peterson & Caplinger, I got worried. Not that I think Dave is all that good anymore or anything, but he sure doesn't deserve another major injury.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived