Brewer Fanatic

Draft Pick Discussion, Rounds 21-50

Brewer Fanatic Staff

REMINDER: Brief video at the linkWRBL (Columbus, GA) video news report on 32nd round pick 1B Jason Rogers

Columbus- Junior first baseman Jason Rogers of the Columbus State University baseball team was drafted on Wednesday in the Major League Draft by the Milwaukee Brewers in the 32nd round. Rogers just completed an outstanding season in 2010 where he was voted the Peach Belt Conference Player of the Year and was named an All-American by the ABCA and Daktronics. Rogers has a year of college eligibility remaining and will have to make a decision to remain in college or sign a professional contract.

“I am very happy for Jason and believe he is certainly deserving of being selected in the MLB draft,“ says Head Coach Greg Appleton. “We would love to have Jason back next year but I think he is probably leaning towards getting started on his professional career.“

Rogers tied the Columbus State and Peach Belt Conference marks for homeruns in a single season with 26 in 2010. He set a new CSU mark with 46 extra-base hits in a season (26 HR, 18 2b, 2 3b), and narrowly missed the CSU record for RBI in a season with 86 (the record is 89 by Rodney Rutherford in 2007). He also set a new mark for slugging percentage in a season with a phenomenal mark of .869, breaking a 23-year-old record set by CSU Hall of Fame member Chip Duncan in 1987, and also for total bases in a season with 193.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Nick Shaw Tabbed By Brewers In Major League Draft

barry.edu/athletics

NEW YORK, N.Y.—Nick Shaw became the 15th Barry University (Miami Shores, FL) Buccaneer drafted in the MLB draft going to the Milwaukee Brewers in the 25th round (759th overall) yesterday.

“It was a great day, I’ll tell you that,” said Shaw. “It’s been one of my dreams to play professional ball.”

The 6-1 senior was a four-year letter winner for the Buccaneers playing at shortstop. For his career, Shaw hit .349 for the Bucs in 744 at bats. He ranks first in Buccaneer history in runs scored (247), walks (215), and double plays turned (125). In addition to the school record, his 215 walks is an NCAA record.

“It’s beautiful,” head coach Marc Pavao said. “He’s worked hard at Barry and I know he’s going to be a great professional.”

This season, Shaw hit .358 for the year, the fifth highest on the team. He scored 67 runs and drove in 41 RBI with a .954 fielding percentage. For his efforts he earned spots on the Daktronics All-South Second-Team, NCBWA All-South Region second-team, and Rawlings “Gold Glove” South Region honors in addition to being an All-SSC first-teamer.

Shaw expects to be assigned to one of the Brewers’ minor league affiliates, either their Arizona Brewers (rookie league) or the Helena Brewers (advanced rookie league).

“I talked to the Brewers this morning and I leave Sunday,” said Shaw. “I think the Brewers are a good team. I feel like there’s a lot of room to move up in the system.”

“It doesn’t matter what team he plays for.” Pavao said. “It’s great to see a team that believes in his ability the same way we did here.”

Nick Shaw will most likely go to one of the Brewers minor league affiliates. Photo by Joel Auerbach.

http://www.barry.edu/athletics/images-news/17320___TFMF_i1lqghmmerz4wabbgt0bhl55_499e9a9a-b3b0-4481-81bf-3ed6d7f97551_0___Selected.jpg

Brewer Fanatic Staff

LINK

Ryan Bernal of Florida Atlantic University is close to signing a professional contract. Milwaukee chose the senior righthanded reliever in the 23rd round. Bernal has an appointment set for later Thursday afternoon when he will make it official.

Bernal expects to begin his first professional season with the Helena Brewers of the rookie level Pioneer League.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

More on 32nd round pick 1B Jason Rogers

Rogers was named the Peach Belt Conference Player of the Year and a first-team Rawlings/American Baseball Coaches Association All-American after hitting a school- and conference-record-tying 26 home runs in 2010.

He said the Brewers and Cincinnati Reds were the only two teams that showed extensive interest in him, so he wasn't surprise that Milwaukee selected him with the 969th overall pick.

Rogers, who still can play one more season at Columbus State University, said he will take his time making a decision about whether to sign or return for his senior year.

"I'm really not sure what to do yet," Rogers said. "I'm just going to sit down and talk about it with my family and figure it out."

Bill Schroeder indicated his son's selection was merely a tip of the cap and that Schroeder fils wasn't planning on pursuing a baseball career, but nobody told his college coach:

"I'm excited for Billy," said GCU skipper Dave Stapleton. "He needs to

take advantage of this opportunity and run with it as far as he can. I'm

excited for him and excited for our program."

A pro career brewing?

Peter Gobis/Sun Chronicle

QUEENS, N.Y. - From the fields all around the town of Mansfield to the well-manicured baseball complex of Beach Field on the campus of Bishop Feehan High and down to one of the five boroughs of New York City, Greg Hopkins has been fielding grounders and belting the baseball around dozens of parks.

Hopkins just may do it someday now at Miller Park, the home of the Milwaukee Brewers.

The former Shamrock shortstop, currently a junior patrolling third base for the Big East Conference Tournament champion St. John's University Red Storm, was drafted in the 24th round of the Major League Baseball draft by the Brewers on the second day of the annual player selections.

"Right now, I'm just waiting to hear from Milwaukee and figure things out," said Hopkins, who was to confer with a Brewers representative by the weekend and listen to where he might fit into their future plans.

Hopkins could sign with the Brewers and possibly be sent to their Class A developmental team in Arizona. Or he could spend the summer on Cape Cod, playing with Falmouth of the Cape Cod League and return to St. John's in the fall for his senior season. "It's a lot to think about and I really would like to go back to St. John's," said Hopkins. "Like every kid growing up, it's something that you dream about, playing pro baseball. I'm going to listen to what the Brewers have to say and I'll look at my options - I'm just not sure yet where I'll be playing baseball next."

Hopkins was one of four St. John's players to be selected in the MLB Draft as relief pitcher Dan Buraws (12 saves) was taken in the 12th round by the Yankees, starting pitcher Bruce Kern (75 K in 86.2 innings) was taken by the Colorado Rockies in the 23rd round and relief pitcher Ryan Cole (3-1 in 28 appearances) was taken in the 34th round by Houston.

Hopkins becomes one of four products of the Bishop Feehan High baseball program to have been drafted as Ty Brennan was taken by the then Washington Senators, pitcher Tim Smith by the Red Sox and shortstop Brian Nelson by the Tigers.

Hopkins also becomes one of a small handful of former area high school stars to be drafted - North Attleboro's Allen Ripley (Red Sox), Tom Messier (San Francisco Giants) and Brian Sankey (LA Dodgers); Seekonk High's Sean Smith (Yankees); along with King Philip High's Joe Johnson (Atlanta Braves), Jeff Plympton (Red Sox) and Mike Lyons (Yankees)all receiving calls from major league teams.

"I'm honored to have been drafted," said Hopkins from New York. He had been contacted by some 18 major league teams throughout his junior season, in the form of letters and questionnaires. When the season ended two weeks ago for St. John's in the NCAA Division I World Series in Charlottesville, Va., Hopkins began receiving calls almost every day from teams, inquiring whether he would be interested in turning pro - one of them being the Red Sox.

"In the fall, I started getting a bunch of letters and when the season ended, it was calls from scouts wondering whether I would be signing (a pro contract)," said Hopkins, who has not secured an agent, per NCAA eligibility rules. "I guess I had some people notice me - it is pretty exciting." Hopkins was the 729th player selected overall in the MLB Draft. He was coming off a superb third varsity season with the Red Storm, his second as a starter at third base. Hopkins was one of only three St. John's players to start all 63 games, the Red Storm setting a single-season record for wins (43).

Hopkins batted .358 with 21 doubles, seven home runs and 59 runs batted in for the Red Storm, which had a terrific end of the season. St. John's beat South Florida, nationally top-20 ranked Louisville (twice) and UConn (3-0 in the title game) for the Big East Tournament championship.

St. John's then entered the Southeast Regional Division I College World Series and won three games, Hopkins having a four-game hitting streak among the five games that the Red Storm played. St. John's lost an opening round game to Ole Miss, dropped into the loser's bracket of the double-elimination format and then beat Virginia Commonwealth, Ole Miss and Virginia (6-5 with Hopkins slugging a two-run homer) before losing in the consolation round finals to the Cavaliers.

"We had a roller-coaster ride there for a while early in the season, losing some games, but then we came back and we beat some ranked teams," said Hopkins. "Really, we had no right winning the Big East title, but we got on a roll there at the end of the season."

Hopkins entered the St. John's University single-season record books, moving into the No. 4 spot with 92 hits, No. 4 in runs scored (65) and No. 4 in doubles (21). He also ranks sixth all-time with 44 career doubles and is No. 6 with 138 career RBI.

Hopkins played in the Shenandoah Valley Collegiate Baseball League last summer with the champion Haymarket, Va. Senators. If he does not sign a pro contract with the Brewers, he will play in the wooden bat Cape Cod League.

"I've checked up on the Milwaukee minor league affiliates, where the teams play, I did some research," said Hopkins. In truth, he almost believes it to be best for his baseball future to be drafted by a small market, developing franchise like the Brewers as opposed to the Red Sox or Yankees.

"I probably would have a better chance of moving up the ladder in an organization that hasn't had much success," said Hopkins. "The Red Sox, the Yankees, the major market teams use their (minor league) players as trade bait, they use free agency."

Hopkins was not surprised when the Brewers contacted him on Wednesday. "They just called to say that they drafted me and that we'll talk about things. I'll wait and see what they have to offer and I'll take it from there."

http://www.thesunchronicle.com/content/articles/2010/06/11/sports/7521513.jpg

Greg Hopkins (left)

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Hopkins also becomes one of a small handful of former area high school stars to be drafted - North Attleboro's Allen Ripley (Red Sox), Tom Messier (San Francisco Giants) and Brian Sankey (LA Dodgers); Seekonk High's Sean Smith (Yankees); along with King Philip High's Joe Johnson (Atlanta Braves), Jeff Plympton (Red Sox) and Mike Lyons (Yankees) all receiving calls from major league teams.

This is actually pretty cool. First of all, Mansfield, Massachusetts and Bishop Feehan High School are 45 minutes from my home, and should a signing be delayed, I have access to Cape Cod League baseball to watch Hopkins as the Brewers could still negotiate until mid-August. OK, enough about me.

I placed Brian Sankey's name in bold above. He is the current Northeast area scout for the Crew, so he is actually working on Hopkins and speaking to him as a local high school alumnus (same town, different high school) who also played pro ball.

Ex-Central standout Marzec drafted by Milwaukee Brewers

David Harpster/Massillon Independent

CANTON, OH — The last 24 hours have been a whirlwind for Eric Marzec. He doesn’t figure to get his bearings until he finds out where he’s going to begin his new career as a professional baseball player.

Marzec, a former standout at Central Catholic, fulfilled his childhood dream when the Milwaukee Brewers selected him Tuesday evening on the second day of Major League Baseball’s First-Year Player Draft. Marzec, a two-way standout who graduated from Youngstown State three weeks ago, was taken in the 30th round, 909th overall, by the Brewers.

“I keep telling people that it really hasn’t set in yet,” Marzec said Wednesday afternoon. “I’m really excited that it did happen, but until I get on a plane I won’t realize that I’m actually a pro baseball player. This is something I’ve dreaming about since I was 6-years-old in T-ball.

“All the different people throughout the years, whether it was in high school or even in college, making statements about how you have to be so, so good to do this and that, and that you’re not that good and you won’t get picked. It’s just fulfilling to show that hard work really does pay off.”

Marzec had an idea his phone would ring some time during the final two days of the draft. Baseball America ranked him as the 19th-best prospect in the state in what was considered an exceptional year for amateur talent in Ohio. Still, after not being selected following his junior season, when he first became draft eligible, Marzec wasn’t obsessing so much about getting a call that could determine his immediate future.

“I actually was on a plane home from Las Vegas with some of my buddies after we went out there to celebrate graduation,” Marzec said. “That was actually good because it’s sort of nerve racking to sit there and watch a computer, to see all those picks and keep wondering where you might go.

“It was a stressful day, but luckily I got to miss most of that. I was home for about an hour, just playing video games, when I got the call. I really didn’t want to watch it, but I had my phone next to me and it was pretty exciting when I got that call.”

Although he had high hopes entering his senior season as an outfielder/pitcher for the Penguins, Tuesday’s call from a Brewers’ scout was one Marzec didn’t know would come following a freak accident in early March that threatened his college career.

Playing center field against St. Joseph’s in Philadelphia, Marzec collided with right fielder Armani Johnson while both were tracking a ball into the gap. Marzec has no recollection of the incident that knocked him out and being taken from the field in an ambulance.

“It was unbelievable. I guess I was knocked unconscious while I was in the air, my body was limp and my face hit the ground on the warning track,” Marzec said. “It was a total freak thing ... I was in ICU for three days with a concussion, bleeding on the brain, all kinds of stuff. It was pretty messed up. I thought school was done for this year and I definitely thought baseball was done.”

Marzec, though, managed to defy the odds and work his back to the Penguins after missing only a month.

“You learn a lot and really appreciate some things after coming back from something like that,” he said. “I know in an instant that I could be done playing because it’s happened to me. Lord willing, I was able to get healthy pretty quickly and was able to come back and play. Now I have my chance and I’m pretty excited.”

Marzec is even more fired up about the opportunity to become a pitcher full-time in the minor leagues. Recruited as an outfielder, Marzec finished with a .310 average, 17 home runs and 84 RBIs during his YSU career. However, he caught scouts’ attention as a late-inning reliever, where he featured a low-to-mid 90s fastball and a swing-and-miss slider. The 5-foot-11, 210-pounder was 3-3 with a 3.92 ERA in 20 appearances this spring, 18 in coming in relief. Marzec struck out 56 in just 39 innings and finished with five saves.

“I’m excited about it. I’ve learned a lot from my pitching coach here (Tom Lipare), more about the mental side of the game and about being a pitcher,” Marzec said. “Now I get to go be with some pro coaches and teachers and I think they’ll focus more with me more on the mechanical side. I know there’s more room for me to work harder physically, which is why I’m excited to see what happens.”

Marzec said he expects to sign a contract by the end of the week and head to the Brewers’ spring training complex in Arizona for a short camp with other recent draftees. From there he could either stay in Arizona with Milwaukee’s team in the Arizona Rookie League, or head to Helena, Mont., to play in the rookie-level Pioneer League.

Wherever he ends up, Marzec got a taste of lengthy road trips and baseball in obscure locations following a stint in a summer league last year. He can’t wait to do it again.

“I played in the Northwoods League last year and some people have said it’s the closest thing to minor league ball you can do in college,” Marzec said. “You live with a host family, you play 70 games in 73 days and you’re on a bus taking trips all over the Midwest.

“I think of that as my internship and this will be like a regular job. People say it’s a grind, but for me it just fit and I loved it. I’m just excited to be able to experience that again and hopefully it’s a step up from what I got to do last year.”

Post-draft news and notes
Eduardo A. Encina/TampaBay.com

Coming into the draft, the Milwaukee Brewers were very interested in
Jesuit lefthander Daniel Gibson – and it will be
interesting to see what kind of pitch the team will make the UF signee
after drafting him in the 26th round Tuesday.

Entering the draft, Gibson made his desire to go to college clear,
which likely scared off some teams. The Brewers, however, were vigilant
in their pursuit of Gibson, offering him a signing bonus that is
believed to be in the neighborhood of $500,000 earlier in the day
Tuesday.

Gibson turned it down, but the Brewers still drafted him.

Two Holyoke Blue Sox chosen in MLB draft
Bill Wells/MassLive.com

[Derrick] Shaw said if negotiations go as planned, he’ll sign with the Brewers
in a week or two.

“It was a dream come true,” said Shaw, 21, who finished his
sophomore season at Florida A & M University in Tallahassee. “Ever
since I was small, my passion was to play baseball. To have the
opportunity ... most of the time it’s about money, but the money area
will come. The opportunity and experience to play professional baseball
and the opportunity to say I made it ... now it’s time to take it to the
next level.”

The Brewers told Shaw he’ll most likely be sent
to their A-level [sic] short season team.

Three More Elon Players Taken on Final Day of MLB Draft

ElonPhoenix.com

Mike Melillo became the fourth member of the Elon Phoenix baseball team to be selected in the Major League Baseball First-Year Player Draft when the Milwaukee Brewers selected the senior catcher in the 31st round on Wednesday. Melillo was the 939th overall selection.

"I can't really thank the coaches at Elon enough for all the extra time they put in to help me get this opportunity," said Melillo. "They worked with me and helped me develop to put me in this position. As a senior, you don't have a lot of leverage and I was just hoping to have the chance to keep playing."

Melillo hit .310 and led the team with 58 runs scored and five triples in his senior season. A first-team All-Southern Conference selection, he also drove in 56 runs, hit 12 doubles and belted 11 home runs. Melillo finished the year with 23 multi-hit games and 15 multi-RBI performances.

Melillo leaves Elon as the program's all-time home run king, hitting 39 homers in his four seasons in the maroon and gold. He also ranks among the school's all-time career leaders in hits (ninth with 207), runs (fifth with 166), doubles (tied for 10th with 41), RBI (sixth with 163), at bats (tied for ninth with 652) and games played (10th with 206). He was a career .317 hitter for the Phoenix.

"I'm going to remember the relationships I was able to build with my teammates and coaches at Elon," added Melillo. "Being a part of a winning program and advancing to the Regionals three times in a row is very special."

Not cool BK, haha. So, how long do we own Chad's rights?

I fell for that too. Didn't Jake Locker sign a deal with the Angels last year even though he has no immediate plans to play baseball? I'd like to see the Brewers do that with Jones, if it doesn't cost too much. I think Jones has awesome baseball potential, better than in football. He's a tweener in football, an over-sized safety without the agility to cover deep. That type of safety is becoming dinosaurs in the NFL. I like D'Vontrey Richardson, and Jones is similar but was a more productive, polished baseball player with a better arm and even more power potential.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Bleacher Report has an interview with 34th-rounder (and Grafton product) Conor Fisk. Here's Fisk on signing:

Well, they haven’t offered me anything yet because they’re doing a summer follow so they’ll watch me play my high school summer season and then they’ll offer me something, but I mean if they gave me an offer I would love to sign and play pro ball. It’s always been my dream and I mean going in the draft next year it’s no guarantee I’ll get drafted by the Brewers again. Another team could pick me up...But it’s definitely something I’ve been thinking about. Also, going to college is something too, so…But I’d really like to sign. I’d really like to do that.

Brewers make pitch to Matyas

Chris Schuck/Lake County Reporter

Scott Matyas passed on becoming a New York Yankee last spring. Can the pride of North Prairie tell the Brewers 'no thanks' as well?

That's the question the University of Minnesota senior-to-be pitcher is asking himself after being selected in the 40th round (1,209th pick overall) of the Major League Baseball Amateur Draft on Wednesday.

Last year, he was picked in the 29th round by the New York Yankees but elected to go back and pitch for the Golden Gophers. College was where his heart was a year ago, and he plans on finishing school regardless of his career decision.

"I guess my stock rose a lot last year, but I never seriously considered signing," said Matyas, a right-handed pitcher and graduate of Kettle Moraine High School. "I told the Yankees up front I wanted to stay in school. I knew we had a good team coming back, and I know I made the right decision. I love being at Minnesota."

Matyas, who had Tommy John surgery after his junior year in high school, decided to redshirt his freshman year for the Golden Gophers. He believed that was a good move.

"The coaching staff felt it was in my best interest," Matyas said. "I learned a lot and was still getting to face college hitters in practice. I have no regrets about it."

After his first season on the hill for Minnesota, where he posted modest numbers (3-4 record, 4.45 earned run average in 18 appearances), he returned as the team's top reliever in 2009. It was a role he relished.

"I was thrilled with the closer role," Matyas said. "I think everyone needs their role to be defined. It was really a good fit."

Matyas opened eyes last year, breaking the school record with 15 saves. His 10 saves in Big 10 Conference play also set a new Golden Gophers record. His 2.22 earned run average led the team, he struck out 45 batters in 28 1/3 innings, and opponents hit just .202 against him.

Little changed this season, where Matyas posted a 2.19 ERA and a 5-1 record and eight saves in 27 appearances. He fanned 60 hitters in 37 innings.

"I really needed to improve my command when I got here, and I believe the past two seasons I've done that, and that's help put me on the radar I guess," Matyas said.

Now it's the Brewers making a pitch.

"Hopefully we can work something out," Matyas said. "I've grown up being a Brewers fan, so I think it would actually be cool to pitch professionally in their organization, but I have a price, so we'll see."

The Golden Gophers led the Big Ten in ERA for the first time since 2000. Minnesota won the league's regular season and tournament championship, with Matyas named to the All-Tournament team in the process.

http://media.journalinteractive.com/images/jcpg-kmi_matyas_0609.jpg

(Christopher Mitchell)

So what's the scoop on Johnny Dishon? I never met a toolsy OF from a big time baseball school I didn't like. How does he compare to Demetrius McKlevie? He signed quick, and played for LSU with a number of other very talented OF'ers. I'm not much of an amatuer baseball mind, so any help would be great. I have read Colby's report, so that's all I really know.

I have read Colby's report, so that's all I really know.

What else do you need to know? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I was pretty impressed that the team signed Dishon so quickly, since he obviously is a talented overall athlete but just couldn't crack LSU's regular lineup for regular playing time. He's got very good speed, exciting power potential and a strong arm, so now it's simply a matter of him getting as much playing experience as possible. While Dishon didn't play football, D'Vontrey Richardson might be a better comparison given the lack of playing time in college but being in school for three years. He's really a boom or bust kind of prospect, but there doesn't seem to be much "bust" involved since they used such a low pick to take him. The Brewers scouts really did their homework with this kid to gauge he signability.

Haha, thanks CJ!

I wonder if he's pegged for Helena being a college guy? Speed, power, arm? Sounds great!

This comes totally without concrete evidence, but the Brewers seem to be very good at determining signability and price. Ross, Dishon, and Hawn all had other pretty solid options, but the Brewers got them in the fold quick.

Forgive me, but when do we find out what the bonuses ended up being?

Archived